Classic metal as a terrestrial radio format

PF9

Sirius XM has numerous channels that play older metal songs, though usually separated by subgenre.

And they are quite popular.

So I think classic metal could work as a terrestrial radio format. It's basically classic rock, but without the lighter bands.

A terrestrial classic metal station could theoretically play any metal up from the late 1960s until the 1990s, encompassing early metal bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin, hair metal bands like Bon Jovi, Poison, and Ratt, thrash metal bands like Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, and Slayer, NWOBHM bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Motorhead (all of whom frequently played thrash precursor speed metal), progressive metal bands like Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and Queensryche, heavier grunge bands such as Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, early alternative metal bands like Jane's Addiction, early nu metal bands like Korn, and even early death and black metal bands (with many songs edited for content).

The closest Cleveland has to a classic metal station is All Request Saturday Night on WNCX, which plays a lot of classic metal especially in the last two hours. I've even come across them playing a Korn song from 1994, Blind, during these hours.

But if classic metal were a truly full-fledged terrestrial radio format, it could be popular. Classic rock, classic hip hop, classic hits, classic soul and classic country formats have flourished on terrestrial radio for decades. Now is the time to give classic metal a chance. Stations in large markets struggling with their current formats should seriously consider a shift to classic metal.

Zorak Masaki

As someone who loves metal, I cant see that working as by mixing up several different subgenres, you still run the risk of people changing the channel when a band playing a style they dislike comes on (ie, a Scorpions fan changing the channel when a Cannibal Corpse song comes on). Not to mention that most metal fans dont really listen to mainstream radio all that much.

PF9

Well, there are plenty of metalheads who like many different subgenres.

A classic metal station could theoretically give each subgenre its own part on the broadcast schedule. You'd hear thrash metal in one hour and hair metal in another for instance.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Apparently, in addition to the DreamWorks incarnation of Trolls... Disney Channel aired the DiC one?
they can bring back g4, chiller, and cloo back on xumo, i mean if they bring back spike tv for pluto tv, why not chiller, cloo, and g4 for xumo
Hey guys, I'm back! Been gone for almost a year from having a lot on my plate but now I have more free time. I hope everyone here is making it through these tough and difficult times.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of when Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was released in North America. Majora's Mask was the second game from the franchise I played and certainly fits with the Halloween theme.
Why did Adult Swim air the Family Guy episode Wasted Talent as part of the Halloween special?