Coronavirus

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Please, please, PLEASE keep politics out of this. This situation is so dire that more information needs to be shared as widely as possible. This thread cannot be either deleted or closed for that reason.

Does anybody have a link to a website to help people know how to prevent the spread of this virus (how to handwash or stock up on the right foods etc...)? I have seen some good advice but it's all from political websites so I can't share it. If anyone has a non-partisan source about how to either prevent spreading or catching this disease, or even how to weather it if you catch it, please post it now.

TheCartoonRailfan

Riding the Rails
Aug 12, 2019
Florida
Please, please, PLEASE keep politics out of this. This situation is so dire that more information needs to be shared as widely as possible. This thread cannot be either deleted or closed for that reason.

Does anybody have a link to a website to help people know how to prevent the spread of this virus (how to handwash or stock up on the right foods etc...)? I have seen some good advice but it's all from political websites so I can't share it. If anyone has a non-partisan source about how to either prevent spreading or catching this disease, or even how to weather it if you catch it, please post it now.
Coronavirus info from World Health Organization

Reactions: Fone Bone

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Thank you.

Here are the quotes for the relevant parts:

Basic protective measures against the new coronavirus
Stay aware of the latest information on the COVID-19 outbreak, available on the WHO website and through your national and local public health authority. COVID-19 is still affecting mostly people in China with some outbreaks in other countries. Most people who become infected experience mild illness and recover, but it can be more severe for others. Take care of your health and protect others by doing the following:

Wash your hands frequently
Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
Why? Washing your hands with soap and water or using alcohol-based hand rub kills viruses that may be on your hands.
Maintain social distancing
Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
Why? When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person coughing has the disease.

Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
Why? Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick.
Practice respiratory hygiene
Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
Why? Droplets spread virus. By following good respiratory hygiene you protect the people around you from viruses such as cold, flu and COVID-19.
If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early
Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call in advance. Follow the directions of your local health authority.
Why? National and local authorities will have the most up to date information on the situation in your area. Calling in advance will allow your health care provider to quickly direct you to the right health facility. This will also protect you and help prevent spread of viruses and other infections.

Stay informed and follow advice given by your healthcare provider
Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19. Follow advice given by your healthcare provider, your national and local public health authority or your employer on how to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.
Why? National and local authorities will have the most up to date information on whether COVID-19 is spreading in your area. They are best placed to advise on what people in your area should be doing to protect themselves.

Protection measures for persons who are in or have recently visited (past 14 days) areas where COVID-19 is spreading
  • Follow the guidance outlined above.
  • Stay at home if you begin to feel unwell, even with mild symptoms such as headache and slight runny nose, until you recover. Why? Avoiding contact with others and visits to medical facilities will allow these facilities to operate more effectively and help protect you and others from possible COVID-19 and other viruses.
  • If you develop fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical advice promptly as this may be due to a respiratory infection or other serious condition. Call in advance and tell your provider of any recent travel or contact with travelers. Why? Calling in advance will allow your health care provider to quickly direct you to the right health facility. This will also help to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 and other viruses.

Reactions: 5YearsOnEastCoast

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Thank you, Fone Bone, I was thinking it was about time for a thread on this as well.

It's become a dire enough issue, I think it's appropriate to discuss it here (and yes, we should leave politics out of it).

Yesterday, the first case of Corona virus of "unknown origin" was revealed in California. Which would lead me to believe we're at the start of a outbreak in California similar to what's going on in Northern Italy right now. But I hope I'm wrong.

Also, Japan is closing all schools for the month of March, an unprecedented step in combating the spread of the virus.

There's also concern this could affect the Summer Olympics, which were to be held in Japan this year. It could even be cancelled (which would just be devastating).

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Canada
Yes, while it's certainly a good thing that this thread has been created, let me remind everyone that political discussion is not allowed on the Cafe. Feel free to discuss the coronavirus, but just remember that it's possible to do that without getting political.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
I'm going to share what may be the latest stats. As I share this, I think the thing to keep in mind up front is that of the people exposed to this virus, only around 2% have died from it (usually the elderly or the very young, or those already with a pre-existing sickness). The danger is that there is no vaccine for this new strain of the Corona Virus.

Anyway, here's some stats:

The novel coronavirus has spread throughout the world since the first cases were detected in central China in December. More than 2,800 people have died globally and over 82,000 have been infected, and the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.
China's National Health Commission has confirmed the virus, which causes a disease known as Covid-19, can be transmitted from person to person through "droplet transmission" -- where a virus is passed on due to an infected person sneezing or coughing -- as well as by direct contact.

There are more than 3,500 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus in over 45 countries and territories outside mainland China. Close to 700 of those cases are linked to the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Yokohama, Japan.

At least 60 people have died outside of mainland China from the virus.
And from the update page on CNN:

For the first time on Wednesday, the number of daily cases of the coronavirus reported outside China exceeded the number of those reported within the country where the outbreak began, according to the World Health Organization.

With countries including Denmark and Estonia reporting first confirmed cases today, the virus has now reached nearly 50 countries and territories outside mainland China, with more than 3,500 infections recorded and at least 58 deaths.

Also, some quick stats on the U.S.A.:

United States (at least 60 cases)
There are now 15 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus related to travel or close contact to travelers in the United States, according to US Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar.
Below is a breakdown of the US cases:
15 travel related or close contact
• Eight in California
• One in Massachusetts
• One in Washington state
• One in Arizona
• Two in Illinois
• One in Wisconsin
• One location unknown
42 Diamond Princess
• 16 are being cared for in the area surrounding Travis Air Force Base in California.
• Four passengers are receiving treatment in the Spokane, WA area.
• Eight passengers are currently being treated in the Lackland Air Force Base area in Texas.
• 13 passengers are being treated at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
• One passenger was on the Diamond Princess and aboard the State Department-chartered flight from Japan had tested positive in Japan and recovered there.
3 Wuhan evacuees
• Locations unknown

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
That CNN article is overly dramatic. If you haven't been to China or some other infected area, you won't get the Wuhan coronavirus. I don't find panic very helpful. It would be better to do medical checks at airports, but I don't know how feasible that is.

Reactions: 5YearsOnEastCoast

RandomMe

Bloo
Dec 30, 2012
Braga, Portugal
internalymbelydredd.tumblr.com
A few quick facts about the situation:
  • So far, it has reached 50 countries and territories, as well as four cruises
  • Japan claims to be the third most-infected country, if you count on the Diamond Princess. However, since the Diamond Princess is technically on international conveyance, if we only take into account the countries, it's currently behind Iran
  • Kuwait has surpassed Bahrain in the Arab World; the primary cause comes from Iran
  • South Korea has close to 2000 cases, witnessing a meteoric rise
  • One of the patients from the Diamond Princess is Portuguese
  • Here in Portugal, about 17 suspected cases of people with the coronavirus turned out to be negative, so it's safe to say that Portugal is immune (for now)
  • Recently the amount of infections in Italy, Iran and South Korea combined has surpassed said amount in China in one day
For news about the virus, I often watch Rai News 24 and NHK World on a daily basis. It's getting really alarming.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Action!

Jan 23, 2016
New cases in Germany bringing up to 40 cases in Germany.
UPDATE:

Last edited:

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
I read a statistic recently that was somewhat alarming - there were some articles that referenced that this Coronavirus could be up to "20% more deadly than the flu".

This article gives a good explanation:

"The case fatality rate for influenza is less than one percent," said Dr. Tseng. "But for COVID-19 it's two to three percent. Yes, it is more deadly than the regular flu."

But, he said you also have to take into consideration it's far less deadly than Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) or Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), two other coronaviruses. SARS fatality rate is 10% to 11%. MERS is 35%.

So, which spreads faster? The flu or COVID-19?

"At this point, we don't know," said Dr. Tseng. "We know COVID-19 is more infectious than SARS or MERS, however, we don't have the exact number yet because it's still undergoing analysis."
I read elsewhere that for the 2017/2018 flu season, roughly 45 million people caught the regular flu, and that 61,000 people died from it (which is terrible, but apparently pretty average). Well, that's a little under 1%, which matches what that doctor was saying in that article.

So.....it's potentially more contagious than the regular flu, it's slightly deadlier than the regular flu, but it's not as bad as the "SARS" or "MERS" bugs that we have heard of in years past. Most people that get it should recover, but it's still something we need to work on preventing it from becoming as widespread as the regular flu, especially when there's no vaccine developed for this yet.

Last edited:

RandomMe

Bloo
Dec 30, 2012
Braga, Portugal
internalymbelydredd.tumblr.com
The first confirmed cases have arrived to countries like New Zealand, Azerbaijan and Monaco. Now the total is of 60 countries and territories.

Portugal might be among the next.

Hokkaido is the hardest-hit prefecture in Japan, with at least 60 infections, some of them made by clusters. They can form other clusters which might make contagion increase.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
A 2nd case of the Coronavirus of "unknown origin" has been found in California.

This is in a different county than the last one reported a couple days ago. Someone out there is spreading a disease, unaware they have the Coronavirus. Expect to see more cases in California in the coming days.

Aug 20, 2017
A 2nd case of the Coronavirus of "unknown origin" has been found in California.

This is in a different county than the last one reported a couple days ago. Someone out there is spreading a disease, unaware they have the Coronavirus. Expect to see more cases in California in the coming days.
<citing CNN
I have a distrust of corporate newsmedia, but that's beside the issue.
Picture this for a moment... You know something, then the news anchor comes on and gets the story completely wrong or omits vital info. What do you not know that they report on incorrectly, much less at all?

>Someone out there
It could be either a Shincheonji believer (they have been traveling around spreading that virus, but not wearing protective gear as mandated by Korean authorities) or one of those Californian cruisegoers that came back.

The corporate media seems to want the world's economy to collapse, as demonstrated by talking heads going "but what about the economic effect? (shows stock ticker)".
Corporate newsmedia are almost entirely in lock-step with the intelligence community that the U.S. president is out to dismantle and they'd like nothing more than for our current president to not have a 2nd term.
However, the president's motive is to educate the public about the Federal Reserve working against the public's interests and move manufacturing out of China which the Coronavirus tanking the economy is playing into.
Don't believe me? Either look at the past and see how many times a "Decision" year has had a virus or wait for this virus scare to vanish, just as Zika and Ebola last did after the funding for the vaccines cleared.
In 2004, we had SARS.
2008 gave us the "Bird flu"
Then 2010 had "Swine fever"
2012 was down with MERS or "Camel Flu"
2014 had Ebola
in 2016, there was Zika
2018 had an attempted re-surgence of the Ebola scare that went nowhere
Now, in 2020 we have the Coronavirus doing a number on the old and the intelligence community is gleeful that the economy might crash at any moment... Watch as it just zips back up and nothing happens...

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
The coronavirus is an economic disaster for certain parts of China, Japan, Italy etc. Especially in the tourist sector.

Just because something like that hasn't happened in the USA, doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

back when the Harvey Weinstein allegations happened i remember saying "well i'm not surprised he's known for being a jerk to certain movies particularly in his treatment in animated movies he acquired and is known for re-cutting live action flims behind director's backs."
They are still airing New Episodes of Max and Ruby???
Most NBCU networks will air movies with limited ads.
Happy 51st Birthday to MCU Ant-Man's Paul Rudd
Happy 24th Birthday to Bunk'd star Miranda May
Happy 22nd Birthday to Bunk'd and Jessie's Peyton R. List