CN is bringing back live-action programming.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member

After Warnermedia announced its slate, Ascheim elaborated on his unit’s strategy in an appearance at Kidscreen Summit’s virtual edition. Here are six takeaways from the session:

Cartoon Network is getting back into live action, with the blessing of audiences. The network has made live-action shows in the past (never with huge success), but Ascheim said it is committing to the medium under his leadership. For some of his colleagues, he added, producing anything other than cartoons "felt like a bump." But when they ran the idea of live-action shows on Cartoon Network by viewers, they embraced the idea "without a blink."

Live action is partly a way to reach more girls. Ascheim's data shows that girls "age out of animation earlier than boys" before returning to it as young adults. Live-action shows like the recently announced Family Mash-Up (from Hannah Montana creator Michael Poryes) were greenlit with that in mind. Animation that "does a stronger job of showing girls" is also on the cards.

Markus Nelis

I would take anything even live-action on CN at this point. Otherwise the linear channel could've still be boring like it has been as of late.

Peter Paltridge

Out To Lunch
Staff member
I think we're at the beginning stages of cable's final decline. From this point forward, unless something changes, streaming will get all the big shows and cable will get the leftovers, or things that debuted on streaming months ago but in an edited form. And no one's gonna pay over a hundred bucks a month for that.

TheMisterManGuy

I think its clear at this point that CN going forward is going to be little more than a promotional vehicle for HBO Max's Kids lineup. Why else would there be multiple shows coming to both CN and HBO Max.

harry580

I think its clear at this point that CN going forward is going to be little more than a promotional vehicle for HBO Max's Kids lineup. Why else would there be multiple shows coming to both CN and HBO Max.
that what I seeing there now you think about it

and for 5yearsontheeastcoast part

and the funny thing is, if warner media bought mgm (meant they owned the breakin franchise which included the sequel which called breakin 2: electric boogaloo) warner media will owned the joke and use the name for their new live action block

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
Reminds me of Disney Channel and their sitcoms for pre-teens back in the 2000's, that was Sweeny's strategy, and Ascheim did work at Freefrom/ABC Family so he would be aware of that strategy. I'm wondering where the blessing from audiences came from, though. This is different, seemingly to CN Real, becasue CN Real was cheaper reality shows that targeted boys. This seems that the phone company wants to have live-action shows for kids because it's cheaper, but they only have one brand for kids and that's CN ( Boomerang is uhhh not there) so they are going with that.

whoisretro

Reminds me of Disney Channel and their sitcoms for pre-teens back in the 2000's, that was Sweeny's strategy, and Ascheim did work at Freefrom/ABC Family so he would be aware of that strategy. I'm wondering where the blessing from audiences came from, though. This is different, seemingly to CN Real, becasue CN Real was cheaper reality shows that targeted boys. This seems that the phone company wants to have live-action shows for kids because it's cheaper, but they only have one brand for kids and that's CN ( Boomerang is uhhh not there) so they are going with that.

They most likely got a focus group of kids.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I think we're at the beginning stages of cable's final decline. From this point forward, unless something changes, streaming will get all the big shows and cable will get the leftovers, or things that debuted on streaming months ago but in an edited form. And no one's gonna pay over a hundred bucks a month for that.
It's more likely time for vMVPD to shine.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
And with all that crap said and done, we can all look forward to another dark age while anime is on the rise, thanks to streaming. Streaming is the only other thing saving the medium that is Western animation (cartoons), as it is, honestly. We all know why by now, right? I hope so...

PF9

If CN is really going to do this, they should sometimes air alternate broadcasts of sports events (like NBA and MLB) being produced for other WarnerMedia networks, aimed at a kid audience (in response to Nick's success airing an alternate broadcast of an NFL playoff game).

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
*Sighs* Guess I shouldn't be too surprised we're going in that direction. It seems like CN is in the final steps of admitting that it's 2 largest series Amazing World of Gumball and Teen Titans don't have much longer shelf lives. Gumball really only has it's epilogue movie and though TT does have another season it is looking more and more like CN is trying to finally ween itself off from relying too much on it, thus there was going to have to be something to fill the void. And yeah even if something like Eliot from Earth is getting a push to do so... it's not going to be that. Rather seems like instead CN is making clear it's going for a total young kid demographic and is fine doing anything it's power to obtain that and yeah this time around we're not going to get anything to counter that because... HBO Max is taking the best toys and leaving CN with the Scraps.

See the thing is that CN Real though a stupid move at the time and even in hindsight did have SOME rationale behind it. CN didn't really have a huge beloved hit or ratings smash at the time since though Foster's and Bill and Mandy were enjoyed they weren't Powerpuff Girls or Ed edd n Eddy level hits and yeah as much toys as Ben 10 sold it still coudln't really be shoveled down as a big network hit Thus why CN went more with acquistions and yeah live action programming which didn't work but in a weird way did actual show CN taking changes and thinking outside the box. And that helped them net Adventure Time which changed things and for awhile helped CN land it's most impressive line of cartoon originals the network had. Of course those started dilluting more and more as different more basic hits came in and the interesting stuff was going on the streaming channel which yeah is pretty much taking any idea that would appeal to a general viewer base and leaving CN stuff just to appeal to kids. I guess on some level this at least learned ONE Lesson from CN Real to you know attract to female viewers because yeah CN Real actually did with some of their shows but CN didn't want little girl viewers at time (due to that garbage executive mentality of "girls don't buy toys" which thankfully is much less a thing now) but now obviously realizes their value but yeah... the rest of this reveal feels terrible and the sad thing is there isn't anything really coming that can save CN since any good shows are going to either be focused first or put directly on HBO Max so yeah CN ain't going to be left with a big enough shovel to dig themselves out of this whole.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Nobody is going to watch them. The channel's name is CARTOON Network. Everyone knows of the channel as that one network that only airs cartoons. Did these people learn nothing from CN Real?
Yeah - no one is gonna watch them like they are streaming or anime. No - these fools have gone insane/haven't learned or managed to learn a damn thing. Let the new dark age begin!

5YearsOnEastCoast

Honestly I don't know if CN will have big hits anymore. I mean Infinity Train is doing pretty damn well on HBO MAX, but for some strange reason they decided not to renew it. COTC is doing fine, but not really groundbreaking. Gumball and TTG were on CN for ages. And most other stuff aren't all that hot.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

If they want to appeal more to girls, then live action is not the thing to do. Girls know that if they want live action, there's Disney for them to watch, which has shows specifically made for them. Disney has always been known as the "girls" network, while CN has always been knows as the "boys" network. You can't change that, especially not now when TV is dead. Also why doesn't CN look at what shows from past did very well for them in the female demo? According to my research, Young Justice, Teen Titans, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Total Drama Island, Infinity Train and The Powerpuff Girls were all watched by a large amount of girls. Notice something about these shows? They were all either story driven or had females as its main protagonists. The only live action show watched by lots of girls was Tower Prep, and guess what, that was story driven as well.

I'm betting 10 bucks that Unicorn: Warriors Eternal and the TDI reboot will be watched by more girls than these live action shows will.

Btw CN has an ongoing show right now that is perfect for girls: DC Super Hero Girls. Why are they airing 0 reruns of it and why they have been mistreating it from the very beginning?

Perla Magica

Digital Love
If they want to appeal more to girls, then live action is not the thing to do. Girls know that if they want live action, there's Disney for them to watch, which has shows specifically made for them. Disney has always been known as the "girls" network, while CN has always been knows as the "boys" network. You can't change that, especially not now when TV is dead. Also why doesn't CN look at what shows from past did very well for them in the female demo? According to my research, Young Justice, Teen Titans, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Total Drama Island, Infinity Train and The Powerpuff Girls were all watched by a large amount of girls. Notice something about these shows? They were all either story driven or had females as its main protagonists. The only live action show watched by lots of girls was Tower Prep, and guess what, that was story driven as well.

I'm betting 10 bucks that Unicorn: Warriors Eternal and the TDI reboot will be watched by more girls than these live action shows will.

Btw CN has an ongoing show right now that is perfect for girls: DC Super Hero Girls. Why are they airing 0 reruns of it and why they have been mistreating it from the very beginning?
That's a good question. DCSHG barely has reruns and has a small amount of promotion when it comes of new episodes which is pretty sad because I like this show and I wish CN would promote it better.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm just kind of baffled at the notion of girls aging out of animation sooner than boys. Based on my experiences, particularly with classmates getting on my case for not watching MTV when it ironically still didn't have much music, I'd say that it would happen around the same time. To be fair, my experiences wouldn't really reflect how kids nowadays grow out of animated shows and I'm sure that they've done research to get to this conclusion too. It just kind of threw me off guard since I never really grew out of animation and I've met plenty of girls, both around my age and younger, who watched animated series pretty consistently too.

It's also kind of a weird decision to make live action shows in order to appeal to girls, especially when there have been other animated series that have appealed more to girls in the past two. This feels especially weird when I remember hearing about Young Justice being cancelled in part because more girls were watching it too. That might have been a rumor and I think that the lack of toy sales was still the main issue, but it is strange to think about that when they're now set on appealing more to girls.

I'm also not really sure if this would appeal more to girls. Now the whole issue of Cartoon Network airing live action shows doesn't really bother me that much. I watch Cartoon Network primarily through On Demand and rarely watch it live, so that makes it even easier for me to avoid shows that I don't care about. I'm just not sure if watching something live action would make girls more eager to watch Cartoon Network, especially when the Disney Channel is practically full of shows that would appeal to girls too. Live action is cheaper and easier to produce than animated shows, which might be one reason they're going down that route again, but it's kind of like trying to fit a square block in a circle. I'm just not too confident that this is the solution for getting more girls to watch their channel and it could just backfire again. It might not be as bad as the CN Real days, if only because that felt a pretty desperate attempt to change the channel's image, but it probably will result in a similar kind of backlash.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

harry580 wrote on Santana434's profile.
hi, what cartoon is your profile pic from?

I haven't seen an Nostalgia Critic episode in 6 years and i don't plan on coming back.

But good lord this is cringe. It straight up looks like a 2001 Newgrounds cartoon. I'm suprised Foamy the Squirrel didn't pop up
So is there going to be a "Do you remember ___________?" thread for every show that ever existed? Or is it just for shows that came out in the last 30 years?
I wish a happy 49th birthday to Aliki Theofilopoulos Grafft.

I could find some stuff that was relatable from Kansas City.

Featured Posts