Could Saturday Mornings return now that the threshold for ratings success is lower?

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

aegisrawks

Apr 25, 2010
Ratings
109 7
Paraguays
See. I know they are deader than dead, and please believe me when I say I dont lose any sleep over that... But now that,,,,

-There is a lower threshold for success in ratings
-There is a push to null the EI Law for Kids Television along with other restrictions
-There is absolutely no way there can be new Kids Cable channels. They get buried and get utterly bad ratings.
-The Saturday Morning slots are death slots sure... but now that there is so little competition in the area they could work.

I know this looks more and more like random grasping at straws but I think its still worth discussing.

Aug 31, 2018
Ratings
17 2
none of your business
Even with the E/I law, Saturday mornings could make a comeback. I believe, however, that E/I digital subchannels are an untapped market. Since many companies own both cable kids channels and broadcast networks, they could make their kids channels broadcast subchannels(Universal Kids for NBC, Cartoon Network for CW, DIsney for ABC). If only people would care...

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I don't know about that. Ratings weren't even a huge factor as to why traditional Saturday morning blocks aren't around anymore. They just weren't profitable enough to keep around and being extremely outdated didn't help matters either. Some small digital channels could gain more attention by having their own Saturday morning block, but I don't think it would be enough to bring those kind of blocks back completely. As much nostalgic fondness as people have for Saturday morning blocks, I don't think that they would be particularly popular in today's TV market.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
938 16
Springfield, MO
I thought Saturday Morning cartoons had already returned, if you count "KidsCLick".

But to answer you question: A return of a Saturday Morning programming block on an existing channel? Probably not. What channel would carry it? CBS, ABC, and NBC aren't going to drop their news programs on Saturday mornings. FOX is now being bought by Disney. The CW is co-owned by CBS and Warner Bros. I don't see either of those making an attempted comeback.

Cartoon Network/Boomerang/Nickelodeon/Disney/Disney XD are not going to be the platform for such a return (though I'd like Boomerang to try it, with a retro Saturday Morning block).

No, I think the only path for return is the internet (which is kinda what KidsClick is doing, or so I thought...the problem there is - that's not a great lineup of cartoons).

If Netflix (or Amazon, or whoever) was willing to set aside a separate website that would broadcast a 3 to 6 hour block of episodes, every single Saturday morning (complete with a programming block host, like TOM from Toonami, or the old Kids WB bumper skits in-between episodes).

Can you imagine a 4 hour block like this:

8:00 AM: Voltron
8:30 AM: Trollhunters
9:00 AM: Hilda
9:30 AM: The Hollow
10:00 AM: Stretch Armstrong and the Freedom Fighters
10:30 AM: The Dragon Prince
11:00 AM: She-Ra And the Princesses of Power
11:30 AM: Harvey Street Kids

Now that's a Programming Block! And if they use this as a promo for people to sign up for Netflix ("come watch these episodes anytime!") that would be a way to make it work...

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Ratings
736 1
Canada
Even with the E/I law, Saturday mornings could make a comeback. I believe, however, that E/I digital subchannels are an untapped market. Since many companies own both cable kids channels and broadcast networks, they could make their kids channels broadcast subchannels(Universal Kids for NBC, Cartoon Network for CW, DIsney for ABC). If only people would care...
That would damage the subscription revenue they get from the cable companies. You're far more likely to see a player without a cable kids presence launch a sub-channel than Disney, Warner, Viacom or Comcast. The problem is finding a library of shows to support it with.

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
1,032 5
Colorado
It would be nice, but I don't think it would done. The stations already trying to get rid of the E/I rules because they feel that's in the way. They prefer more local news , extra sports , infomercials and etc. to having to children's TV. Sinclair even trying it is a surprise. Disney would prefer that people watch their cable channels or when that comes out go to their streaming service than try and program ABC's morning. Comcast seems focused on that 24/7 Universal kids. FOX and CBS don't seem to have a large interest in that all. CW even gave up on 2 hours for their E/i (my CW station replaced it with local news) . I think they feel that time has come and gone.