"Star Trek: Lower Decks" News & Discussion Thread

the greenman

I'm old. Describe to me what a deep cut joke is.
I've mostly only known it in terms of music. Im not so sure it applies to any ol trivia. There was a radio program called Deep Cuts where I live, where they would play songs from artists that never got radio play or you probably never heard.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Freddy

Oh God, that was painfully awful. This seems like really lazy Star Trek parody that just happens to be in continuity. All of these jokes have been done to death and none of the characters seem likeable or like real Starfleet officers. And it's not like you couldn't do a great Star Trek comedy show, since there are plenty of great comedy episodes from the old shows. I saw someone on twitter saying that this looks like a show made by people who think Star Trek and people who like Star Trek are dumb, and I can't help, but to agree.

Also, these character designs are so lazy! Why did the cheap as hell 70's cartoon put more imagination to its aliens than this?

No wonder they already disabled the comments and are hiding the like/dislike ratio.

the greenman

Honestly, I begged Greg Weisman to pitch a series. He basically said one of two things, if they don't pay him to do it, he won't or simply he'd love to. It is just so nerve-racking that the Producers and studio heads are so blinded. Honestly, I'm more in the camp of hoping for the best, even though I really dislike it.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Pooky

Staff member
It's doesn't look awful, just uninspired and generic. If it were called anything else I doubt I'd give at a second thought.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You want a Star Trek project for people who hate Star Trek watch the awful film Generations. Otherwise this show just look unoriginal.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I don't think it's bad - just pretty basic and kinda generic. Though, I really do think the series itself will turn out much better. Other than that, not a great first impression.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't know, maybe I am overly forgiving for this franchise, but I would give it a shot.
Ditto. It will probably be too vulgar, but the premise will probably also make the franchise more well-rounded too. It reminds me a bit of Final Space and that show's great.

The Overlord

Ditto. It will probably be too vulgar, but the premise will probably also make the franchise more well-rounded too. It reminds me a bit of Final Space and that show's great.

We do see a planet blowing up and aliens fleeing from it, perhaps there will be some real drama in this series.

This series is set in 2380, right after Nemesis and 5 years after the Dominion War. We have not seen the Ferengi or the Cardassians in a long time in the main canon, maybe they will show up here. A Bajoran is part of the main cast, maybe we will find out if Bajor joined the Federation or not.

The Overlord

Any guest stars people here want to see? One benefit of animation is you do not have to acknowledge the existence of time, characters who have not appeared in 2 decades can look the same in animation.

I think Quark could be good. He was the most funny character in DS9, IMO. Q was pretty funny too. Both John de Lancie and Armin Shimerman have a lot of voice acting experience as well.

Troy Troodon

Watching this my first thoughts were "... Wasn't this supposed to be a Nickelodeon show... you know, for kids?"

But then a friend of mine showed my the original source then it clicked--

Ah, they're are two animated shows. One obviously for adults and in 2D, and another for Kids which will be 3D.

Last edited:

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
They turned it into a Rick & Morty knockoff. Painfully transparent.
It is created by the co-creator of Solar Opposites who was also one of the earliest and longstanding writers of R&M.
He supervised "Pickle Rick" and briefly showran season 4 right before focusing his attention toward these other shows.

The Overlord

They turned it into a Rick & Morty knockoff. Painfully transparent.

I don't think so, none of the characters seem as psychopathic as Rick is. The only people in the Federation who should a moral compass anywhere close to Rick's are the various corrupt admirals and the higher members of Section 31. Heck, I think you can some jokes about how idyllically the Federation is, yet half of the admirals we meet turn out to be corrupt.

Frankly, I do not mind some goofy Ensigns, it became a bit tiring when everyone in the Federation is presented as some snob who only likes Shakespear and Beethoven. Picard likes those things, but Riker likes Jazz, I can see some of these Ensigns liking silly things, being goofy, but ultimately still be professionals by the end of the day.

Watching this my first thoughts were "... Wasn't this supposed to be a Nickelodeon show... you know, for kids?"

But then a friend of mine showed my the original source then it clicked--

Ah, they're are two animated shows. One obviously for adults and in 2D, and another for Kids which will be 3D.

That is correct. I would be curious if the Nick cartoon will be more dramatic then this show, simply because it be less actively comedic than this show aimed at adults, unless Lower Decks ends up like Final Space, balancing out silly and serious moments.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts