Coronavirus

Latest News & Videos

RandomMe

Bloo
Dec 30, 2012
Braga, Portugal
internalymbelydredd.tumblr.com
My concern is that once the lockdown is lifted, I'll drive somewhere to eat only to find a note on the door saying "We are permanently closed. We appreciate your business the last ten years." Yeah the big chains will probably be fine, but the regional exclusives might be another matter.
Same here. This is obviously going to trigger the largest economical crisis since the Great Depression, for us it's going to be a huge shame since the last time Portugal was in such a crisis was in the late 2000s/early 2010s (I believe we had completely left in 2015) and in a few parts of the country, including Braga, there was an increase in developments. Some local companies (in the sense of not being from either Lisbon or Braga) will probably go bust, many were in the past, regardless or not if there was any crisis.

Low Spark of Lyman

The only movie in the entire world.
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
A weird anecdote from earlier today: during a television segment where Rick Springfield performed a song about the crisis (called "No Human Touch", I think), there was one point where he sneezed (unscripted, I assume), followed by me sneezing. Luckily, I'm all right now. ;)

On more serious matters, I am concerned about how at least part of my country is dealing with this. I won't go into specifics for the sake of keeping things apolitical, just that there are some people still treating it as no big deal, even as we reach more milestones.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
May 14, 2002
New York
users.ign.com
I'm working from home, and about a half hour ago, I received word through my work e-mail that someone from my job passed away from the damn COVID-19 virus. He and I never really talked, but he is someone who I know, and it'll be strange not seeing him at work anymore once things to get back to normal (whenever the hell that will be), and knowing the reason for it just bites. He was 35, and leaves behind a wife who he married about a couple of yeas ago.

I've had more than enough of this crap, and I just seriously can't wait for it to end.

Just...all of you continue to say safe. Seriously.

(I originally posted this on my Facebook page, and I had to clean it up so I could post it here.)

Reactions: Low Spark of Lyman

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO

So if anyone asks "Why did we not close down the country in 2009/2010 for H1N1, when 12,000 people died, yet we closed it down now?!?" Well, here's the answer. 5 weeks worth of deaths vs. 1 year's worth of deaths.

Latest figures for the USA:

423,135 cases of coronavirus, with 14,390 deaths. That's a 3.4% death rate, which just feels waaaay too high. Weren't we told back in late February this was between a 2 to 3% death rate? (not that this is accurate measurements, I understand that).

I'm going to keep reminding myself there are many promising signs that the worse may be behind us (if we "stay the course" on social distancing, for a while longer).

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
May 14, 2002
New York
users.ign.com

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Canada
So if anyone asks "Why did we not close down the country in 2009/2010 for H1N1, when 12,000 people died, yet we closed it down now?!?" Well, here's the answer. 5 weeks worth of deaths vs. 1 year's worth of deaths.

Latest figures for the USA:

423,135 cases of coronavirus, with 14,390 deaths. That's a 3.4% death rate, which just feels waaaay too high. Weren't we told back in late February this was between a 2 to 3% death rate? (not that this is accurate measurements, I understand that).

I'm going to keep reminding myself there are many promising signs that the worse may be behind us (if we "stay the course" on social distancing, for a while longer).
The worst may be over, but we need to keep in mind that we’re nowhere near the end. The reality is that we’re not going back to normal until we have a cure or vaccine. The government in my province admitted the other day that this could last up to two years, and reiterated the importance of social distancing. We’re in the middle of a battle, but the war is not over.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
The worst is not over. It is going to be a brutal two weeks in America. Buckle up.

I am exhausted. Got a month's worth of food and supplies today and I'm staying inside for the next two weeks. They didn't have any spray disinfectant, so I got the gel cleanser and mixed it with water. These times take a little creativity.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
The worst may be over, but we need to keep in mind that we’re nowhere near the end. The reality is that we’re not going back to normal until we have a cure or vaccine. The government in my province admitted the other day that this could last up to two years, and reiterated the importance of social distancing. We’re in the middle of a battle, but the war is not over.

I do not believe that. I do not believe we're going to spend the next 2 years living like this.

Having said that, my comments that "the worst may be over" were a bit premature. The next 2 weeks will be harsh. I was just commenting that there were signs of progress. We'll see where things stand at the end of this month. And then at the end of May. And onward.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I do not believe that. I do not believe we're going to spend the next 2 years living like this.
Off and on, we are. It'll get slightly better, standards will be relaxed and it will get this bad again. It will come and go in waves for the next two years.

Speaking of mistakes, don't put gel in your spray bottles people, even to dilute it. Ruined my Lysol bottle. I'll have to make do with Windex for the time being although I can still use the gel for scrubbing.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Canada

Having said that, my comments that "the worst may be over" were a bit premature. The next 2 weeks will be harsh. I was just commenting that there were signs of progress. We'll see where things stand at the end of this month. And then at the end of May. And onward.
I was going to respond, but honestly Fone Bone did it very well. We may not be locked down like this every day for two years, and I never said we would be. But will things be normal in that we don’t think twice of shaking hands, going out in public, going to the movie theatre, eating at a restaurant or taking public transit? Without a vaccine, it doesn’t seem like that. That’s the opinion I’ve seen given by medical experts around the world, including (but not limited to) Dr. Fauci. It was a view expressed by the Prime Minister of my country today. If you truly don’t think we’re going to be like this for so long then that is fine, but where is the proof of that statement?

The hope would be that we are able to open things up a little bit maybe by the summer, but there’s no guarantees of that. And yes yes, people will say that a vaccine is coming in no time and that they’ll hurry it up. The reality is that they are hurrying up. The consensus is that we may have a vaccine in a year to two years. That’s breakneck speed for this kind of thing. Vaccines can sometimes take ten years to create, so experts are already moving as fast as they can. It’s not good news, but remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. We’re just going to have to get used to this until someone who knows better tells us otherwise.

Wounded_Dragon

Sep 10, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
A lot of things are going to change in people's lives I think. I'm strongly considering getting a medical alert bracelet now. I don't normally run into anything I'm deathly allergic to; however, the "cure" that President Trump keeps touting as magic comes in two parts. One is the anti-malarial drug he keeps mentioning. The other part is an antibiotic. I haven't taken that specific antibiotic, but it's related to another one I am allergic to. If I get deathly ill from covid19 and get that "cure" stuffed down my throat by a well-meaning medical professional, I will probably die.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
After a while, most people will have already been infected and recovered/died. From that moment on, the lockdown will be lifted. The negative economic impacts will then outweigh the medical impact. The problem right now is that we don't want to oversaturate the healthcare system, like what happened in Italy.