Coronavirus

Latest News & Videos

Low Spark of Lyman

The only movie in the entire world.
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com

As a jazz fan, I'd like to note those players who have been killed by the disease up to now:

Pianist Ellis Marsalis Jr., father of Branford and Wynton
Guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli, who was part of the music staff for NBC and ABC
Trumpeter Wallace Roney, the only such performer personally mentored by Miles Davis
Pianist Mike Longo, sideman of Dizzy Gillespie

I might as well also bring up Joe Diffie (singer/writer of songs such as "Home", "Third Rock from the Sun" and "Pickup Man"), Alan Merrill (who wrote "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" for his band the Arrows before it was covered by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts) and Adam Schlesinger (of Fountains of Wayne and Ivy).

Last edited:

TheJLeeTeam

Keldeo is best Pony
Sep 9, 2018
USA
Chances are I might see virtually no new movies this year. In part because there weren’t many I was interested in but now most of them are digitally released or delayed several of them to next year. Also I can’t go to movie theaters because we‘re in lockdown for God knows how long. I could buy digital releases of the movies but I’m saving my budget for HBO Max.

RandomMe

Bloo
Dec 30, 2012
Braga, Portugal
internalymbelydredd.tumblr.com
A case was reported in the Falkland Islands, saying that one person had symptoms related to the coronavirus.

Keeping in with the British overseas territories, Tristan da Cunha, the world's most isolated island according to popular belief, part of a group of islands led by Saint Helena, took steps on March 9 to ban new foreign visitors in order to prevent the spread of the virus there.

And even coronavirus concerns had led to yet another delay in Gough, in the same island:

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Just...posting the latest stats for the USA:

278,942 confirmed cases, with 7,174 deaths. That's a "death rate" of 2.5% (which, again, is not entirely accurate when you consider the potential number of untested cases, but on the other hand, it just keeps rising...).

In other news, Wal-Mart is limiting the number of people that can go into the store at a time, starting today.

Which, frankly, should've been enforced sooner. These "essential businesses" that have been allowed to stay open are being overrun and it just can't be good for "social distancing" practices.

I was in a local Wal-mart on Thursday, and it was just....too crowded. I mean, I got in and got out as quick as I could, but....it was unsettling to see how many people were in the store.

Last edited:
Reactions: RainbowCupcake

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Curious. Is anyone else feeling massive stress right now? Like right this second? If so, please share so that I don't feel alone and crazy. The general feeling I get from most people at home is boredom, but my nerves are actually quite frayed. Is this true for anybody else?

TheJLeeTeam

Keldeo is best Pony
Sep 9, 2018
USA
Curious. Is anyone else feeling massive stress right now? Like right this second? If so, please share so that I don't feel alone and crazy. The general feeling I get from most people at home is boredom, but my nerves are actually quite frayed. Is this true for anybody else?
Sort of I can’t tell if I got the virus but I sometimes got nervous faint aches in small parts of my body but I got that a lot before this pandemic as well. I have gotten some very mild cold symptoms like runny nose but not as bad as I usually get, and sometimes when I breathe, My throat feels dry but that may be me not drinking enough water. I might just have the whole virus in my head. The sickest I’ve ever been was early 2011 when I got bronchitis and I couldn’t stop coughing. Around every February for years I would get a cold that was worse than I’m feeling now.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Sort of I can’t tell if I got the virus but I sometimes got nervous faint aches in small parts of my body but I got that a lot before this pandemic as well. I have gotten some very mild cold symptoms like runny nose but not as bad as I usually get, and sometimes when I breathe, My throat feels dry but that may be me not drinking enough water. I might just have the whole virus in my head. The sickest I’ve ever been was early 2011 when I got bronchitis and I couldn’t stop coughing. Around every February for years I would get a cold that was worse than I’m feeling now.
I'm not worried I'm going to get sick. I'm worried I'm going to go insane. America has dealt with this problem in the worst possible way. I can barely sleep I'm so worried.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Maybe this information GIF will calm you down :)

Luckily it's an enveloped virus. Soap doesn't kill nonenveloped viruses, whose proteins protect the DNA/RNA.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Maybe this information GIF will calm you down :)

Luckily it's an enveloped virus. Soap doesn't kill nonenveloped viruses, whose proteins protect the DNA/RNA.
Thanks, man. But it's not really my response to the virus that worries me. It's everyone else's in my country that is freaking me the eff out. I can't even describe what it's like but I feel like I'm living in a zombie horror movie.

Radiant97

We hope that you choke.
Feb 3, 2018
The Darkest Timeline
At this second? No, but I did feel it in the first week of quarantine at my parents' house because I was worried that I may have been an asymptomatic carrier and ended up infecting everyone in it. I couldn't sleep at all and the slightest rise in my body temperature was enough to give me anxiety. Thankfully, it's been over three weeks since and I've shown no symptoms. They still have to go to work in Jakarta a.k.a. the coronavirus epicenter though, which makes me a bit uneasy at times, especially given that my dad is diabetic, but now I can only hope for the best. I can't let stress get to me or else I'll get no work done. I hope this stupid virus goes away soon and I really, really hope people start taking this more seriously.

Reactions: Fone Bone

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Yesterday, Gov. Cuomo reported that New York state had a decrease in the number of deaths for the first time in days.

Also, this morning Italy is reporting a drop in the death rate for the first time in weeks. France as well.

Having said all of that, we can expect the deaths to reach 10,000 in the USA today.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
As someone who is pretty introverted, staying home hasn't been as bad for me as it's been for many other people. Sometimes I get the urge to go for a quick jog, but mostly, I just open a window if I want some fresh air.
I’m introverted too, but I miss mall walking, going to the movies, eating out, and my job. I’m not missing large family get togethers.

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
I'd actually see that as encouraging sign. Asian cultures wear face masks in public all the time (or at least, when there's sickness going around), and I hope it's a cultural habit more Americans adapt.
Well it's more because whenever I see someone in a mask right now, I immediately assume they have the virus. I know that's making assumptions- they might be doing it as a preventative measure- but I can't help it.

EDIT:
Dr.Pepper said:
I’m introverted too, but I miss mall walking, going to the movies, eating out, and my job. I’m not missing large family get togethers.
Same- I'm mostly an indoors person anyway but I do miss going out to eat (although thanks to not doing it twice a week, I've lost a little weight, so it's a blessing in disguise). My concern is that once the lockdown is lifted, I'll drive somewhere to eat only to find a note on the door saying "We are permanently closed. We appreciate your business the last ten years." Yeah the big chains will probably be fine, but the regional exclusives might be another matter.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
We passed the 10,000 deaths milestone a short while ago, here in the USA.

It's officially 347,003 cases, with 10,335 deaths. That's a "death rate" of 2.9%.

On the other hand, we have 18,953 cases of people that have recovered from the coronavirus. I'm trying to find on the map where all of the "recovered" cases are at, and I'm not finding them. I'm not sure how they're tracking the recovered.

New York officials say there is potential "flattening of the curve" in New York statistics (which seems to suggest the social distancing is maybe starting to take effect).

Reactions: Low Spark of Lyman