CNF Talkback: The Final 2 (out of 3) Episodes of PPG! [3/25/05]

Red

Hmm
fridays.gif
powerpuff.gif

The Powerpuff Girls: Nuthin' Special / Neighbor Hood then...I See A Funny Cartoon In Your Future / Octi-Gone
Friday, March 25th, 2005

[line]5[/line]​

It's Once Again Time For a CNF Talkback

A Duck, A Pig, A Martian on CNF Tonight! (All Times are EST)

Time: 7:15pm then 9:15pm

Reruns: First Episode at 11:15pm
[line]5[/line]​

Synopsis

7:15pm

Nuthin' Special

Buttercup feels left out when she realizes that she doesen't have any special powers like her sisters.

Neighbor Hood

When a T.V. show convinces kids to send in money to enter a special contest Bubbles and the rest of the kids in the neighbor hood raise money to enter it.

[line]5[/line]
9:15pm
I See A Funny Cartoon in your Future

A Medium named Madame Argentina, and her side-kick, Fred the duck (he really is a duck ) attempt to steal money from Townsville's citizens by offering to contact a dead relative for them, and stealing the money from the unsuspecting victim during the Seance. Mayhem ensues upon the girls' attempt to stop the meduim from escaping.

Octi Gone

Professor Utonium is hosting a party for all the rich and famous people in Townsville, so Bubbles makes sure that she is the most beautiful of the girls by continually grooming herself. While doing this, she notices one of Octi's legs poking out from under the girls' bed, so she goes to pick him up to find that all that's there is one of Octi's legs! After waking up from the shock, she vows to exact revenge on the person who 'killed' Octi.

Later Tonight: Two Japanese in real life American in the show gals who sing and cant even speak english.
Next Week: ...The Eds Christmas and Valentines specials again for some reason and a NEW BILLY AND MANDY.
[line]5[/line]​

NOTES
:

• 1 more to go. And then the Powerpuff Saga is done for good.
  • See Me, Feel Me, Gnomey is the last episode ever to air which is currently unknown.
  • This may be my last Powerpuff talkback ever. :eek:
  • These are the last 11 minute episodes to ever air.
  • This is the longest talkback ever.
  • I've used the word ever 4 times in this talkback...well now 5.
  • No Poll due to two episodes.
  • Ever show is moved a quarter back thanks to Cloooooone Wars
Let's Begin!

Zach

Lol, Gene Simmons is the man! Poor PPG... it gets left for the mob by it's creator and goes down the drain...

N310DA

Elvis Impersonator
Kind of refreshing to see PPG again. These episodes were pretty good, not fantastic, but pretty amusing.

Remember though, the show isn't "officially" cancelled after this last episode (although it will probobly end up that way due to lack of public intrest). Remember an "official" announcement was made here several months ago due to a misunderstanding? But then Craig himself posted here that the show was not "officially" cancelled?

Zach

Craig is on the forums? Or did he give someone the info to make as a news report?

One Radical Dude

Whoo-hoo!
From what I heard, McCracken does post here every now and then.

Anyway, not bad. I liked the second set better than the first two eps. I loved the storytelling of the second show, first episode (it's sorta Rocky and Bullwinkle-esque). The second show, second episode was fun, too.

I didn't really care for the first show, second episode, though.

First show (B/C-)

Second show (B+/B)

Tash

AnimeSage said:
Craig is on the forums? Or did he give someone the info to make as a news report?
He goes by "Puff Daddy". There's no way to contact him, and he VERY rarely posts. He does seem to lurk quite a bit though, so your opinions might matter.

Scythemantis

With Soar-Throat Ghost
Whimsical Willy is hilarious. They really nailed that eerie calm and sterility of these types of shows, esspecially with his voice and the "happy face....saaaad face" bit. Creepy. Great when he finally snapped. One big reference to Soupy Sales.

ktoriyama

Darkness in light
Actually

They had no right to bust Whimsical Willy, I mean he did nothing wrong. He just convinced a bunch of kids to donate money to him, he stole nothing.

I.R Joey

Yep my face got stuck this way
Yeah Craig MCcrackin does post her sometimes, very rarely but every once in a blue moon. He does lurk around though.

As for the episodes, from what I saw they were pretty good (better than some of the other more recent episodes.) I also loved the refrence to Jay Ward in the Rocky and Bulwinkel style episode.

Freedom Fighter

Well, apparently, PPG is on an homage-mission, since 3 of the 4 shorts were homages to something. The show may no longer be as good as it used to be, but for the post-movie era of the series... these are probably this era's best.

"Nuthin' Special" (6 out of 10):
- I'm with the narrator at the end on this... 'all of that for her 'tongue curling'... it's stupid!' If you wanna go 4th-wall level... the narrator saying the episode's stupid really makes a statement.
- But... the display of odd powers was intriguing, though.

"Neighbor Hood" (7 out of 10):
- Homage to pre-school shows and how anal-retentive to adults they can sometimes be (though in this episode, it was exaggerated a little).
- Between Bubbles stealing money from the Mayor's vault and a clown being the 'bad guy'... both had been done better in the past, by Blossom (Season 2, when she stole those golf clubs as a Father's Day present), and by Rainbow the Clown (from the happy black-and-white-to-color sing along from Season 1).

"I See a Funny Cartoon in Your Future" (9 out of 10):
- Homage to old '50s and '60s toons, particularly 'The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show.' I wonder... was the VA who voiced Madam Argentina the same woman who did Natasha?
- Since when is Townsville a gated city?
- "We're up against a tarot-ist!" Interesting quote by Blossom.
- Why was everyone saying keep the change when they gave exact change?

"Octi-Gone" (7 out of 10):
- Homage to detective/mystery shows! Including all of the shocked gasping you can stand! :D
- Okay, so I'll buy into Prof. Utonium's story into what happened. But you expect me to believe that without glue or stitches, he just slipped that broken leg back on Octi? Not to mention he tried to stick it in backwards about a dozen times before Bubbles corrected him.

I'll give the first pair overall a 7, the second pair an 8. Once again, better than pretty much everything we've had post-movie, but nothing worth comparing to the best episodes pre-movie.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Freedom Fighter said:
"I See a Funny Cartoon in Your Future" (9 out of 10):
- Why was everyone saying keep the change when they gave exact change?
It's a joke. They tried to keep as close to Jay Ward's style of humor as possible.

Fan of Sponge

I did see the first episode, but not the second. The episode Nuthin' Special was nothing special for me. I thought it was a complete waste of a good 12 minutes. The only part I liked was Bubbles speaking Spanish. Good refrence on that one. Neighbor Hood was good trap to get all the money and enjoyed the butt kicking of the girls. I didn't get to see the second episode. I wonder when it will air again in the daytime?:shrug:

Iamthafacts

So, basically because of making the movie a prequel disaster to the show, PPG decline was going to happen eventually?

DocForbin

Iamthafacts said:
So, basically because of making the movie a prequel disaster to the show, PPG decline was going to happen eventually?

I've got to agree with some other people here that it began to go downhill when McCracken left the helm. Resorting to Ren and Stimpy-style humor kind of killed it for me, especially jokes about betwetting and breaking wind. At least these two eps had some of the spark of the pre-movie era in them.

Nin-Nin69

[CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
What the Hell was going on in Neighbor Hood? The first half starts out with a great parody of almost every old fashioned, pre-school shows. Then it dives into a pool of complete randomness. The Mayor for some odd reason was holding all of the money in Townsville? This was the most confusing part of the episode.

1) Why would he be trusted with the money?
2) What happened to the all of the banks in Townsville?
3) Bubbles steals the money and nobody seems to care. Where is the justice here after all of those past episodes?

After that stupid train wreck, Whimsical Willy is now a crimminal for asking people to send him money. Well then I guess Mathew Lasko should've been put in jail a long time ago for asking people the same question and wearing those flashy dollar sign jackets.

And what about the convicted criminals? Did he break them out of jail or they just happened to work for him after they did their time? That never is explained. Just the fact alone that they have prison suits on gives you the right to pound the living daylights out of them.

Neighbor Hood is one of the best examples as to why the show has slowly gone down hill.

Freedom Fighter

Iamthafacts said:
In addition to what DocForbin said, the long break between the end of Season 4 and the premiere of Season 5 killed the show's momentum. I don't remember the exact timeframe, but it was a 12-18 month gap... and the movie premiered towards the latter stages of that 'break.'

Also (this isn't my personal opinion, but I'm sure there are some who do have this one), there's the possibility that PPG probably didn't have the punch as a feature-length movie that it did with its regular 11- or 22-minute episodes.

This isn't to say Seasons 5 and 6 would've been as superb if McCracken had stayed around. There's no way you can predict the 'what ifs.' But we do know what the writing staff has done with the show since the movie, and it really has gone downhill. It's too bad... it diminshed the greatness of the show.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts