Could Square-Enix Buy Back The Full Rights To Kingdom Hearts!?

Latest News & Videos

SourSweetGone

Horde scientist
The Secret Ending to KHIII got me thinking, you know at this point the KH franchise would probably be a lot better off without the Disney Gimmick at this point. I've heard from a lot of people a lot of the Disney/Pixar Worlds felt like really forced compared to past games and that the new attraction specials or what ever did little to nothing to actually add to the game play. And the worlds seem to be little outside of padding to pace out the game between the main story.

So my question is do you think Square-Enix could ever get back the rights to the franchise lock-stock and barrel and move past Disney. The original KH characters like their FF counterparts seem to be popular enough at this point to stand on their own after all. And the prospect of a future Kingdom Hearts game using SE worlds like TWEWY, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc is pretty enticing. Plus if they weren't restricted to solely Disney they could become as wonderful and ridiculous a crossover chaos as Smash Bros.! Imagine Studio Ghibli worlds or SEGA, Bandai Namco, maybe even Nintendo worlds in future games! How crazy would that be!?

I guess what i'm saying is I feel both The KH franchise is old enough to stand on its own without Disney, and the prospect of Sora crossing over with other non-disney I.P. is pretty neat as well. So....what do you think!?

SourSweetGone

Horde scientist
Watching the Cutscenes for KHIII though it feels that most of the Disney stuff is just unnecessary padding/ shameless movie plugging/promotion. Like outside of Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Pete & Maleficent is any other Disney element even necessary? And really the Xehanort Saga did a pretty good job of Wrapping-up most of their stories as well (Save maybe Maleficent, her sticking around as a baddie for a bit more makes sense I guess)

But in general it feels like most of the Disney & original KH elements are becoming less and less aesthetically compatible and at the end one or the other has to give. Plus given the secret ending in KHIII shows Shibuya from either TWEWY or that one fake game advertised in the Toy Story world (that might not be all that fake after all I guess) It seems like even Noumura might want to try to get KH games to stand more on their own.

Freddy

Not only is Disney important part of KH's DNA (without it, it would be just another JRPG), but KH3 did better job utilizing Disney worlds than most games past the first one. They weren't just movie recaps with Sora and co., but had actual thematic weight to the main story.

I think you are letting your hate of Disney color your opinion.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I've only played the Kingdom Hearts games for Nintendo Systems and even that, I've only beaten two of them, so I can't say how well they use the Disney Worlds in the Playstation games. The Disney gimmick seems to be pretty important for Kingdom Hearts. That's what makes it stand out from other JRPGs. The original characters do seem to be pretty popular in their own rights, but I thought a lot of appeal for Kingdom Hearts is seeing how they incorporate different Disney worlds and exploring/battling through them. In the few games I've played in during the series, I just like battling in different Disney Worlds and I'm pretty sure fans like speculating on what properties could be included the games too.

Kingdom Hearts without Disney would seem like a pretty big risk and I don't think that they'd be willing to take it.

Mandouga

In other words, SweetSourGone, it's not going to happen. Kingdom Hearts is just as much a part of Disney history as any of their classic movies (which I refuse to call the Disney "animated canon"). For this reason, it's just as much a Disney creation as it as a Square(-Enix)* one (which is actually why I even play the games in the first place^).

*I say "Square(-Enix)" because the original game came out before they merged with Enix.

^I've been playing the games because Disney is a part of them. Otherwise, it would've just looked like more of the same. Disney is actually what makes these games different.. By the way, Freddy, they're not exactly "(J)RPGs" (they're made in Japan, but they're not RPGs exactly). There's no turn-based fighting (and no, that one part of Kingdom Hearts: Re:coded doesn't count), although Chain of Memories does have random encounters. They play more like The Legend of Zelda where you fight directly instead of just putting in commands and watching what happens, which is a good thing, because making them turn based would have frustrated a number of people who like Disney (especially those who like Disney, but don't usually play video games).

Dudley

Staff member
I don’t remember if this was speculation or not, but I heard Disney put limits on how certain characters could be used which led to them focusing more on original characters. Thus leading to Organization XIII becoming more important to the story.
Personally, the only reason I like KH is to run around in the Disney worlds, and fighting the Disney villains alongside the Disney heroes. I rather they go back to how it was in the first game where the Disney villains collaborated together instead of making all these original villains take center stage. Making it more Disney focus is the way to go, not remove it entirely.

Mandouga

Well, I don't know. I feel both sides are equally represented. I believe Tetsuya Normura mentioned that Disney wouldn't let Mickey use a sword (not a Keyblade, but an actual sword; probably the Dream Sword from the original game in Sora's "Dive into the Heart"), which sounds pretty fair to me. In any case, they clearly don't want it to sound too much like a glorified fanfic. Either way, they don't want it to be too Disney, or too Square-Enix...