Class action suit against movie reviews.

Calhoun07

It's Me
I can't remember who the major studio is that is being targeted, but I read yesterday in the latest edition of Video Store magazine that there is a class action suit being filed against a movie company for the fake reviews they put on their cover boxes. I thought that was just so stupid. I guess those people aren't only swayed by reviewers when it comes to choosing movies, but are even swayed by the movie reviews blurbs on cover boxes. Honestly, can't anybody take responsibility for their selves?

At the store I work at, we used to guarantee that you would love your favorites or you would get your next rental free. I honestly hated that policy and would wince when I had to give out free rentals to some dumb@$$ who rented an obviously BAD movie (and you can't expect me to believe they looked at that cover box and thought it would be good, they just wanted a free rental). I believe people should be responsible for what they watch, they shouldn't be able to take it back to the store and expect anything in return if they don't like it. We now have a similar policy to promote DVDs and I had somebody bring back Nurse Betty and say they didn't like it. Nurse Betty! Either he was lying or he was just a loser, that's a great movie! Ok, enough on that.

All these class action suits do nothing but line the pockets of lawyers. The article said that 20million will be spent in lawyers fees (WHO IS PAYING THIS on both sides????) and the result, if successful, is that the people involved, the customers, will all get 50¢ off coupons on their purchase for product from that movie company. Big whoop.

N

NewMaxFranklin

Blurbs on boxes.

I am often swayed by the critic blurbs on movie boxes. The box for "Dark City" had a Rodger Ebert quote in which he called it the best film of 1998. I must admit that made me take notice. I looked at the back of the box and it said the Director, Alex Proyas, had directed "The Crow." I t also had a commentary track by Ebert. I thoght, "Wow, If he did a commentary trck he must reall like this movie." So I bought it. And I do like it. But I wouldn't have given it a second glance if not for the blurb.

Blurbs also help me avoid bad choices. If the only blurb on the box is from some obscure fanboy of a critic, in some one-horse-town; I know the movie has to be crap. "That's the best they could do, 'Dave' from 'MovieGuy.com,' says 'it's a blast' please."

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Originally posted by calhoun07
All these class action suits do nothing but line the pockets of lawyers. The article said that 20million will be spent in lawyers fees (WHO IS PAYING THIS on both sides????) and the result, if successful, is that the people involved, the customers, will all get 50¢ off coupons on their purchase for product from that movie company. Big whoop.

It would be worth it if the lawyers also got paid in 50 cent coupons. I'd pay just to see the dump truck pull up and drop 40 million little pieces of paper on their front lawns.

The Mad Hatter

Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?
A co-worker of mine says that Roger Ebert has challenged his readers to actually show him a column or TV segment called "60 Second Preview." Apparently, the quotes from that column/TV bit are always favorable, and always attached to bad movies. He's convinced the thing doesn't exist.

Vigo Sprax

The company was Sony, who owns Columbia.

I agree the blurbs are stupid, why would they even bother when its possible to find some guy who will give the same exact blurb as long as you let him see the movie for free?

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
"Junket whores"

Yeah, this is a PG forum, but that's what they're calling them even in family newspapers.

Originally posted by Vigo Sprax
I agree the blurbs are stupid, why would they even bother when its possible to find some guy who will give the same exact blurb as long as you let him see the movie for free?

Have you heard the latest? You know those ads that feature "real" audiences raving about how fantastic movie X is? One studio (I don't think it was Columbia, but another one) has admitted to hiring actors and using its own PR people in some of those ads.

Calhoun07

It's Me
Re: "Junket whores"

Originally posted by Maxie Zeus
Yeah, this is a PG forum, but that's what they're calling them even in family newspapers.

Have you heard the latest? You know those ads that feature "real" audiences raving about how fantastic movie X is? One studio (I don't think it was Columbia, but another one) has admitted to hiring actors and using its own PR people in some of those ads.

They hire actors? Yeah, there's a bulletin! I thought it was a given that those people were being PAID to say those things. I guess some people are more gullible than others. To think people believe what they see on TV is laughable. I think the wrong people are being sued!

Vigo Sprax

Re: "Junket whores"

Originally posted by Maxie Zeus

That was Columbia too...and it was for The Patriot.

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Originally posted by Nightwing
Yeah, both the newspaper reviews and the actors playing movie goers thing were both Sony's evil doing. Grrr! lol.

Really?! Geez, I didn't think one studio could be so stupid and sleazy, that it would take the combined efforts of several to fall to this level. . . .

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts