Coronavirus

Latest News & Videos

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
It's Wednesday night and there are now 68960 cases of the coronavirus, and 1041 deaths in the USA (yes, we've reach the 1,000 deaths milestone).

I've been tracking the death percentage the last few days, and it's consistently hovering around 1.4 or 1.5%. So it's not 2 to 3 % like some feared (myself included) around a month ago. Others would point out "if you factor in the cases with low or no symptoms who don't get tested, it's closer to 1%", but even if that's really the case....1% is much higher than .01% (that's how many the yearly normal flu virus kills).

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Here in the USA, we're basically right at 86,000 with 1,300 deaths. Which is still 1.5%.

Things to consider: Yes, we have the most number of infected, but when you compare the ratio of infected vs. the population of, say, Italy or Spain....parts of Europe may be doing worse.

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
Given how the U.S. is really dropping the ball when it comes to dealing with COVID-19, I am more thankful than ever to be living in Canada at the moment, especially with the "caremongering" movement going on here right now. I hope everyone here is able to stay healthy and safe during this crisis. Please do what you can to help your neighbors and friends but please also practice social distancing and health protocols. Your communities need help more than ever. It's a hard time so while it's important to make sure you're safe please do so for those around you. Make phone calls, send texts or messages, reach out to the elderly and disabled in your neighbor, run errands for those who cannot, do what you can. It's easy to be afraid right now, but remember that you're not the only one afraid. Don't be selfish, don't only look out for yourself. Think about all your loved ones too.

RandomMe

Bloo
Dec 30, 2012
Braga, Portugal
internalymbelydredd.tumblr.com
The Pope is finishing a special hour-long prayer against the virus. Here in Portugal, RTP 1 is airing it.

Meanwhile, Portuguese statistics say that the height of the virus will be in May. I don't believe in these predictions because it's impossible to predict what will happen next.

Bigawesome2000

The master of cartoons (maybe)
Jun 13, 2019
The middle of nowhere
There are now 585,000 cases of the Coronavirus in the world (97,000 in the US). Italy is the second most infected country with 86,000 cases. China is in third with 81,000 cases.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
I'm going to share some stories of what we're dealing with. My county/town has a 30 day "Stay at home" order in effect. This is the suburbs, Southwest Missouri. Consider this "Tales of Shelter in Place-ville":

The elderly neighbors that I mentioned in a previous post called and asked my wife to pick up some groceries that they ordered online and to deliver it to them. They can't get out in these circumstances and so my wife did, dropping the grocery bags off outside their garage door for them to retrieve. The store didn't have all of the groceries available that the elderly couple had ordered, so we the next day gave them some soup from our house. They in turn surprised us with some cookies (these exchanges were happening as cleanly as possible).

Yesterday, we were working in our garden in the front yard, when we heard a cry for help. Just a few houses down, we walked down and saw there was a woman who had tipped her motorcycle over onto herself, crushing her leg/foot. We had no choice but to break the "six foot distance" rule (well, I mean we could've called an ambulance, but it didn't seem that severe and we made a judgement call). We helped lift the motorcycle off of her and stepped back and she got up. We asked if she needed any more help, she said no, she was late for work but thinks she may have broken her foot, so she took her motorcycle back into her garage. We went home and washed our arms and hands thoroughly.

Finally, I was just harassed by a person for walking my dog this evening. Like I always do. Harassed over the coronavirus. I mean, the rule is "keep a six foot distance", not "you must stay in your own yard".

I mean, this same evening, I saw someone else walking their dog up and down the street, I saw a couple of high school age kids riding their bikes past me as I walked my dog (six feet of distance, and they were whizzing by me fast at any rate).

But my dog stopped and sniffed and peed in someone's yard next to the street. There was a person across the street in their garage and he started watching me. I walked a couple more houses away and my dog wanted to stop and sniff and pee in a spot again. The guy yelled out "What are you doing man?" I said "walking my dog, like normal".

He said I shouldn't be letting my dog pee in the street or in other people's yards, that I could be spreading the coronavirus. I said "The rule is six feet distance, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't spread by dog pee in a yard. I stepped closer so I could hear him better and he didn't like that (though there were 2 house lengths distance between us). There were a few more back and forth comments (I don't think it escalated, well, not too much at any rate), but it ended with me apologizing for causing him concern (though I maintain I did nothing wrong). He said "I'm just scared, man" and he went back into his garage (and I walked home).

Some days it feels like we're all getting closer as neighbors. Some days it feels like we're getting further apart.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
I get being scared, but that one neighbor definitely overreacted, IMO.

I'm glad that you at least have some positive experiences with your neighbors. It's always heartwarming to hear about how some communities can grow close like that.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Jul 29, 2017
The mayor gave us until at least May to stay home.

I got an emergency text today telling all LA county residents to stay home until April 19th, which is how long the "stay-at-home" order for said county will last until.

Last edited:
Here in the USA, we're basically right at 86,000 with 1,300 deaths. Which is still 1.5%.

Things to consider: Yes, we have the most number of infected, but when you compare the ratio of infected vs. the population of, say, Italy or Spain....parts of Europe may be doing worse.
There's a lot of things to consider here, population density is one of them which is a factor that causes the virus to spread, the United States is a large country with relatively low population density. Also different countries are counting cases and even deaths in different ways so a lot of data is excluded, I wouldn't completely trust it.

Germany is one big anomaly and compared to other countries it looks like a big lie, they've been reporting some deaths as the underlying condition and not the virus itself and Germany doesn't conduct post-mortem testing.

For example in the UK, cases are only counted if they're severe, also Hospitals are not in full pandemic mode yet as they're tying to keep other people with other conditions alive, which is something the death rate doesn't consider. In other words, the people who died as a consequence of the situation caused by the pandemic but did not have the virus and could not be helped with the health system operating at full capacity.

Plus there the economic damage which will cost people's livelihoods, which cannot not be avoided with lockdowns.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

back when the Harvey Weinstein allegations happened i remember saying "well i'm not surprised he's known for being a jerk to certain movies particularly in his treatment in animated movies he acquired and is known for re-cutting live action flims behind director's backs."
They are still airing New Episodes of Max and Ruby???
Most NBCU networks will air movies with limited ads.
Happy 51st Birthday to MCU Ant-Man's Paul Rudd
Happy 24th Birthday to Bunk'd star Miranda May
Happy 22nd Birthday to Bunk'd and Jessie's Peyton R. List