CN Ratings Thread: Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
If I remember correctly, CN uploaded episodes of their shows weeks before they aired on TV for years now, it's nothing new. PPG 2016 had some of its episodes uploaded on the app weeks before they aired on TV and their numbers were just as good as Adventure Time's or Steven Universe' numbers now, yet people considered them awful ratings.
I feel people are much more motivated to watch Steven as early as they can though, not to mention this app release was pushed MUCH harder than any of the other ones.

I'm surprised that Steven Universe hasn't reached over 1 million views. I guess it has to deal with Cartoon Network rarely airing the show.
Nah, the show NEVER got a lot of reruns (and the periods when it did didn't last very long), yet the show managed to get highly popular in spite of that.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Yeah, I agree with @Toon4Thought. One, Steven has a very dedicated and eager online fanbase. They're fully invested in the show and genuinely look forward to how it continues. Two, it was a special event or at least seemed that way thanks to the promotion. People, even those who aren't huge fans, thus probably checked the episodes on the app beforehand - out of curiousity if nothing else. Those numbers for the live feed premiere, almost 900K, I would therefore consider a really good result - especially with the gap there was between the app release and tv debut. I think it shows that Steven is still relevant even if the linear treatment isn't ideal due to various factors. Or this impression is completely wrong and nobody actually watched the episodes on the app for whatever reason and people just waited for the live broadcast instead - which is theoretically possible since we don't have app numbers yet. I could imagine people not knowing about the app release despite the promotion or not caring about it and waiting to support the show rather on tv than on demand. Maybe the app numbers are indeed terrible. Who really knows. But that's a different discussion.

Toon4Thought

Yeah, I agree with @Toon4Thought. One, Steven has a very dedicated and eager online fanbase. They're fully invested in the show and genuinely look forward to how it continues. Two, it was a special event or at least seemed that way thanks to the promotion. People, even those who aren't huge fans, thus probably checked the episodes on the app beforehand - out of curiousity if nothing else. Those numbers for the live feed premiere, almost 900K, I would therefore consider a really good result - especially with the gap there was between the app release and tv debut. I think it shows that Steven is still relevant even if the linear treatment isn't ideal due to various factors. Or this impression is completely wrong and nobody actually watched the episodes on the app for whatever reason and people just waited for the live broadcast instead - which is theoretically possible since we don't have app numbers yet. I could imagine people not knowing about the app release despite the promotion or not caring about it and waiting to support the show rather on tv than on demand. Maybe the app numbers are indeed terrible. Who really knows. But that's a different discussion.
I know a lot of people who watched the episodes on the app, so obviously at least a fair number of folks did.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

January 1st
Unikitty
6:00 am (Series Premiere): 645,000 (0.26)
7:00 am: 633,000 (0.20)
8:00 am: 640,000 (0.18)
9:00 am: 780,000 (0.23)
10:00 am: 843,000 (0.22)
11:00 am: 859,000 (0.22)

Toon4Thought

It does make sense that the number would increase over time, since more and more people would be getting awake, but it's really hard to tell how successful the show will actually be. Especially given online buzz frankly seems to matter more to CN than actual ratings nowadays.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Looking back, these numbers at least show us that airing the Infinity Train pilot and the pilot for Victor and Valentino iirc at 6AM wasn't probably the smartest idea. Sure, each day the results will differ depending on various factors, but in general it makes little sense other than the "it's the first thing on so obviously people will watch it" argument. They also show us that people didn't think it was worth getting up at 6AM to catch the premiere - either because they knew it would come later on or because it was too early for New Year when everyone sleeps longer to begin with. Last but not least, 860K being the highest isn't that much. It's good, but not groundbreaking - but maybe someone can compare with previous series premieres (especially with TTG!) and make the result more optimistic.

Toon4Thought

Looking back, these numbers at least show us that airing the Infinity Train pilot and the pilot for Victor and Valentino iirc at 6AM wasn't probably the smartest idea. Sure, each day the results will differ depending on various factors, but in general it makes little sense other than the "it's the first thing on so obviously people will watch it" argument. They also show us that people didn't think it was worth getting up at 6AM to catch the premiere - either because they knew it would come later on or because it was too early for New Year when everyone sleeps longer to begin with. Last but not least, 860K being the highest isn't that much. It's good, but not groundbreaking - but maybe someone can compare with previous series premieres (especially with TTG!) and make the result more optimistic.
Well, one has to take into account that the episodes loop like 2 or 3 times each day for 5 days. So, I find it likely some of them just thought to catch a later showing. Thus, these ratings frankly don't mean much, for more than the reasons they aren't too important to CN in general these days.

It's just like when Disney XD premiered Star Vs episodes early morning, and then repeated them multiple times the same day.

jaylop97

Staff member
It looks like Unikitty did really well for the hours that it aired, for the most part, it looks like it could have done much better if it saw an airing later that day, knowing it was boosting in viewers hourly,

Toon4Thought

Apparently the TTG marathon did do somewhat well. Not great by any stretch, but still above the average CN got for the week before.

Though it really doesn't convey much one way or the other, since the increase isn't that big and it could easily be explained by the kids spending more time at home.

Last edited:

dprboy

Apparently the TTG marathon did do somewhat well. Not great by any stretch, but still above the average CN got for the week before.

Though it really doesn't convey much one way or the other, since the increase isn't that big and it could easily be explained by the kids spending more time at home.
that kinda sucks!i hope this does not mean more TTG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts