"Constantine" Animated Series News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I imagine there's probably a lot more they can get away with on the CWSeed then they were on cable...maybe they'll even more directly show John's bisexuality ;)?
Perhaps, from the trailer, we at least know the violence level is more brutal. More blood and guts, bodies torn apart, decapitating, etc.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Vixen: The Movie has 15 extra minutes. Bourassa guessed 70 minutes for The Ray -- the first 6 episodes were about 29:40 total so we guess that for the back half -- around 10 minutes of extra footage. If DeMatteis is correct, Constantine will have the most extra footage of the 3 titles.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's not much, but in this interview with Rick Haskins (CW’s Executive Vice President, Marketing and Digital Programs), he mentions the show will probably launch in the second or third quarter of 2018. It's in the 6th paragraph.
[...]"And then sticking with the DC comics, we’re going to be launching Constantine animated series probably in second or third quarter,” Haskins said.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
I'm not the biggest Vixen fan, because frankly that series was wasted potential.
That said, all this looks very promising and where that potential went.

Maybe I'm being a too optimistic and unrealistic, but this has potential to be the Batman TAS of the current age.

....Though being an "app exclusive" is worrisome

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
According to Deadline, the series will have its world premiere at WonderCon, on March 24th. Apparently the first season will stream on the same day on CW Seed:
10:00–11:00 a.m, Room North 200A Constantine World Premiere Screening — This will be the world premiere screening of the first episodes of the animated Constantine series for CW Seed. The series follows John Constantine (Matt Ryan), a seasoned demon hunter and master of the occult. Notable DC EPs on this including Dark Night Trilogy‘s David S. Goyer, DC TV series maestro Greg Berlanti and Riverdale‘s Sarah Schechter. Ryan will be on hand with series writer J.M. DeMatteis and Blue Ribbon Content & Warner Bros. Animation’s Peter Girardi for a Q&A session after the screening. Season 1 streams on March 24 on CWseed.com.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
3/1: Blue Ribbon Content will be at SXSW (March 9-18) highlighting Constantine. There will be "behind-the-scenes looks at how the new animated digital series Constantine from Blue Ribbon Content and Warner Bros. Animation goes from script to screen."

3/2: Noticed on IMDb, they say the series is 10 episodes and the first one is titled "Final Girl" with logline:
Continuing the events of the 2014-2015 series, John Constantine chases a murderous corpse and runs into an old acquaintance with hidden motives.
Not sure if it's valid but food for thought as we wait 3 more weeks.

Frontier

Staff member
3/2: Noticed on IMDb, they say the series is 10 episodes and the first one is titled "Final Girl" with logline:
Not sure if it's valid but food for thought as we wait 3 more weeks.
I wonder what "Final Girl" is referring to (or is it just a nod to the horror genre?) and if the "old acquaintance" is one from the live-action show o_O?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder what "Final Girl" is referring to (or is it just a nod to the horror genre?) and if the "old acquaintance" is one from the live-action show o_O?
3/3: Perhaps it does reference the trope! I figured it could be the name of one of his old band's songs. Or it's a double reference.

3/15: J.M. DeMatteis referred to the series as "Constantine: City of Demons" and when asked if it's a continuation, he states it's a new story that builds on plots from All His Engines then branches out.

Frontier

Staff member
3/15: J.M. DeMatteis referred to the series as "Constantine: City of Demons" and when asked if it's a continuation, he states it's a new story that builds on plots from All His Engines then branches out.
Kind of surprised this will be building more from a random graphic novel then it will the actual TV show this is acting as a successor too :sweat:.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Kind of surprised this will be building more from a random graphic novel then it will the actual TV show this is acting as a successor too :sweat:.
It's a bad idea is what it is. I don't care about about comics. I liked the TV show. The producers are ignoring the entire selling point of bringing this version of the character back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts