Closed TV channels you miss.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Definitely Animax CE, which could have been handled better, and SuperMax CZ - which was probably the most robust kids channel, in terms of variety, in CE to date. Maybe also Premiéra TV from Czech channels that aired many shows like SuperMax that were never rerun since.

AdrenalineRush1996

I miss both Trouble and Bravo UK since for the former, I feel like it would've made a great teen-oriented channel under Sky had it not been folded a year before Sky acquired Virgin Media's TV channels and for the latter, I think it should've been stayed on instead of shutting down in the beginning of 2011.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
Game one and A+
I think these two were cool concepts for tv channels
I was going to say "Wait, Game One is still here and thriving in France." Then, I see A+ and I understand you talk of the Hungarian version.

AdrenalineRush1996

There's one Portuguese channel I miss and it's People+Arts, which was a joint venture between Discovery and BBC and aired a mix of British and American programmes, most notably Extreme Makeover: Home Edition before it was replaced by Discovery Travel & Living, which in turn became TLC Portugal.

Palk Áron 2002

2000s Hungarian TV Blooregarder
And for me, besides the Hungarian VIVA, I also miss the Polish one.

I remember watching it in the summers of 2009-2010 in Croatia through a digital satellite receiver. In this version, the logo changed colors after minutes, while in the Hungarian the color changed in contrast with the parts of the day. Also unlike the Hungarian one, this version didn't have any reality series (or maybe?) and counted down during ads with a transparent logo.

Edit: it did have realities until its last years.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

I quite miss a bit of Discovery Kids UK. It's a pity that the channel was shut down three years before their main American version became the Hub Network until four years later, when they became Discovery Family.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Nickelodeon GaS - Despite its later years running automated, was still a classic nostalgia spot for great game shows, even if some of them weren't on there anymore. It was definitely fun when around 2003 when I first lay witness to 'Camp GaS' for a summer long event. (in which they played Salute Your Shorts!) Don't recall if it started in '02 or maybe '01 when I first had it two years in. Some great blocks, lineups and fun commercial breaks with their own content. Fortunately having DISH, was able to enjoy it until some time in April 2009 when most(*) everyone else lost it New Year's Eve in 2007. Nothing changed when DISH carried it content-wise but in '08, there'd been some frequent errors to where the commercial breaks started with audio but then cut out the rest of it however long it added, and the on-screen bug was a little bit bigger and transparent. It was thanks to this I was able to enjoy game shows I'd never seen before, primarily due to ending close to the time I could start to comprehend, so Finders Keepers, Get the Picture, Think Fast, Make the Grade, and SK8-TV were those shows I'd not known of until I saw them here. Revisiting the classic Double Dare was a treat among all the others, with Guts + Legends topping my favorites to watch.

The Hub / Hub Network - Enjoyed its launch in a few spots 10.10.10. I didn't watch necessarily much, but when 'classic'/fan-favorite shows were broadcast, those are what I'd mostly watched. Fraggle Rock was a big one for me being able to relive that. I enjoyed their HuBoom block, and even their prime time lineup of acquired comedies and dramas. Of course, there's 2011, when a certain show began its run. Didn't see it the day it premiered but did in the next couple weeks when they played its first 6 episodes, and instantly fell in love with it, easily watching reruns thanks to its writers producing great comedy.

FOX/ABC Family - Didn't watch 'The Family Channel' at all I think when it was that, but started for sure when it was FOX Family. I recall a lunch-time lineup that included 2 episodes of Garfield and Friends an hour apart with Inspector Gadget and The Kids from Room 402 (which I never caught onto) in the middle of those Garfields. Eventually becoming ABC Family and when it was that, I enjoyed a lot of syndicated broadcasts of sitcoms like Full House, Family Matters, and especially Step by Step. None of them I'd seen in their initial runs, but Whose Line is it Anyway when they played it was my #1 fav on there and lasted a long time I recall as well as Step by Step which I loved. Pretty much when each one I watched was gone, so was I.

The N - Once again, it was shows I watched on another network I came back to for a taste of nostalgia and joy in seeing it again. Pete & Pete, Clarissa, and eventually Alex Mack. However, I did enjoy other shows broadcast ranging from Ghostwriter I hadn't recalled seeing elsewhere. I also liked one of their imports, Being Eve. I didn't see 24Seven much but I know that was there. Also really enjoyed A Walk in Your Shoes. At the time I first saw The N, they were only broadcast from 6pm-4am I think, maybe 3. After the block and before Noggin started up, they had a 2-hour Cable in the Classroom block with a few different shows each getting their own 2-hour spot each week. Bill Nye the Science Guy was among those shows including a few I'd never heard of, 3-2-1 Contact for example, though as much fun as it was watching Bill Nye again, became the only of those shows I caught, and even that wasn't much. Later on when The N had expanded to a full 12-hours, I remember other imports and other teen-based shows they did. Many I didn't watch, but it was a great feel for the network, and they belonged. That's when it 'was' teen shows. They also had a reality competition show called Boys vs. Girls which was enjoyable. TeenNick now sadly can't compare to that at least in regards to the channel name. Many of those shows were 'tween' targeted I'd say. While yes, I enjoyed some of those too, it's still the name of the channel that doesn't make them feel in place, though perhaps teenagers when some of those shows were broadcast originally (in which I was before High School grad), still fits from their demo. Just not the same like it used to be with The N though. (I type mostly this, but not my favorite listed here) -------- I don't really have much to say for Noggin as I had watched a few shows, but only for nostalgia, and I think just two. Little Bear + Gullah Gullah Island.

G4 - I really didn't watch this one all that much - at least not until it had become that from TechTV, but I did for a few anime, and IIRC, didn't stick to completion on any of them. I wish I had in a way, but also it may have been due to a lack of interest in the anime itself. Kind of most of what [as] played had more of an interest in, and no matter what G4 got, seemed I couldn't get into it. I wish I tried better but couldn't force myself to try something not interested in. Do wish I payed a little more attention to those superhero anime they'd broadcast like Iron Man and etc. They were plenty on weekends close to the end of G4's broadcast life.

.... just to name a few with minimal description ;)

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Now I realized I forgot to name one channel in my initial list.
Game Network! This one was part of my early childhood, somehow, as I used to watch it on satellite when I was quite young. In the early 2000's, Hotbird was full of interesting FTA channels, especially Italian ones. There was GAY.tv, Planet(e) died FTA here in Italy, Game Network with the European feed, Dance TV (a music channel that aired dance music)...

I remember Game Network, that channel was on Sky here, from what I remember it broadcast from Italy. It became Babestation (it started off as late night block on the channel) and moved to the Adult section of the EPG :D

I miss both Trouble and Bravo UK since for the former, I feel like it would've made a great teen-oriented channel under Sky had it not been folded a year before Sky acquired Virgin Media's TV channels and for the latter, I think it should've been stayed on instead of shutting down in the beginning of 2011.

I miss Bravo the most, I felt its closure was unjustified and it was among the oldest cable channels in the UK, but I guess Sky runs too many channels and had to integrate the programming somehow. Trouble was a spin-off from TCC and I'd say I miss TCC more than Trouble. I've wrote about the channel's strange death and why it carried on in Scandinavia for an extra two years and also the planned joint-venture with Fox Kids that never happened. The content from TCC to Fox Kids and other channels helped soften the blow from the loss of the channel. I also used to watch FTN from the early days of Freeview quite a bit, it had a mixture of shows from all the Flextech channels.

I quite miss a bit of Discovery Kids UK. It's a pity that the channel was shut down three years before their main American version became the Hub Network until four years later, when they became Discovery Family.

I used to watch quite a bit of Discovery Kids UK, and was actually pleased when it finally made its debut on Sky after being an exclusive on OnDigital/ITV Digital along with Discovery Wings. Learnt quite a few things from that channel too. I have branding information for this channel, so I'll write about it soon.

I also miss [.tv], it was a computer/technology focused channel that had shows about hardware, software, gaming and Photoshop and Flash tutorials. Two shows I remember were Masterclass and Chips with Everything. I guess people having better internet connections to easily access this sort of info from the web basically killed the channel. You might as well look on the internet if you're using a computer anyway.

Fox Kids is another one, I know that Jetix was basically the same, but there were some shows I watched during that era that either didn't air again or was rarely re-aired.

My regret is that I should've watched more CNX, I was at the lower end of the channel's demographics in terms of age when it launched, but it was a great channel.

JMTV Studios

I remember watching Nick GAS a lot back in the day (before it's shut down). Even though I didn't like it as much compared to Nicktoons Network and Noggin and The N, but it was still fun to watch, even if it can get a little repetitive at times.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
AZN Television/International Channel: I have fond memories of this channel as a kid because this was the network that exposed me to the Japanese version of DBZ. No subtitles but the episodes were far enough into the run compared to the run on Toonami that I could brag to my friends that I was seeing future episodes, even though I could not understand what they're saying(I started watching in the middle of the Cell Saga). I was very sad when Comcast moved the channel from the basic tier to a premium tier(it was during the tournament arc of the Buu saga), so I could not watch it anymore.

Years later, when my family got premium cable, I was able to get the channel again, but by then, the network had re-branded to AZN Television and anime was more-or-less gone. They aired other Asian programming but I wasn't interested. That being said, if the channel was still here today, I probably would watch the live-action programming since I do watch Korean and Japanese dramas.

JMTV Studios

Like I said, I still miss The Hub...

Capture64.PNG

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

YOU GUYS!! I was on a Twitch stream with Jordan Todosey (the voice of Willa on Willa's Wild Life) and sent that "Sound Good To You?" video through her Discord server AND YOU ARE NOT GONNA BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED OMG-- And she even tried to do Willa's voice too in the process!! I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED Y'ALL OMG-
The clip:
I found this tweet from Tom Warburton from April. Why I only discovered it now is a mystery. In any case, the show didn't win the Annie Awards for preschool programming, but here's the acceptance speech for what would have happened if the show did win.

Say NO to Hungary's anti-LGBT law!
My name is Luca, I live on the ocean floor....
The Hungarian anti-LGBT law has sadly passed by the government! And Portugal beaten us 0-3.
Today's addition in Palk Áron 2002's Arts is about Bloo having both feelings.

Featured Posts