Could Streaming Shows aired on Cable Television be a good thing, bad thing, or neutral?

Good thing, Bad thing, or neutral?

• Total voters

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
This thread was inspired by Could Disney Plus Content Air On Disney XD? thread by SweetShop209.

As we all know, streaming is becoming a lot more popular than cable television. It allowed the creators to have creative freedom, people can check out shows anytime they want without worry about scheduling, and streaming was much more cheaper than a standard cable package.

However, here's something that I'd noticed for the past year or two. There are some streaming shows that aired on cable television as of late.

Here are some examples: Bojack Horseman, a Netflix animated series, came out on Comedy Central. Tuca and Bertie, another Netflix animated series, will be premiering on Adult Swim for it's 2nd season. Universal Kids Channel reran some Netflix animated series that were produced by DreamWorks Animation on the channel. Lastly, Kamp Koral, a Spongebob prequel spinoff, premiered on Paramount Plus, is going to be premiering on Nickelodeon later this year.

Granted, there are some shows that got handled the other way around like Close Enough was originally going to be a TBS series, but got moved to HBO Max a couple of years later. Infinity Train was originally gonna be a HBO Max series from the very beginning, but HBO Max itself got delayed, and Infinity Train was moved to Cartoon Network for a bit until HBO Max's official release. Heck, Summer Camp Island got moved to HBO Max with it's third season (I think) after it's initial run on Cartoon Network.

Yeah, I do noticed a bit of a trend lately that not a of lot of people talk about. Honestly, I find that very interesting.

With the recent news of 101 Dalmatian Street, an international Disney Channel series and a Disney Plus series, will be premiering on Disney XD in America this month, that got me wondering: could streaming series being aired on cable television being a good thing, bad thing, or a neutral thing?

Some people might consider it a good thing because it'll help streaming series get more exposure on cable TV since not a lot people can't afford streaming services and relying on cable. On the other hand, there are some people out there might consider a bad thing since some series doesn't really fit for cable TV, dealing with standard and practices mandates, ratings and demographics, and streaming series will always get attention through social media anyway. Or there are some people who are neutral with it.

With me, I'm more neutral with it. It really just depends on quality of the show itself, the networks handling it, and the availability of it on cable as well. If the networks take care of them properly, maybe we could see more streaming shows on cable in the future.

What do you guys think of this? Yes? No? Maybe so? Let me know!

Discuss away!

Zorak Masaki

I'd like to see it myself, but I can see why they dont do it (people who are only interested in that show would have no incentive to subscribe). Though Star Trek Discovery (not animated, I know) and Harley Quinn were aired on CBS and SyFy respectively. I can see Adult Swim possibly airing Close Enough and Infinity Train once they lose the Fox shows.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
I don't think it's really a bad idea to air streaming shows on cable television. You will still have some viewers that are staunch cable television viewers and will avoid streaming services. It might also be worth considering for streaming shows to be added to on demand sections so viewers can watch the show at any time.

ToonsJazzLover

It depends on how much they have to edit the running time to fit to 22 mins but as someone who’s still pro-live TV, I’m really interested in seeing shows that were made for streaming on cable tv. It allows viewers to give a new show a chance if they can’t afford to buy another streaming service (especially if it’s not from Netflix). ViacomCBS and NBCU are already adapting to this practice but WarnerMedia is taking their time to air HBOMAX originals and I’m very interested to see most of them on CN & AS (like Tig N Seek, Close Enough).

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
It depends on how much they have to edit the running time to fit to 22 mins but as someone who’s still pro-live TV, I’m really interested in seeing shows that were made for streaming on cable tv. It allows viewers to give a new show a chance if they can’t afford to buy another streaming service (especially if it’s not from Netflix). ViacomCBS and NBCU are already adapting to this practice but WarnerMedia is taking their time to air HBOMAX originals and I’m very interested to see most of them on CN & AS (like Tig N Seek, Close Enough).
Yup, that's a good point.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I think they should, it's weird to shut out people who pay for cable meaning they pay cable companies to pay these channels only to say hahahaha no you have to buy our streaming service to watch. Especially it's these companies fault cable is in the spot it is in the first place by charging cable companies more for value. Disney's ESPN is the most expensive channel before you get to Showtime/HBO/Starz etc.

The smartest thing the phone company did with their streaming service, HBO Max, was make it where if you are paying for HBO you can sign in with your cable company and watch HBO Max... Disney and other shows should have a way to do that too.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I think they should, it's weird to shut out people who pay for cable meaning they pay cable companies to pay these channels only to say hahahaha no you have to buy our streaming service to watch. Especially it's these companies fault cable is in the spot it is in the first place by charging cable companies more for value. Disney's ESPN is the most expensive channel before you get to Showtime/HBO/Starz etc.

The smartest thing the phone company did with their streaming service, HBO Max, was make it where if you are paying for HBO you can sign in with your cable company and watch HBO Max... Disney and other shows should have a way to do that too.
Yeah, I agree.

harry580

Disney could have do that if they haven't shuttered the channels in europe (kill Disney XD but not disney channels)

Dudley

Staff member
I think it’s good, but from a business standpoint, it depends on which platform makes more money. They’ll still do it, they’ll just wait longer to do it to take advantageous of the exclusivity window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is obviously clear that airing shows already available on streaming services on television networks do not help and will not get good viewership
Every show I have seen has not done well
I feel like these big companies like Disney are doing everything they can to keep their channels relevant and that’s embarrassing.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
It is obviously clear that airing shows already available on streaming services on television networks do not help and will not get good viewership
Every show I have seen has not done well
I feel like these big companies like Disney are doing everything they can to keep their channels relevant and that’s embarrassing.
Yeah, I can see what you mean.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts