Could the Fox and Marvel deal lead to the return of animated X-Men?

RoryWilliams

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
If both of the X-Men movies do well commercially, I wouldn't be surprised if a new X-Men animated series were to be produced in the wake of the films' success. Just don't count on said series being a co-production.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, despite claims to the contrary on their part, Marvel Animation still has the rights to the X-Men in terms of animation. And if this signals a better working relationship between Marvel and Fox, and possibly Marvel getting the merchandising rights to the X-Men back, then there would be more incentive to feature and use the X-Men in the cartoons ;).

RoryWilliams

Oh I don't think Fox ever had the animation rights. It was quite clear it was a case of Marvel just not wanting to use the X-Men because they didn't want to promote a rival franchise. I was wondering if them coming together to make the TV shows meant things might be slightly better between the two now, leading to the return of the X-Men to cartoons.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, hopefully this leads to a better relationship between Marvel and Fox in general so Marvel Animation might be more lenient on letting characters whose movie rights are owned by Fox appear in their cartoon :).

Frontier

Staff member
Would be kinda funny if Marvel Animation starts using the X-Men more in the cartoons around the same time Disk Wars finally airs over here, since there's no getting around the X-Men being in the latter :p.

Spike Spiegel

"She's...Brazilian."
If they did, I wonder what new storylines they'd adapt. Messiah Complex? The Whedon/Ellis Astonishing run? Or maybe they'd make up new original storylines like with X-Men Evolution...?

Wolverine and the X-Men was good, but still
a bit of a Phoenix Saga rehash.

I really liked what they did with Emma Frost and would like to see a nuanced adaptation of that character again.

McMax

I understand that Marvel controls animation rights to all its characters but have the attitude that why should they produce a show that they put up all the expenses but get only a portion of the benefits. I don’t think we will get an X-Man show but seeing them on AA and USM might happen.

Bit Cloud

Now we might get to see more X-Men related characters(besides just Wolverine and Juggernaut) making guest appearances in AA and USM and the terms "mutant" and "X-Men" can be used as well. Wolverine can be openly acknowledged as a member of those groups, cause so far AA and USM have gone out of their way to not acknowledge the existence of the X-Men and mutants(Wolverine doesn't even have the X symbol on his outfit). I would love if in USM would get an episode where Spidey and Power Man is in a team with Wolverine, Black Widow and Captain America(yes like the Marvel Heroes video game).

Last edited:

TheLemsterPju

*ahem*

tumblr_nwllu7deDx1u7vukeo1_400.png

* This was from a month ago.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
The fact of the matter is that the X-Men family of characters is not as important on Disney/Marvel's agenda to promote at the moment. Obviously that could change more in the future.

As a result, other characters that didn't get as much attention in the past are getting the spotlight. X-Men have had plenty of chances in the past, time for something new and different ATM.

TheLemsterPju

Something new and different from Marvel? Like a watchable cartoon?:p

If they weren't watchable by the masses, none of them would be getting renewed. ;) (Regardless of people's unfounded and bullcrap theories that "Marvel ignores all criticism and renews them for the hell of it.")

Frontier

Staff member
If they weren't watchable by the masses, none of them would be getting renewed. ;) (Regardless of people's unfounded and bullcrap theories that "Marvel ignores all criticism and renews them for the hell of it.")
Well, I think to an extent each original Marvel cartoon was guaranteed a season 2 regardless of ratings or reaction.

I think it was very early into both USM and Assemble that we got confirmation of a season 2 for both shows, and SMASH got a season 2 despite not having any toys coming out (which is a big deal for action cartoons) and pushing a property (the Hulks) that isn't one of Marvel's top priorities compared to The Avengers or Spider-Man.

Guardians only had, like, 2 to 3 episodes in before they announced season 2 and with a plot summary for it already ready, so I have to imagine that it was planned well before they actually premiered the show.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Well, I think to an extent each original Marvel cartoon was guaranteed a season 2 regardless of ratings or reaction.

OK, so what does it say when Avengers Assemble is getting a third season, and Ultimate Spider-Man will soon enter its fourth? If you go by some of the false media reports for these shows, they shouldn't have gone past even one season or 13 episodes. There were Ultimate Spider-Man toys, but they've basically run their course. Ben Dixon told me that Ultimate Spider-Man is one of the hottest shows on Netflix which is one reason Disney moved forward with a new season.

I think it was very early into both USM and Assemble that we got confirmation of a season 2 for both shows, and SMASH got a season 2 despite not having any toys coming out (which is a big deal for action cartoons) and pushing a property (the Hulks) that isn't one of Marvel's top priorities compared to The Avengers or Spider-Man.

Agents of SMASH did have toys. Plus, Hulk is a big merchandising part of the Avengers brand.

Guardians only had, like, 2 to 3 episodes in before they announced season 2 and with a plot summary for it already ready, so I have to imagine that it was planned well before they actually premiered the show.

That's probably more due to the strength of Guardians as a brand, and there's quite a bit of Guardians merchandise to go around these days. Guardians is a hot ticket property right now, so a TV show on the air will continue to push that. It's like TMNT. As long as the toys keep selling, they will keep making cartoons.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts