Could a supernatural DC animated series work?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Why can't they make a Wonder Woman series with new villains or villains from other comics?

I created a thread on that if you want to comment.

Frontier

Staff member
Personally, Wonder Woman has a very weak Rogues gallery. At least she has 3 villains. SHAZAM has enough for animated series, which obviously allows for serialized stories.
The problem with Wonder Woman's villains are they're hardly ever used or spotlighted, or they just get used as mooks in other heroes' stories.

I think it's pretty impressive that she has a 90% female villain Rogues Gallery. They just need to be used more :).

Otaku-sempai

The problem with Wonder Woman's villains are they're hardly ever used or spotlighted, or they just get used as mooks in other heroes' stories.

I think it's pretty impressive that she has a 90% female villain Rogues Gallery. They just need to be used more :).
Then there are the Wonder Woman foes who are strongly tied to World War II and the Nazis. Those would seriously need to be updated to be useful.

the greenman

Why can't they make a Wonder Woman series with new villains or villains from other comics?
Honestly, it always goes back to the writers of the comics. They simply churn out these comics often as a manufacturing job. No real lovers of the IP. This site has a list of villains:

Here is a rare look at a Sinister Six style hit squad for Wonder Woman from WAY back in the day.
da2591947cb7bbd6f93c75b15c77f25b.jpg

No reason they can't do one. Just need better writers. Plain and simple.
Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

the greenman

Hmm...I had a few issues with it, but otherwise I thought it was a decent try and I was happy to see Diana's Rogues in the spotlight :).
I normally don't seek out alot of these DC animated films, but I'm curious on this one.

Honestly, there are just a whole lot of superheroes who simply couldn't hold their own in an animated series. It not like live action back in the day with some bank robbers, evil scientists, or terrorists. That won't work for animated fare. Especially if aimed at youth.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

khuddle

I've always wondered how Cheetah could possibly go toe to toe with Wonder Woman.
She doesn't have super strength, she can't fly, and, despite her name, isn't endowed
with super speed. She has claws, and..what else...a sneering English accent?.
No seriously, this is one character that needs to be updated.

Otaku-sempai

I've always wondered how Cheetah could possibly go toe to toe with Wonder Woman.
She doesn't have super strength, she can't fly, and, despite her name, isn't endowed
Well, Cheetah was revamped when she was turned into an outright lycanthrope (were-cheetah). That addressed most of your issues, though Barbara Ann Minerva was a brand-new character, replacing Priscilla Rich. Priscilla (and her niece Deborah Domaine) was essentially Catwoman without Selina's style.

1602811656558.png
1602811686159.png

Last edited:

the_joker

Which is a little ironic in the case of Shazam! since Captain Marvel was once one of the most well-known comic-book heroes in existence.
Yeah, I even read that he was more popular than Superman in the 1940s, but I don't know how Captain Marvel's popularity faded away.

Otaku-sempai

Yeah, I even read that he was more popular than Superman in the 1940s, but I don't know how Captain Marvel's popularity faded away.
That is a long, sordid story that goes back to National's suit against Fawcett claiming that Captain Marvel was a rip-off of Superman (not entirely unfounded despite the profound differences between the two characters).

Frontier

Staff member
Post-Crisis Cheetah has super-strength and super-speed.

khuddle

Well, Cheetah was revamped when she was turned into an outright lycanthrope (were-cheetah). That addressed most of your issues, though Barbara Ann Minerva was a brand-new character, replacing Priscilla Rich. Priscilla (and her niece Deborah Domaine) was essentially Catwoman without Selina's style.

View attachment 283914 View attachment 283915

I see. This must have taken place in the comics. I'm not familiar with the comics, just DC Animation.

khuddle

Even in DC animation you must have seen Barbara Minerva's were-cheetah more than once by now between Justice League/JLU, the animated Wonder Woman movies, DC Super Hero Girls and other appearances.

I've seen Cheetah in two DC Animated features (Wonder Woman 2009, Justice League: Doom). But there was no evidence that she was a "were-cheetah". She remained in her cheetah form throughout both of those movies.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts