Chuck Dixon on Homosexuality in Comics

Cyber E.

From Mr. Dixon's webpage

"I don't want to expect to be able to shield my kids from the subject of homosexuality as the media seems intent on bringing into my home and nothing short of cutting the electricity and boarding the windows will stop it. But I DON'T want my kids reading about it in comics. I don't want Judd Winnick or Grant Morrison or the nimrod who wrote this 'Rawhide Kid' comic informing my kids about the many facets and lifestyle choices out there in the world. I'd like to be the one to talk to them about it when they're older and I feel the time is right. I especially object to them using characters familiar to my kids to present this worldview. Could you please leave the Beast and Green Lantern alone?"

Let's not turn this into a flame thread but what are you thoughts on this statement and the Homosexual Factor in comic books?

Note : Thanks to Michael Eidson, Member of News-A-Rama for the link and topic inspiration

Zechs

Rabbit in a box
I don't see anything wrong with it at all. It exsist so I think it should be in comics. You can't sheild your kids fro everything forever. If the he's that pairond he should lock his kids up in a rubber room and throw away the key.That way they won't ever see anythng bad ,granted they wouldn't see anything good but hey at least they wouldn't see anything he thinks is wrong. I read some manga that have a llittle shounen- ai in them and it dosen't bother me at all, it's a part of life that you have to deal with weither you like it or not ,or you could just go live in a cave because that's the only way you'll avoid it. I think it's wonderful to see homosexuality in comics because so many peopel treat homosexuality as this horrible nasty pice os garbage that must be wiped of the face of the earth. I don't agree with it but I don't hate it either. Homosexuality in comics may help ease the tesion if we can show people that homosexuals aren't nasty horrible monsters some peole think they are. It can show them that homosexuals are people too and not freaks.

Kryten

I've been Pony'd
What do I think? I think I've bought my last Dixon comic.

kid_flash

Speedy Teen
Coupla words of advice for Mr. Dixon...

1) Your time is over, stop writing comics (sorry, but if I actually were to advise Dixon, I'd tell him that).

2) Don't want 'em reading about it in comics before you talk to them? Well, then...talk to them. Then they can read their comics and you don't have to whine on message boards. Ta-da!

3) It's bombarding your home already. Love it.

4) With all the wacky crap in NEW X-MEN, the thing you're MOST concerned about is homosexuality? Wow.

My own opinion is that if it strengthens a comic or character, go for it. Don't throw homosexuality in just to make it all seem like you're open to all walks of life, or to push the envelope. But if it's truly what's right, do it.

The Flash

Fastest Man Alive
icon14.gif
All's I have to say is good for Chuck.

Storm

It's nice that Dixon wants to be a good parents but he can't try to control writers to write certain stories. If you dn't want your kids to read comics because they have gay issues then don't let them. Comics is your lifestyle not theirs. It's a new age people we should get over the "gay" issue and just live in peace. If you don't want your kids knowing about gay lifestyle then thats cool but you can't protect your children forever. Well that's my 2 cents. Like 'The Vemon' said lets not make this into a flame war or a 'bash Mr. Dixon' thread.

Rand

The Detective
I'm surprised at Dixon

Then again... as a writer, he's allowed his opinion. If you're looking for a 'normal' world where homosexuality exists... don't read his titles. Otherwise, read his stuff for a rocking good time with John Woo-esque action and so on.

If an editor said something like this, I'd be much more worried. As it is, I mean... *shrugs* What does it matter? It's like the president saying that he likes one brand of cereal over another. Endorsement? Maybe. But not much else.

kid_flash

Speedy Teen
My thing is that if someone puts their views in a public forum, anyone can dispute 'em. In the end, maybe it doesn't matter, and really I don't hold Dixon's views on social issues above or below anyone else in the world, but the issue was presented so what the hey :D

Rand

The Detective
Sorry. I suppose I should have specificied...

I was speaking more to Kryten than you ;)

It seems sad... well, a shame, really, that you would drop someone's books because of their personal opinion. Especially if you're enjoying it.

Of course, that's the whole point beyond boycotting (I guess), but it's not like he has a thing against homosexuality, just it being portrayed in comics. I'm sure he'd sing a different tune if it was portrayed in novels, late night TV shows, whatever.

Chuck Dixon is still doing strong work. Read <I>Batgirl: Year One</I>? Do so! It's great. I'm not such a big Barbara Gordon/Batgirl fan, either, I'm more of a Babs/Oracle one, but hey, the writing is good, the art is cute, so... what do I care about his personal views?

sulimo

Re: Sorry. I suppose I should have specificied...

Originally posted by Rand
Chuck Dixon is still doing strong work. Read <I>Batgirl: Year One</I>? Do so! It's great. I'm not such a big Barbara Gordon/Batgirl fan, either, I'm more of a Babs/Oracle one, but hey, the writing is good, the art is cute, so... what do I care about his personal views?

Plus, Way of the Rat is DAMN GOOD. And all indications are that Brath will be excellent also.

Storm

I agree Dixon is a great writer but I just think the way he presented himself with this issue was umm... what's the word.... tacky.

sulimo

Originally posted by The Flash
icon14.gif
All's I have to say is good for Chuck.

I have to say retconning characters, making 'em gay where there's been previously little or no evidence of this, bugs me. I certainly don't have any problems with anyone making a whole slew of new characters who are gay though.

RockItShipper

Master of Flying Guillotine
If you don't want to read about something, don't waste money on it. I know I'm going to make sure Dixon's name isn't on any future comic purchases. If you don't like, why buy? It's my right as a consumer.

Kryten

I've been Pony'd
Re: Sorry. I suppose I should have specificied...

Originally posted by Rand

It seems sad... well, a shame, really, that you would drop someone's books because of their personal opinion. Especially if you're enjoying it.

But I don't. I think he happens to be a fair-to-mediocre writer to begin with. This is just the final nail in the coffin for me.

I mean... let's take what he said, replace "homosexuals" with "Black People", "Grant Morrison" with "Christopher Priest", and "Rawhide Kid" with "The Truth". And then tell me why I should be giving money to a bigot.

HelloKittyKat

Re: Re: Sorry. I suppose I should have specificied...

Originally posted by Kryten
I mean... let's take what he said, replace "homosexuals" with "Black People", "Grant Morrison" with "Christopher Priest", and "Rawhide Kid" with "The Truth". And then tell me why I should be giving money to a bigot.

Umm, if you did that, Dixon would be talking about how he doesn't want to read about race relations in comics. It's a bad comparison.

Cyber E.

Why does everyone call me 'Vemon'?

I have to agree with Mr. Dixon. I have a personal problem with homosexuals (It is against my religion, I believe people can make any decision they want in their lives but I don't like it. Mr. Dixon's reasons might also be the same as mine) and I don't think they people need to right such characters in. Having them is fine, it sort of gives the book a 'realastic' look but don't make it a major character and don't make a big deal out of it. And don't make old characters homosexual because it isn't right.

I won't stop reading someones books because of their personal opinions, as long as it does not affect the storyline/plot of my Comics and keeps them on the good side. I like to read comics with a real look on life but I read superhero comics to expand out of the real-world, not see anyother version of the one I am stuck in.

My Two Cents

-aJb

Storm

Re: Why does everyone call me 'Vemon'?

Originally posted by The Venom
I have to agree with Mr. Dixon. I have a personal problem with homosexuals (It is against my religion, I believe people can make any decision they want in their lives but I don't like it. Mr. Dixon's reasons might also be the same as mine) and I don't think they people need to right such characters in. Having them is fine, it sort of gives the book a 'realastic' look but don't make it a major character and don't make a big deal out of it. And don't make old characters homosexual because it isn't right.

You must be catholic right? I'm catholic too. I keep a strong faith with God but I just can't have a "personal" problem with gays in the media cause they don't effect me personally. Now how do gays effect you personally? Are they robbing your house? Did they kidnap your mom? Also I know that alot of catholics say "It's aganist are regilon" "The bible said so" Well I may get stoned for saying this but how can we be sure? I know God didn't say anything about it being a sin so I have to hear it from God himself/herself, not just read it in book. Yes the bible is the key to foundation but on topics like this I have to hear it from God. If being gay was a sin why are some of God's children gay then? They were born gay so basically God had to make them gay. Why can't a writer write about a gay character and why can't they be the main character? I know Rawwhilde Kid is a poor example but there could be a strong gay character in comics in the next decade or so. I'm not trying to bash your opinion I'm just trying to understand it. Through your post you're giving me an image of yourself that I know your not. Explain your comment more. Your just giving me that gays shouldn't be major comic characters and that it's aganist your religon. Anyway sorry folks for getting off topic here. Let just continue talking about this topic in a mature matter.

Cyber E.

Debating, Exxxxxxcellent

Actually, I am not Catholic (I don't really want to post what my religion is exactly). I dislike someone being gay because not only do I believe in the words of the Bible (Religion is based on Faith, if you don't have faith you don't have a Religion) but I belueve that it is morally wrong. No, a homosexual did not rob my house and 'steal' my mom (Dude, what the...), I could have a gay friend if I liked that person and belived we could have a friendly relationship but I would still dislike the fact that they are gay.

People are not 'born gay', they choose to be gay in their lifetime. As for why are some of God's children gay I really can't answer that for you. I would not like a major character to be homosexual in a Comic Book because not of their powers or if they save lifes but because sooner or later they go into that characters life and we all know what happens later on. They can have major characters gay, I just won't like the fact that they had to do it. For a new character it is different because that is the way the person is but in an older character they make it so that is how the character becomes.

I just believe that being Homosexual's in comics start to change the look,way and feel of the book. Some how and someway it is going to interfer with my reading and I don't like that.

Again, My Two Cents (Please, no one take this too serious)

-aJb

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts