Characters You Didn't Even Knew Were Disliked

Latest News

Feb 19, 2017
Ratings
Hi friends! When I read the post about Steven Worth getting angry with others that didn't liked his then-new Boo boo and Yogi cartoon, I learned that apparently some people hate Yakky Doodle, I didn´t occurred to me that someone would hate Yakky so much to want to have him beaten up, I throught most people don't even know or remember who Yakky is, or even know he is a duck by the name alone. He is just a baby duckling with a voice similar to Donald Duck, it says some hate him for his voice, I suppose those people must dislike Donald too, because they sound almost identical. In any case, Quacker from Tom & Jerry was more of a nuisance, Yakky usually just minded his own business.

Also its sugested people don't like Droopy either, that's even more baffling, I can't even wrap my head about that, also a cartoon about Droopy getting trashed would be redundant and pointless. Aren't most of his cartoons about his antagonists, like the Wolf or Spike the Bulldog, kicking him out of the way, smashing doors at him, making plans to get rid of him, etc? What would a cartoon about Droopy getting beated be like? Spike punching Droopy and him just saying ¨Ouh¨ over and over with his monotone voice (that would be kinda funny now that I think about it, but would get old very fast)

So... Which characters do you get surprised to know they are disliked?

Gear3dGryph0n

Aug 20, 2014
Ratings
326 1
Damnation Alley
Fans can be so unnecessarily emotional and irrational and take their cartoons too seriously. I can understand being annoyed by a character, especially from a show you like, but some people take stuff too far.

I think one character I could put for this would be Sally Acorn from the Sonic franchise. I wasn't aware of the dislike for this character until I started looking into that whole DeviantArt culture surrounding the series. I wasn't too steeped in why she was so disliked by a section of the fandom; I assume many of them are fans of Amy or dislike the continuity of the TV and comics series that she's from. I can understand some of the reasons but as is typical I just can't stand the idea of a person making a screed against her or any other fictional character who isn't personally attacking anyone.

Rabbitearsblog

Jul 6, 2011
Ratings
257 6
United States
Even though these examples are already well known at this point, I didn't know people hated Scrappy Doo and Jerry from Tom and Jerry. I personally never hated Scrappy Doo. He wasn't my favorite character, but I didn't think he was as bad as people made him out to be. I can understand that he can be a little annoying in the franchise, but I personally didn't think he was the worst character to show up out of that franchise.

I was also surprised about the Jerry hatedom that happened with Tom and Jerry. I can understand if he's hated because of how he treated Tom and I will admit that there were times that I think that Jerry went a little too far in his antics against Tom, but I never really hated him either and I was surprised that there was a lot people hating Jerry.

Another character that I was surprised was hated on was Lola Bunny from Space Jam. I didn't know that some people hated her because they see her as just a Mary Sue with fanservice and even her incarnation in "The Looney Tunes Show" was a bit of a love or hate type of character.

EJLD4Ever

Animation Student
Mar 29, 2008
Ratings
Seattle Area, WA
For me, it was Codename: Kids Next Door's Lizzie Devine. She was numbuh 1's girlfriend, and a lot of people think she is bossy, shrill-voiced, and doesn't deserve him either due to her personality or looks (she's quite a round girl).

I, on the other hand liked Lizzie as a character, and when I finally worked up the courage to visit a KND fan forum (about 8 months after the show ended, tbh), I was relatively oblivious to her unpopularity among fans, and felt more sorry for her than angry at her.

I also felt a spiritual connection between her and a famous musician, but that's another story...

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,758 9
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
I will never understand the hatred for Blythe Baxter from LPS (2012) - ever. She was the BEST character on that show for me, honestly. Without her and her development over time, this show would be next-to-nothing for me.

And yet, the show's absolute worst characters (those Biskit Idiots) are considered the best? I wonder what show these people were watching.

Dantheman

Dec 1, 2005
Ratings
Michigan USA
I, too, didn't ever get the Scrappy-Doo hate, as I was coming into watching Saturday Morning cartoons when he came on, and the original Scooby-Doo cartoons aired in weekday afternoon syndication, so Scooby-Doo cartoons without Scrappy-Doo were an anomaly to my young eyes.

I think the author of a 100 worst moments in television history I read put it best, that the whole Scrappy-Doo hatedom jumped the shark when he was made to be the bad guy in the first live-action Scooby-Doo movie.

I.R. Shokew

Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,758 9
Gotta be honest - I understand why people wouldn't like Clarence (MC or the show itself), but calling him exceptionally stupid (I can't use the R-word) just feels like absolute reaching for something to complain about, IMHO. Clarence did dumb things, but WAS NEVER that level of well... The R-word. I really do think 4/8/whatever-chan likes to oversell said word far too much that it's lost all meaning for people who actually are that, unfortunately, which is pretty sad in itself.

I acknowledge the Craig of the Creek is a better show, but I will stop having respect for Clarence (despite my criticisms - I consider it a Mid High Tier show - great enough, but flawed in some reasonable ways.), to put things more simply - even if he wasn't that bright. I could say the same for Ed (EEnE), too.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018
Ratings
Gotta be honest - I understand why people wouldn't like Clarence (MC or the show itself), but calling him exceptionally stupid (I can't use the R-word) just feels like absolute reaching for something to complain about, IMHO.
I strongly agree. I really hate when people call Clarence a dumb kid... I think him being how he is really reflects how it feels to be a kid who's growing up. I believe that's the spirit of the show itself, basically the childhood of Clarence.

Getting back on topic, I have a feeling some people don't like Uncle Grandpa? I've seen some people don't like him becuase of the same reasons they don't like Clarence.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
1,295 6
In A House
I never knew people hated Brainy from Hey Arnold until I saw him on the Scrappy list on TV Tropes. Back when I watched Nick more, I found him spying Helga funny. My brother had a similar opinion.

I also agree with Scrappy. He’s hardly my favorite thing of the franchise, but I hardly hate him. I never heard of the hate until I got into message boards like these.

Last edited:

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
May 24, 2001
Ratings
I can't remember.
And yet, the show's absolute worst characters (those Biskit Idiots) are considered the best? I wonder what show these people were watching.
This may well be the first time I've ever encountered this opinion. People like the Biskits? More than the pets? Who's been saying this?

And, tbh, Bonnie on "Kim Possible" is far worse - as a character and a person - than Whittany and Brittany ever were.

I.R. Shokew

Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,758 9
This may well be the first time I've ever encountered this opinion. People like the Biskits? More than the pets? Who's been saying this?

And, tbh, Bonnie on "Kim Possible" is far worse - as a character and a person - than Whittany and Brittany ever were.
Not here, thankfully. That's all I gotta say about that, honestly.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I never understood the immense hate for Scrappy Doo. I never had much of a problem with him when I was little and I thought it was something new to shake up the Scooby Doo formula back then. I don't think I saw much hate for him until either the first live action movie or when I first saw people talking about Scooby Doo online.

I can kind of see why people would use him as a Jumping the Shark kind of moment, if only because bringing in a new younger character in a series usually isn't a good sign creative wise, but I don't know why they still treat him as an infamous black sheep of the Scooby Doo series. He wasn't that bad.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ratings
1,533 12
New York
A lot of people really hate Lila from Hey Arnold! I never hated her, I thought she was just bland and boring.

And I was surprised a lot of people hate Bloo from Foster's Home. Yeah he's a jerk, but he always get the proper punishment for his jerkery. I don't see this much hatred for Mr. Krabs or Eddy (Ed, Edd, & Eddy).

Last edited:

Red Arrow

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,495 66 1
Belgium
ToonZone seems to be the only place where people can't stand the relationship between Ben and Gwen in the original series of Ben 10, and Martin and Diana in Martin Mystery. I see it as a bit of fresh air inbetween the action. I like that a lot more than Spiderman's wanna-be-cool remarks.

I do think Martin Mystery became a bit more cartoony in the second season. The squabbling between the two got a little more over the top in those anime-ish scenes. (Well, it was animated in Japan...) I think the crew changed a lot in season 2, but I still like it.
Gotta be honest - I understand why people wouldn't like Clarence (MC or the show itself), but calling him exceptionally stupid (I can't use the R-word) just feels like absolute reaching for something to complain about, IMHO. Clarence did dumb things, but WAS NEVER that level of well... The R-word. I really do think 4/8/whatever-chan likes to oversell said word far too much that it's lost all meaning for people who actually are that, unfortunately, which is pretty sad in itself.
I strongly agree. I really hate when people call Clarence a dumb kid... I think him being how he is really reflects how it feels to be a kid who's growing up. I believe that's the spirit of the show itself, basically the childhood of Clarence.
I also liked Clarence a lot as a character except in the episode "The Tunnel". Oh, and he wasn't very nice in "A Sumoful Mind" either.

LinusFan303

Welcome, Great Pumpkin
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
920 5
Colorado

I acknowledge the Craig of the Creek is a better show, but I will stop having respect for Clarence (despite my criticisms - I consider it a Mid High Tier show - great enough, but flawed in some reasonable ways.), to put things more simply - even if he wasn't that bright. I could say the same for Ed (EEnE), too.
Surprised people saw him as that , he's more like SpongeBob someone with eternal optimism and a little naive. I wasn't a big watcher of the series but he seemed from what I did watch as just a quirky child with the above things I said.

On Scrappy Doo, I am joining in saying that I was surprised that he was because I didn't have a problem with him when I was younger and really not bothered by him now.

Feb 19, 2017
Ratings
Its nice you liked this thread, those are very good examples.

I agree with @Gear3dGryph0n, fans sometimes get overly mad at cartoon characters, Sally Acorn doesn't deserve the hatred she gets, just because she was less reckless than Sonic, I doubt people would hate Sonic if he had Sally's role, being the group cautious, know-it-all second in command with Sally being the careless one, but the way it is, its easier to dismiss her as a killijoy.

About Jerry Mouse, I think most of the hate came for the idea the writers supposedly expect you to like him more than Tom, the problem with this theory its, there are plenty of times when the animators wink at you that they know that Jerry is a nasty little vermin at times, for that reason there's a bunch of shorts were Tom wins.

The Scrappy hate also surprised me when I learned about it, I suppose in my country he is more liked because those telefilms with him were on TV here quite often.

I'm neutral to Lola, but I think she most be loved in certain cycles if she is included in new proyects that had nothing to do with Space Jam, like she is some sort of important character.

KND fans are kinda unfair with Lizzie, because Numbuh 1 do reciprocrate her feelings and likes her too, unlike other similar couples in cartoons, (like Max and Elmyra en Tiny Toons).

I have never seen Little's Pet Shop, but it would be weird if most fans would prefer the villains over the heroine or the pets, those fans most be confused about the point of the show.

I found Clarence and his friends, likeable, even if there's a while since a watched that show, I knew kids just like Clarence when I was a kid, and they were well liked, even if him isn't the the brightest boy that wouldn't be a reason to dislike him.

I can see why people would dislike Uncle Grandpa, in the other hand, it would be unconfortable to be close to a fella who is so erratic and affectionate when you didn't even knew him before, in real life, but these are just cartoons anyway ;)

Brainy and Lila are too weird cases of fan hatedom, Brainy has too little screentime to deserve being despised, and Lila whole point is to be the nicest girl, a more flawed Lila would negate her whole purpose in the show. It would be like if the red haired girl for whom Charlie Brown obsessed in Peanuts turned out to be worse that Lucy, it would be pointless (but kinda funny in a way :)).

Bloo did became more jerky in the series proper than in the premier, but I think fans saw him similar to Jerry or Tweety, in that you have to like him because he is ¨cute¨ (supposedly), don't taken into account that he is like a child who doesn't know better and gets punished often anyway.

Ben and Gwen, and Martin and Diana, are relationships than ring true to me because I know cousins who act just like that, but maybe they ring a little too much close to home to people who gets tired of cousins/siblings rivarlies in their homes and don't want to see more of that in their cartoons. Martin and Diana relationship reminds me of Sonic and Sally's of that Sonic Saturday Morning show, so I'm not surprised if some people dislike Diana for the same reason some dislike Sally.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Apr 10, 2017
Ratings
New Milford, NJ
While not a case of the fandom and it just being my cousin, I never understood why she hated Courtney Gripling from As Told By Ginger since she always came off as really nice(if somewhat clueless due to the disparity in social status) to her. As others have mentioned, I loved Scooby-Doo when I was a kid watching it with my late MS to HS uncle's and we all liked Scrappy so I was actually really surprised to find out he was as hated as he was. Ditto for Lila from Hey Arnold, but that one I think is more due to shipping than anything else.

Radical

The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!
Nov 7, 2004
Ratings
277 1
Lacey,Washington
Here's a few examples,

Scrappy-Doo - Agreeing with you guys, the hate on poor Scrappy was so annoying and making him a movie villain was awful.I love Scrappy-Doo, but a shame he won't show up in the reboots:(.

Jerry Mouse - Lots of hate on him, I despise him as well next to Tweety/Hector as much as he goes too far attacking/torturing poor Tom, but love it when Tom the Cat gets his wins defeating Jerry at times.

Blythe Baxter - Agreeing with I.R. Shokew, she's the best awesome girl protagonist ever and my favorite next to Pepper Ann, Lor/Tish, Daria, Kim Possible, Lilo, Kat(Kenny the Shark), Bessie, and Star Butterfly:D.

Lizzie/Numbuh 363(Codename: Kids Next Door) - She gets hate, but I love Lizzie, my favorite bully girl villainess as much as I enjoy her nasty jerky character and her Vicky voice, hehehe.
Numbuh 363 the most hatable despicable character ever as much as I despised the character when he first showed up.

Robin/Starfire/Raven/Cyborg/Beast Boy(Teen Titans Go!) - They get lots of hate as much as they're terrible awful unlikable bullies/creeps especially bullying the poor H.I.V.E. at times, both Robin/Starfire/Raven so root for Deathstroke(Slade), Blackfire, and Trigon on malicious villainy:ack:.

Trina(Grojband) - She gets lots of hate, but I love/enjoy her horrible nasty psychotic villainous character next to Vicky, Berry, Suzy(Camp Lakebottom), and Lola Loud:D.

Clarence(Clarence) - Clarence was a great lovable boy protagonist who cares for his friends and has his great funny moments.The best enjoyable new slice-of-life show ever.

Cassandra(Tangled series) - She gets lots of hate due to her terrible unlikable character always hating on poor Eugene, I like her though as much as she has a great character design, I hope she lightens up to like Eugene in Season 2.

Kale/Toppo and the Pride Troopers(except for Jiren)/Ribrianne(Dragonball Super) - The hate on those guys was so irritating worse than the Scrappy-Doo hate as much as they are awesome interesting top strongest fighters.They were my favorite great new fighter characters as much as they have cool abilities/attacks and both Kale, Toppo, and Brianne have sweet character development which I hope to see them in the future.

Oshawott/Max/Dawn's Piplup/Iris/Emolga/Iris's Dragonite/Bianca/Cameron(Pokemon) - I'm surprised they get hated, I like both Max, Bianca, Cameron, and the selfish Emolga who are my favorite characters.
I do despise both Oshawott, Dawn's Piplup, Iris, and her Dragonite though as much as they need a good smashing.

Akira(Lucky Star) - She's nasty/heartless on her split personality from her cute nice side, but I love her, she's hilarious, the best enjoyable villainess character from the Lucky Channel segments.Stephanie Sheh was awesome for the role, hehehe:D.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Stephanie Sheh voicing Izzy Park the same way she does Sailor Moon has me considering the chance of Nazneen Contractor dubbing some "Sailor Moon" episodes I currently dont plan to buy.
Watched the newest Halloween yesterday
I can’t express my unpopular opinions without someone yelling or disagreeing at me why I’m a monster for thinking that way (liking adult animation, SpongeBob’s new episodes are inferior, etc.)
If you have Starz Encore Family (Not Kids & Family, but Family...) 1 hour as of this post, they'll be playing "Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas" and "Sonic Christmas Blast". (3:19pm-4:06pm EST) Both will play again at some point.
I'm at episode 50 of {Batman: TAS ∧ Hey Arnold}.