Could you see a television network buying the rights to use Toonami in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rho

12 - 6 cloud?
I was thinking more along the lines of them actually rebroadcasting Toonami segments from the day they were initially aired, starting with March 17, 1997.

Catching my drift?

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
I was thinking more along the lines of them actually rebroadcasting Toonami segments from the day they were initially aired, starting with March 17, 1997.

Catching my drift?

The segments don't mean much without the shows. A block is only as good as the shows which aired on it.

A lot of people tend to associate Toonami with DBZ, Gundam, Tenchi et al, but CN no longer has those shows, so seeing them on Boom is a stretch. However, if they still have the rigths to their original lineup, as Sketch mentioned, then that could possibly work.

I don't know if CN still has the broadcasting rights for Thundercats, though...

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
I don't know if CN still has the broadcasting rights for Thundercats, though...

Thundercats is outright owned by Turner, so yes, they can air it anytime they want. Same goes for Real Adventures of Johnny Quest and the shows that made up Cartoon Roulette.

That, added with the fact that they (I think) still have the airing rights to Voltron, are what makes me think that there's still a chance Boomerang could at least pay homage to Toonami by showing all four, together, in one block.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy

Catching my drift?

I dig where you're coming from, however, people watched Toonami for the shows, not for the wraparounds. The programs were the ice cream, while the wraparounds were just the candy sprinkles on top; a nice bonus, but not necessary for the overall enjoyment of the product.

Anyway, Boomerang is available in so few homes that I don't see such a move making a very big impact, if any at all.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
I dig where you're coming from, however, people watched Toonami for the shows, not for the wraparounds. The programs were the ice cream, while the wraparounds were just the candy sprinkles on top; a nice bonus, but not necessary for the overall enjoyment of the product.

Well that's like... your... opinion... man...

I for one loved the wraparounds enough to watch the whole block for them even when I didn't particularly care for the shows because honestly it was a rare thing when the entire Toonami line-up was worth watching to me but the bumpers kept me interested.

But we've already been over this they can re-create the first line-up of Toonami right down to the bumpers assuming WS still has them (and I expect they do). Moltar Toonami on Boomerang would be pretty freak'n sweet. I don't expect it to happen but hey a guy can dream.

Raidon Makoto

Long Live The Heroes

Anyway, Boomerang is available in so few homes that I don't see such a move making a very big impact, if any at all.
The wraparounds are the cone, not the Sprinkles. And just so you know, the cone is my favorite part of ice cream.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Well, I'm not going to debate the importance of the wraparounds, as opinions can and will differ, depending on who you ask. Myself, I never put gave much thought to them unless they were exceptionally well done.

Anyways, like Sketch already said, the Moltar hosted Toonami would be easy for Boom to re-create, as Cartoon Network owns all of the shows on Toonami's lineup from that era. I just don't see the point of bringing in the TOM wraparounds to Boomerang when many of the shows that aired during TOM's era are no longer owned by CN.

BigMac

Rebranded
I have the feeling that in the future all the shows that were on Toonami will be a new channel designed for teens and that includes adult animation and live-action.

Pretty bad felling...:p

Silverstar

I have the feeling that in the future all the shows that were on Toonami will be a new channel designed for teens and that includes adult animation and live-action.

Pretty bad felling...:p

That would only be a bad thing if we couldn't get this channel. ;)

Bozhi V.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigMac

Rebranded
I was mainly inspirated by 2x2, partially by Animax and Portugal's SIC Radical ;)

SIC Radical is very popular here. I'm proud to say that the DragonBall series are the most popular anime series in Portugal. And it's still on!

Bozhi V.

SIC Radical is very popular here. I'm proud to say that the DragonBall series are the most popular anime series in Portugal. And it's still on!
Unfortunately,Dragonball was never broadcasted here,although there's a rumors, that some DB series would be broadcasted this year on Animax Central Europe :/
BTW,how do you see my fictional channel?

Lighthammer

Bringer of the Light
Why would any other network buy the Toonami brand from Turner? There's no reason to do that. Especially since Toonami has lost what little respect the general public had for it by now.

Wow Sketch, you're completely jaded over what CN did to Toonami. I don't blame you, no one could.

Here's somethign to consider though: I think its fair to say Toonami wasn't just a block, I think CN unknowningly transformed it into a symbol more powerful then they can understand. Some how, in the midsts of CN's transformation, they completely failed to care about the legacy they started.

Toonami isn't a brand, its a symbol. It's a symbol that time will eventually forget but I think --- no, I believe it will be years before Toonami is truly recognized to be dead and forgotten.

No matter how much we evaluate the bad times of Toonami, we'll all continue to remember the best of toonami fondly.

Now the question still remainds, would CN give up the brand? Honestly, I cant see them turning down a serious offer. They aren't making money from it now, they don't intend to make money from it in the future and they very obviously don't care about the brand. I cant realistically imagine CN turning down a serious bid for the brand.

The only question I have is who would seriously take the brand? Our big problem right now is there is no serious venue for a Toonami like network anywhere on Cable / Satalite. Toonami DID pinoneer streaming services, but it just doesn't seem to do Toonami justice scooping up the brand name to become a streaming only service (for now).

There's only a handful of networks I could see POSSIBLY wanting it (some of these are a stretch).

• Funimation: They have been working on building a network for themselves for YEARS now and they were a strong contributor to Toonami. They might have an interest.

• Disney: This is a bit of a stretch. Disney just recently killed off Jetix. I cant see Disney cutting off Jetix and making a bid for Toonami, but they certainly have access to a lot of Toonami like shows ATM. I'm not sure Disney would honestly grab any new shows to support the Toonami Brand. If anything, I think they would just take their Toonami like shows and stick them under that brand. It would probably die off within 2 years similar to how Cartoon Express did.

• Nick: Yep, this is a wildcard. But lets face it, Nick had what CN wanted to be and Nick wanted what CN had. This would be kind of sick and twisted. I would have a hard time stomaching CN would sell Toonami to Nick, but they have done weirder things. Nick might actually do justice by Toonami too.

• SyFy: SyFy might have a serious interest in building a cartoon block. It's just hard to judge them right now.
There's defiantly some nearly unbelievable possibilities.

Silverstar

Most networks want to create their own blocks and brands, not purchase them from other networks. And despite how dear Toonami is to so many of us, it is just that: a brand name. I don't see some other cable channel willing to buy the Toonami name from CN any more than I see CN attempting to sell it off to someone else.

I'm really not trying to come off like a jerk, but if any of these cable networks want to create an action cartoon block, they can and will make one of their own and name it themselves. Nobody's going to pay for the name Toonami just because a few fans on the internet refuse to let Toonami go.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Well actually Knighthammer has some points. Many companies have seen the success of Toonami. They could make something of their own but should they feel Toonami is what they want it's not out of the realm of possibility.

*ponders a Toonami block on FUNimation channel* mmmm nice but no doubt lacking any non-anime which could make it rather stale rather quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts