Comparing the Alvin Show to 80's Alvin the Chipmunks cartoon

Latest News & Videos

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
So who has seen both the Alvin Show and the 1980's Alvin and the Chipmunks, how do they hold up, and what separates the two. And no don't tell me Clyde Crashcup, strictly talking about the cartoons that had the Chipmunks in it.

Both shows came out in the perfect time in an important time period in music. The Alvin Show, the pre British Invasion of rock n roll. A few years after the "Day The Music Died", Alvin and the Chipmunks the early days of MTV.

They both very much different, so it is hard to say one is better than the other. I think that is the same, are the Chipmunks, I don't see much difference in the personalities of Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. Well mostly, in the 80's show, Theodore doesn't have his trademark laugh, which is a disappointment.

The two shows had different styles, the Alvin Show was strictly comedy for the most part, just trying to make you laugh. The closest it came to tugging on your heart strings is the Stanly the Eagle episodes, and even than it was trying to be funny.

Alvin and the Chipmunks was trying to do more than that, it was trying to teach lessons, and there were many times when they tugged at your heart strings, like the episode with the Chipmunks mother, or the Chippettes back story episode, etc.

And I don't know why, this is just my opinion, I think Dave were two totally different characters on the two shows. I prefer the Alvin Show Dave, he was funnier and had more of a personality, I don't know the Alvin and the Chipmunks Dave was just so generic.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Aug 3, 2002
Chiyo-chan's America
Both shows came out in the perfect time in an important time period in music. The Alvin Show, the pre British Invasion of rock n roll. A few years after the "Day The Music Died", Alvin and the Chipmunks the early days of MTV.
The music of the time definitely influenced the cartoons. The Alvin Show was made at a time when rock was still young, and there was some variety in terms of the acts that were hits at the time. As such, the song segments of each episode featured a mix of things, with some tunes being done in different styles.

Meanwhile, 1980's was the time of both MTV and a surge of stations that focused on oldies. During this time, animated media took advantage of this by the incorporation of popular songs either by having MTV style bits or by having songs play during certain scenes. In the case of Alvin and the Chipmunks, between the concept of the main characters being a trio of singing chipmunks and their 1980's comeback starting in the form of the album Urban Chipmunk, they managed to incorporate popular music (from the 1940's all the way to today) by having the Chipmunks (and the Chippettes, for songs performed by female singers) sing at least two songs per half-hour episode.

They both very much different, so it is hard to say one is better than the other. I think that is the same, are the Chipmunks, I don't see much difference in the personalities of Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. Well mostly, in the 80's show, Theodore doesn't have his trademark laugh, which is a disappointment.
I have to disagree about difference in personalities here.

Alvin: While the ego aspect was there, the Alvin in the original series more focused on his mischievous side, with most of his antics being based on that. The 1980's show, meanwhile, had Alvin be more ego-driven, with a number of episodes being driven around that.

Simon: Quite honestly, the original version was flat in terms of his character (compared to Alvin being the troublemaker and Theodore being the youngster). In the 1980's show, his character is fleshed out with him serving as a mixture of the brains, voice of reason, and straight man of the group.

Theodore: Both shows depict him as the child/sweetie of the group. However, the 1980's adds some more depth to him with his insecurities and adding some emphasis on how he's the foodie of the trio.

And I don't know why, this is just my opinion, I think Dave were two totally different characters on the two shows. I prefer the Alvin Show Dave, he was funnier and had more of a personality, I don't know the Alvin and the Chipmunks Dave was just so generic.
I can see how that is (and how the Alvin Show version is superior).

The original Dave (played by the real life Dave Seville aka Ross Bagdasarian Sr.) was pretty much a huge part of the Chipmunks group alongside the Chipmunks themselves, with him taking part in a number of songs, a lot of the humor in those segments coming from him dealing with whatever chaos Alvin is causing this time around (for instance, most of the fun in Alvin's Orchestra comes from him either getting angry over Alvin renting a 50-piece orchestra or, in the cartoon version, him constantly getting blasted by the horns section).

Meanwhile, the Chipmunks in the 1980's didn't feature Dave singing alongside them, and as such, his only real role here is serving as the father figure for the trio.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I haven't seen Alvin and the Chipmunks in a while but I saw A Chipmunk Christmas a few years ago and I couldn't help but notice what an unmitigated butt turd Dave Seville was. He accuses Alvin of stealing with no evidence whatsoever and Alvin can't defend himself so as not to spoil his Christmas surprise. And his whole tone was smug and condescending as if it's ALVIN who is ruining everybody's Christmas. Was Dave the same way on the 80's series or was this a one-off?

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Well before I made this thread I have recently been watching episodes of the Alvin Show and the 1983 Alvin and the Chipmunks back to back, meaning I watch one of episode of one show, than an episode of another, than back to the first show, etc.

Anyway I notice some of the supporting characters have some similarity. For example Sam Valient and "Uncle" Harry play a similar role as the resident con person. Mrs. Fumpington and Miss Miller are similar as well. And one can argue that Brittany is a combo of Fancy and Daisy from the Alvin Show. Having the vainess of Fancy and the love / hate relationship with Alvin that Daisy has. Obviously Brittany is a more important prominent character than those two girls but still point remains.

A.Magik

Sep 28, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I haven't seen Alvin and the Chipmunks in a while but I saw A Chipmunk Christmas a few years ago and I couldn't help but notice what an unmitigated butt turd Dave Seville was. He accuses Alvin of stealing with no evidence whatsoever and Alvin can't defend himself so as not to spoil his Christmas surprise. And his whole tone was smug and condescending as if it's ALVIN who is ruining everybody's Christmas. Was Dave the same way on the 80's series or was this a one-off?
Tell the truth, I didn't see why Alvin couldn't confess to Dave about the harmonica. That said, Dave in the 80's series is a better person (the show does emphasize how he loves the kids, even though they drive him nuts).

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Aug 3, 2002
Chiyo-chan's America
Tell the truth, I didn't see why Alvin couldn't confess to Dave about the harmonica.
This has more to do with Alvin being concerned about Dave's feelings, given how Dave not only gave him the harmonica a long time ago but also the fear that he ruined a Christmas Eve concert that the Chipmunks were having at Carnegie Hall.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
This has more to do with Alvin being concerned about Dave's feelings, given how Dave not only gave him the harmonica a long time ago but also the fear that he ruined a Christmas Eve concert that the Chipmunks were having at Carnegie Hall.
It's because Alvin was being noble and trying not to ruin the surprise for his thoroughly ungrateful father. If you want to call it a plot hole, yeah, Alvin should have ruined the surprise on general principle. But he didn't because he isn't the spoiled little brat Dave accuses him of being.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

This is the first year I watched Disney Channel frequently since 2006 mostly because of Big City Greens, Amphibia, Ducktales, and Miraculous.

The teaser is good. The comments saying "Release The Snyder Cut" are not.
Is the concept of good scheduling just dead at this point, I'm looking at PlutoTv and most of the time they just got the same show on repeat.