Classic Cartoons on TV (in the world)

Cool_Cat

I wanted to make this thread because I have some kind of trouble keeping up with all these channels airing theatrical cartoons around the world, and I’d like to know if there are more.

These are the ones I know:

-Italy

Italia 1: they have the rights to the whole Warner Bros library right now. They aired Looney Tunes a lot in the last 3 years but now they have only Tom and Jerry in the schedule. They also aired Popeye shorts last year, while we haven’t seen Walter Lantz shorts in over a decade.

Boomerang: they have a very low variety of Looney Tunes and no one shots, but something rare comes out sometimes. They only air classics during big marathons unfortunately.

-Topolino channel: it’s an yearly pop up channel by Disney Channel with classic Disney shorts. Unfortunately they have a very low variety, with only one B&W cartoon showing up.

-Rai 2: only Disney shorts on winter holidays, but they have a very good variety. This being the public broadcaster aired pretty much everything in the past. They apparently lost the rights to the WB library, but I hope they’ll get them again one day.

-Switzerland

RSI La 1: classic WB and MGM shorts every weekend on a dedicated block. They have almost the whole library and no censorship at all, but they apparently buy only a few shorts at time and re air them. Probably the best source in Europe.

-France

Boomerang: only source for classics in France apparently. They have good variety (even though it got worse) but the censorship kinda ruined everything.

-Poland

Puls 2: they don’t have them in the schedule right now, but they pop up very often. They air Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry. They have a very good variety of cartoons from the a.a.p. package, but no English track.

-Slovakia

Markiza: I didn’t know about this until a while ago. This channel is fully owned by WB, but way better than any Boomerang. They have no censorship and an huge variety compared to Italia 1. Very recommended.

-Brazil

SBT: they have a saturday block. No theatricals right now, but they usually show up very often. They aired MGM, WB, Walter Lantz and even Disney shorts.

Tooncast: the best channel. Ever. Period. :D

NewBogus :)

You're fired!
Germany:

Boomerang: Tom and Jerry shorts with old 1970's ZDF dubbing, and sometimes Looney Tunes shorts with the dub done for LTGC DVDs and Kabel 1.

The same for Super RTL, but SRTL cuts the original opening and ending credits for both shows.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Portugal: nothing. Classic cartoons are pretty much neglected by the modern Portuguese channels and reboots are everywhere.

DVDLooney

I wanted to make this thread because I have some kind of trouble keeping up with all these channels airing theatrical cartoons around the world, and I’d like to know if there are more.

These are the ones I know:

-Italy

Italia 1: they have the rights to the whole Warner Bros library right now. They aired Looney Tunes a lot in the last 3 years but now they have only Tom and Jerry in the schedule. They also aired Popeye shorts last year, while we haven’t seen Walter Lantz shorts in over a decade.

Boomerang: they have a very low variety of Looney Tunes and no one shots, but something rare comes out sometimes. They only air classics during big marathons unfortunately.

-Topolino channel: it’s an yearly pop up channel by Disney Channel with classic Disney shorts. Unfortunately they have a very low variety, with only one B&W cartoon showing up.

-Rai 2: only Disney shorts on winter holidays, but they have a very good variety. This being the public broadcaster aired pretty much everything in the past. They apparently lost the rights to the WB library, but I hope they’ll get them again one day.

-Switzerland

RSI La 1: classic WB and MGM shorts every weekend on a dedicated block. They have almost the whole library and no censorship at all, but they apparently buy only a few shorts at time and re air them. Probably the best source in Europe.

-France

Boomerang: only source for classics in France apparently. They have good variety (even though it got worse) but the censorship kinda ruined everything.

-Poland

Puls 2: they don’t have them in the schedule right now, but they pop up very often. They air Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry. They have a very good variety of cartoons from the a.a.p. package, but no English track.

-Slovakia

Markiza: I didn’t know about this until a while ago. This channel is fully owned by WB, but way better than any Boomerang. They have no censorship and an huge variety compared to Italia 1. Very recommended.

-Brazil

SBT: they have a saturday block. No theatricals right now, but they usually show up very often. They aired MGM, WB, Walter Lantz and even Disney shorts.

Tooncast: the best channel. Ever. Period. :D

Out of all those, the only channels I've only been able to catch is Boomerang and Tooncast. However, the latter channel is far better variety-wise. Unfortunately, I'm not always home to catch the WB shorts, but I am for the Popeye ones. Tooncast is the best channel ever, though.

Also, I don't want to get off-topic, but @Cool_Cat do you have a schedule for Markiza when WB shorts do play?

Cool_Cat

I forgot. There’s a channel in Colombia called CityTV which airs ANYTHING, including Which is Witch.

@DVDLooney The Markiza schedule is public. I do not have a satellite dish pointed on it though, I’ll have to install a dual feed (the channel should be free to view). By the way do you really have Tooncast? I know you can reach certain feeds from satellite if you live in the US.

Markus Nelis

Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland: Boomerang and Cartoon Network. They air a lot of classics at nights. Unfortunately not during daytime, but better than nothing.

LooneyTuney18

France :
* Boomerang : on top of what Cool_Cat said, it currently airs LT and T&J shorts everyday in the evening
* Disney Cinéma : often airs some classic Disney shorts (twice or three times per week), especially at night. They used to air on Disney Channel instead

BattleForBFDIFan4

BUMP!

There used to be classical (at least the theatrical shorts) airing on channel 19 until they decided to take it off air at the end of June in favor of their over-aired live-action original programming. Also, Boomerang sometimes airs the Tom And Jerry theatrical shorts on and off.

Mr Chilean

Argentina:
-There was a "Catholic" cable TV station named "Nueva Imagen TV" (in the 2000s was only avaliable on local cable operators in Buenos Aires, but in the 2010 was avaliable nationwide thru Cablevisión, but now it have a streaming signal to the world), but only airs "Top Cat" and "The Porky Pig Show" (only colorized B&W WB shorts starring Porky Pig). Only airs everyday from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM (Buenos Aires time), with repeats at 6:00PM to 7:00PM (Buenos Aires time).

LooneyTuney18

Here in France, France 3 began airing classic LT shorts every Sunday morning in January I think. They stopped around March but resumed in April. Their rotation is made up of HD-remastered shorts from the Golden, Super Stars and Platinum collections, all with the new French dubs from 1997 and on. They even aired shorts with lesser known characters like Cat Feud or Cheese It the Cat but unfortunately I can't record anything properly :(

Also Boomerang France stopped airing any classics since last July unfortunately. And I'm not sure about Disney Cinéma.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
It probably doesn't count, but there are a few cartoons from the 60s, 70s and 80s on Flemish and Dutch TV right now:

On Ketnet:
-The Smurfs (1981-1990)

On Studio 100 TV:
-Nils Holgersson (1980-1981)

On Pebble TV:
-Professor Balthazar (1967-1978)
-Wicky the Viking (1972-1974)
-Sinbad the Sailor (1975-1976)
-Nils Holgersson (1980-1981)
-Mrs. Pepper-Pot (1983-1984)
-The Snorks (1984-1989)
-Seabert (1985)
-The Bluffers (1986)
-Foofur (1986-1988)
-Ox Tales (1987-1989)
-Ovide and the Gang (1987-1989)
-Wowser (1988-1989)
-Alfred J. Kwak (1989-1991)

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
In Portugal:

Nothing on linear TV. A stark contrast from what we had in 2011 when Boomerang still showed classic cartoons, Disney Cinemagic had its runs of Disney theatricals but you had to pay for it to watch, and nothing else I can think of.

Technically they air old Tom and Jerry on Super RTL but that doesn't count as it's in German.

Rrr

That's me!
In Denmark? Let’s see…
There’s currently the 1 hour block on DR1, Disney Sjov, every Friday 7 pm (technically the Danish version of the Disney Afternoon, est. since the 1990’es, but originally on a different timeslot). Current schedule is: The Lion Guard - classic cartoon- Darkwing Duck- classic cartoon. A bit weird schedule tbh, but it differs, a few months ago it was Chip’n Dale Rescue Rangers and Adventures of the Gummi Bears. Other than that I believe Boomerang Scandinavia still airs some old Tom and Jerry shorts in the mornings, but maybe not anymore. DC Scandinavia doesn’t air any classic cartoons at the moment (haven’t done so since 2016/2017?) and I guess that’s that. I don’t have much time rn so I can’t tell much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

youtube Nickelodeon uploaded Young Dylan - Natural Beauty episode

youtube NickRewind streaming currently: iCarly - iGoodbye
Damn! A lot of exiting Nintendo E3 announcement today.
"Atlantis: The Lost Empire" is 20 years old today.
although i'm disappointed there wasn't an update on Metroid Prime 4. But a sequel to Metroid Fushion is coming.

Maybe it's time for me to get back with Nintendo after 11-12 years
At 18:00 CET, the Euro 2020 match between Hungary and Portugal will begin, and I'll watch it. I designed a special avatar for it in the morning.

I will revert to the "lovely" avatar tomorrow.

Featured Posts