Characters You Thought Were Voiced By Someone Else

disman00911

Has this topic ever been discussed? It's about cartoon characters, puppets, or video game characters you thought was voiced by one voice actor but was actually voiced by someone else. I'll give a few examples:

When I was younger, I thought that Charlie Adler instead of John Kassir was the voice of the Crypt Keeper in "Tales from the Crypt" (both the live action and animated versions). In one episode of "Tiny Toons" which parodies "Tales From the Crypt", Buster Bunny does a dead-on impression of the Crypt Keeper. More ironic was that Kassir took over the role of Buster during the last few episodes (and the two specials that came afterwards) after Adler left the show in protest of not getting a role in "Animaniacs."

For some strange reason, I thought that Tom Kenny instead of Eddie Deezen voiced Mandark in "Dexter's Lab".

Also, I always thought that June Foray voiced Smurfette instead of Lucille Bliss in the 80s Smurfs cartoon.

In the Quick Draw McGraw cartoons in the early 60s, I thought Mel Blanc voiced Baba Looie (McGraw's sidekick) instead of Daws Butler.

Any other examples?

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I have two examples:

1. I originally thought that Larry Moss (a one shot character on Vampirina) was voiced by Jim Cummings given how he sounded similar to Ray the firefly from The Princess And The Frog. In actuality, he was voiced by Bill Farmer. Listening closer, he does sound similar to Hop Pop from Amphibia, a character he voiced.

2. In Barbie: Big City, Big Dreams, I thought that Emmy's dad (credited only as Mr. Miller) was voiced by Steve Blum. He had that smug confidence that was reminiscent of some of Steve's roles (like Makucha from The Lion Guard or Amon from Legend Of Korra). In actuality, he was voiced by someone I hadn't heard of (Joshua Tomar).

cheril59

And I thought Jim Cummings was Santa on The Class of 3000 Christmas Special, when it was actually Lil John.

Asa

Whenever I hear Uncle Grandpa’s voice, it has me thinking he was performed by Bill Fagerbakke, who voices Patrick on SpongeBob, turns out it’s actually Pete Browngardt, the shows creator, that does the voice.

Vuxovich

1. Originally, I thought that Rob Paulsen voiced Johnny Bravo as opposed to Jeff Bennett.
2. I also thought that Kurtwood Smith voiced Hannibal Roy Bean in Xiaolin Showdown as opposed to Tom Kenny.

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
In Persona 5, I thought Morgana was voiced by Colleen O'Shaughnessy because it sounded like her Tails voice. In actuality, it was Cassandra Lee Morris.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
At one point, I thought the Futurama character Zapp Brannigan was voiced by Phil Hartman before discovering that he was killed by his wife months prior to the series premiere and that Billy West voiced him instead by emulating Hartman's voice, which is interesting as the character was written for the late actor.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I always thought Zoidberg was voice by Maurice La Marche. I was surprised when I got the DVDs learning it was Billy West.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
1. I thought the character of Pandora from Barbie: It Takes Two was voiced by Kari Wahlgren. She sounded like a mix of two characters she voiced before, Emma Frost from Wolverine And The X Men and Mrs. Carmichael (Leni's boss) on The Loud House. She was instead by Sarah H. Fairbrook (who doesn't have a lot of acting credits).

2. I once thought Phil Donut from Action Pack was voiced by John DiMaggio given how he basically sounded like Aquaman if he were a baker instead of a superhero. He was instead voiced by Jason Hightower.

Asa

I thought 2B of Nier Automata was voiced by Faye Mata of Miraculous Ladybug fame (her English voice sounds identical to that of Kagami). She's actually played by Alix Kubdel's Dubbing Brothers actress, Kira Buckland.

For the Fire Emblem series, it looks like Caeda is voiced by Cristina Vee (who voices Marinette/Ladybug as well as Shantae). She was actually played by Cherami Leigh in Heroes and Warriors (Leigh does voice Trixx the fox as well as Ella and Etta). I sometimes think Caeda sounds like Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures episode "A Dreamhouse Puppy Tale" had the family puppies talking in Chelsea's story. I once thought that DJ (Skipper's puppy) was voiced by Christian J. Simone since he sounded like a more serious version of Freddy by TOTS. He was instead voiced by AJ Hudson.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
I thought Pete, Molly's dad, from The Ghost and Molly McGee was voiced by H. Jon Benjamin. But nope, he's voiced by Jordan Klepper.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
If any of you remember the Canadian series World Of Quest, the voice of its title character was a dead ringer for Patrick Warburton....yet somehow wasn't.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
The guy singing the Alligator King song from Sesame Street sounds so much like Jack Sheldon (the Schoolhouse Rock guy) that for the longest time, I thought it was Sheldon.

So did others; Old webpages will misattribute the song to Sheldon.

Wil Tha Godsson

THE LAST MAJOR
Decades ago, I thought Jabberjaw was voiced by Charlie Callas.
I once thought Commander Stargazer was voiced by Adolph Caesar.
I also once thought Marshal BraveStarr was voiced by Ed Gilbert.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The Firebuds episode "The Getaway Car That Got Away" has the characters Throttle and Louie Lam voiced by Nat Faxon and Sean Kenin. Based on how they sounded (as Barney Rubble and Rocksteady), I once thought they were voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson and Fred Tatasciore.

TEOL85

Everything voices by Mike Reynolds being as also Everything by Michael McConnohie as well as I always thought and still think now that they are actually the same raspy voice guy.

TEOL85

My Michael thing is a bit different to that though they both have the same name I think it is an alias but others think they are separate people as they still list the works as 2 different people on sights not recognizing they are the same man In feel and thinking I'm right about it all you are wrong all the time to that extent of it.

wiley207

I often get Candi Milo and Kari Wahlgren’s voices mixed up. Particularly when Candi does a nasally sounding voice, I always assume it’s Kari doing the voice.
I remember I initially thought that Flea in "Mucha Lucha" was voiced by Cree Summer, as it sounded kind of similar to one of her voices but a little "crazier", until I found out that it was Candi Milo.
I also remember thinking that Crash Nebula disguised as an old woman in the Fairly OddParents Halloween episode "Scary Godparents" sounded a lot like Tress MacNeille (i.e. her Agnes Skinner voice, or her Grandpa Pookie from "Hey Arnold"), though it was actually Susan Blakeslee.
My brother also used to think that Charlie Adler did Pal's barking and other vocal effects in "Arthur!"

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts