"Constantine" Animated Series News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Latest News

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,942 6
A Valid Location
Constantine is getting an animated series on the CW Seed. Premieres on March 24.

Constantine is coming back.

The DC Comics drama, which was most recently adapted for TV by NBC, will return as an animated series on The CW Seed, it was announced Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

Matt Ryan, who starred in the short-lived NBC drama, will voice the lead character.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/constantine-animated-series-at-cw-seed-961873

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,434 46
Sherman Oaks CA
Wow, I didn't see that coming :eek:.

But with all the people clamoring for Constantine to come back, using the CWseed to revive the series as a cartoon rather then going through the process of re-starting the show or making him a regular on one of the other Arrowverse shows seems fairly practical. Either way, anyone's Constantine's fix will be fulfilled ;).

And that now makes three Arrowverse animated series, along with Vixen and The Ray :cool:.

I wonder if Bourassa will just re-use the Justice League Dark design or just take it and make it look even more like Matt Ryan :p?

Mostezli

Corroborating with EVIL
May 28, 2014
Ratings
648 1
Lol, we get it DC! Justice League Dark is on the horizon.
That's now quite the level of cross-promotion: live-action show, live-action cameo in a more popular series, plenty of appearances on another animated show, an animated flick, and now an animated web series.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,942 6
A Valid Location
IGN has a few more details:
The CW announced it will be bringing back Constantine as an animated series on The CW Seed. Matt Ryan, who starred as the title character on the recent NBC series, will return to voice John Constantine, and Greg Berlanti will produce it.
Berlanti and David Goyer have just started working on the Constantine series in the past few weeks. [Mark] Pedowitz said there haven't been discussions of which live action supporting characters may or may not be back for the new show, or how this version of Constantine will connect back to the live action storylines he's been a part of.
This is just the latest animated DC series coming to CW Seed. Vixen recently wrapped its second season, and The CW also is making an animated series called Freedom Fighters: The Ray. Of whether Vixen will get a third season, Pedowitz said, "We haven't had that discussion, but based on the success of this season I have no reason why not to."
EDIT: Well, this is a pretty surprising announcement. I must have mentioned before I'm not a big fan of the character and never watched his live-action series, but I will check out the animated one. It's cool they brought back Matt Ryan to voice Constantine, fans of the character and actor should be pleased.

I wonder how it will all tie in with Vixen and Ray's animated series.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,434 46
Sherman Oaks CA
It's interesting to note that both Constantine and Vixen are "magic" shows, so there might be some kind of crossover there...

I expect Jeremy Davies will probably return as Ritchie Thompson given he was a major supporting character on the show and also reprised the role for the Justice League Dark movie :).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,380 4
177A Bleecker Street
If it's anything as good as the live-action series, I'm all in. I'm glad that the animation seems to be doing well for them (or maybe Constantine was doing well on CW Seed). I imagine it's going well for them to green light more animation. Maybe we could actually get to the point where we can get animation on the actual CW someday.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

TFormersMarvel

Nov 30, 2013
Ratings
I'm going to requote this paragraph for how fitting it is:
Looks like Matt Ryan's Constantine is even harder to kill than his comic self. Cancel his show? He goes to Arrow. Can't appear in Arrow anymore due copyrights? He gets cast in Justice League Dark. Justice League Dark still has a while to be shown? He gets an animated miniseries. --Gaon (TVTropes)

TheLemsterPju

Jan 17, 2015
Ratings
1,499 10
I heard about this earlier this morning. I'm slightly disappointed they're not doing it in live-action, but it's better than nothing. :)

Would it be too much to hope for a Lucifer crossover somewhere down the line?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,693 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I'm still playing catch up DC Live TV series and haven't gotten to Constantine yet so the announcement today doesn't really mean much to me. I've only seen the JLD clips and the Arrow S4 episode he was in. But from what I heard, it's pretty cool that he and Matt Ryan keep popping back up.

In terms of story, they do have options. Continue from the series finale, connect the show a bit more to how he ended up on Lian Yu, what happened after Lian Yu, what the Hell comment from Oliver entails, him owing Fortuna money, something completely new, etc.

I'm more vested in Vixen and am bummed they didn't outright renew it nor gave any new info on The Ray. Hopefully more this week.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,942 6
A Valid Location
It's not much, but I found this article on Broadway World that mentions the animated series will be a "reboot".
New shows are posted every month. And later this year we're premiering two more exciting CWSEED originals: David S. Goyer's animated "Constantine" reboot and Greg Berlanti's "Freedom Fighters: The Ray," which will introduce the first gay superhero as a lead character.