CN is bringing back live-action programming.

ATSFGuy

Don't forget 1999 CCF (before the cartoons hosting), Fridays, and Fried Dynamite.

Exactly. Personally, I don't mind Cartoon Network doing live action stuff as long it had something to with animation, whatever be commercial segments or otherwise.
Didn't CN's demise happen after the Friday's Block ended? I also heard Jim Samples left in early 2007 so that might have something to do with the overall quality of the programming as well.

CN Real block started in 2009 and run until maybe fall 2011, I remember browsing around/reading comments on this site about how fans thought the shows were complete rip-offs. Annoying Orange was TERRIBLE!

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Didn't CN's demise happen after the Friday's Block ended? I also heard Jim Samples left in early 2007 so that might have something to do with the overall quality of the programming as well.

Before that, actually. CN started airing live-action in late 2005. They dipped their toes in the water with live-action movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (which made sense), The Goonies and Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves, then gradually started adding TV shows like Zixx and Goosebumps. It was a slow process that eventually culminated in CN Real.

Moe

Outside of the HBO Max problems, those classic H-B cartoons can be watched on unofficial cartoon websites that have titles A to Z.
But they have zero closed caption and totally useless to me. I’m born deaf and need to rely on closed caption to understand about shows are saying.

I bought many H-B contents on iTunes and subbed Boomerang so both are fully closed caption.

Last edited:

TheWolfPup2006

"I can fly, I can fly, I can flyyyyy!"
I do have mixed feelings about this whole thing. I understand they're trying to appeal to female audiences, but copying other networks like Disney and Nickelodeon and adding live action again? Let's hope its only like one or two shows and NOT a whole lot. After all, its called "Cartoon Network" for a reason...

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
The female audience not watching CN is mainly because there are no animated series that are about girls of that age. You see Disney's Amphibia and The Owl House being beloved, DreamWorks is also doing good work, but are there any shows from CN? While things are changing behind the scenes with women becoming more prominent in animation and executive positions, there needs to be a few animated shows catering to girls on the network. Doesn't have to be school based or a slice of life.

Otherwise time and money will be wasted and everyone loses.

Moe

If CN want to diversify the channel so they should re-run of some H-B cartoons like Powerpuff Girls, Scooby Doo, Smurfs, Flintstones, Top Cat, Peter Potamus, The Space Kidettes, Josie and the Pussycats, The Funky Phantom, Butch Cassidy, Jeannie, Jabberjaw, The Biskitts, Kwicky Koala Show, Snorks and several others and those are friendly to female as well as general audience. It is quick fix and very easy for CN to get those.

CN: Hi WB, we need a list of H-B shows to air on CN.
WB: Sure, no problem. Let me to get tapes.
CN: Waiting...
WB: There are full of tapes so have fun.
CN: Thanks

No need for live action shows because it doesn't fit CN brand, so they are CN, not Disney nor Nick.

Back in 1990s, CN had diverse audience before it turned mostly channel for boys in 2000s.

I personally have mixed opinions, I don’t like that Cartoon Network is doing live-action shows again, but I’m hoping that if they play their cards, then this could be not as bad as we are thinking right now.

BUT, they need to do these things:

• It’s a Cartoon Network, so Cartoons should still and always will be the main focus.

• There should be 2-4 live action shows (maximum) on the network, don’t add just any live-action show. Make the shows original and don’t make them all live-action comedies, make some variety with them as well. (Personally, Tower Prep and Unnatural History were good IMO)

• Make more cartoons as girls as the protagonists and antagonists as well. The network can make shows cater to girls as live action and animated.

And lastly, don’t be like 2000s Disney Channel where you try to make a person on those shows celebrities and pop stars. From what I see on “Family Mash-Up”, that’s the show where they’ll most likely try to make a Disney-like celebrity. Just don’t do it, the show will be fine if they play the cards right and make it enjoyable for not only kids, but for older audiences like teens, families, and adults.

Last edited:

RunoMisaki573

Nobody is going to watch them. The channel's name is CARTOON Network. Everyone knows of the channel as that one network that only airs cartoons. Did these people learn nothing from CN Real?
If worse comes to worst, might as well rename the network as "TBS Kids" since Cartoon Network's owned by Turner if I'm not mistaken.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts