CBS working on new Star Trek cartoon series

Latest News & Videos

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
I would be curious if the Nick cartoon will be more dramatic then this show, simply because it be less actively comedic than this show aimed at adults, unless Lower Decks ends up like Final Space, balancing out silly and serious moments.
Nick is quite capable of making serious cartoons (read: Avatar and Korra). I also would have preferred an anime style for the Nicktoon.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
I don't think so, none of the characters seem as psychopathic as Rick is. The only people in the Federation who should a moral compass anywhere close to Rick's are the various corrupt admirals and the higher members of Section 31. Heck, I think you can some jokes about how idyllically the Federation is, yet half of the admirals we meet turn out to be corrupt.
Some of them definitely look psychotic to me.\

As Linkara said. Parody doesn't work when the thing you're parodying is the thing.

Reactions: Freddy

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
Dang it, it just keeps getting worse. Seriously, like other people have said before me, something can't be both part of the official canon and a parody of the property at the same time. How would someone like her ever been accepted to Starfleet? How did she even get to the academy? If would be one thing if the joke was at least funny, comedy with great jokes can survive a bad story, but that was painfully unfunny.

Also, and this might be just dumb internet rumor so take this with a massive grain of salt, but apparently both Netflix and Amazon have passed on having the international streaming rights for this show. That can't be a good sign.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Dang it, it just keeps getting worse. Seriously, like other people have said before me, something can't be both part of the official canon and a parody of the property at the same time.
Honestly, Star Trek 2009 was very close to just that. Remember alot of tv remakes in film (with the exception of SWAT and Miami Vice) steer toward comedy send ups of the IP. Look at how much TREKKIEness is stuffed in that film.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
Honestly, Star Trek 2009 was very close to just that. Remember alot of tv remakes in film (with the exception of SWAT and Miami Vice) steer toward comedy send ups of the IP. Look at how much TREKKIEness is stuffed in that film.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
And you know what, ST09 was also terrible (not even saying this as a mad trekkie. It was the first thing from the franchise I ever saw and even back then I thought it was awful).

Reactions: Fone Bone

Darkdawn

I Am Here
Jun 12, 2009
Puerto Rico
I think Lower Decks has a lot of potential and hopefully the actual series will come off better than the sneak peeks.

I love the idea behind Beckett Mariner's character. What I don't like (going by the clip above) is the possibility of her simply being a female clone of Rick Sanchez. If that's what she is, then it'll destroy the chances of this being anything other than a lazy, trend-chasing parody of Star Trek.

The very end of the clip (when both of them freak out after she accidentally slices Brad's thigh) gives me hope that she and the series will have more storytelling depth than that. More specifically, I'd like for there to be meaningful consequences for Beckett's antics and for her to evolve as a result of those consequences (while still retaining her fun-loving nature).

Reactions: MegasMilo379

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I think Lower Decks has a lot of potential and hopefully the actual series will come off better than the sneak peeks.

I love the idea behind Beckett Mariner's character. What I don't like (going by the clip above) is the possibility of her simply being a female clone of Rick Sanchez. If that's what she is, then it'll destroy the chances of this being anything other than a lazy, trend-chasing parody of Star Trek.

The very end of the clip (when both of them freak out after she accidentally slices Brad's thigh) gives me hope that she and the series will have more storytelling depth than that. More specifically, I'd like for there to be meaningful consequences for Beckett's antics and for her to evolve as a result of those consequences (while still retaining her fun-loving nature).
The thing is Rick doesn't work for anyone else, no one is around to hold him accountable.

Ensign Beckett Mariner works for Star Fleet, which is supposed to be a professional organization, sure someone like Kirk could bend the rules sometimes, but some acting like Rick in Star Fleet would face a court marshall and be either dishonorably discharged or sent to prison, so having her act that all the time only works in some parody version of Star Fleet.

GrantM

Nov 11, 2001
Glasgow, Scotland
So yeah just saw the first episode........not the worst thing i've ever seen but my god this may as well be the worst Star Trek thing i've ever seen. And i've seen many of Star Trek's worst episodes over the years. Think Discovery and Picard had major issues, they have nothing on this

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Censoring the profanities is contrary to the lack of restrictions on content in this kind of programming that streaming services allow.

Reactions: TheVileOne

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
So yeah just saw the first episode........not the worst thing i've ever seen but my god this may as well be the worst Star Trek thing i've ever seen. And i've seen many of Star Trek's worst episodes over the years. Think Discovery and Picard had major issues, they have nothing on this
I saw it, I thought it was fine. Its a pilot. Its not even close to the worse thing Star Trek has ever put out, IMO. I do not think it's very funny yet, but it has potential.

Censoring the profanities is contrary to the lack of restrictions on content in this kind of programming that streaming services allow.

Maybe they want to censor swearing to sell it to other countries?

Reactions: Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo

orangemo
I saw it, I thought it was fine. Its a pilot. Its not even close to the worse thing Star Trek has ever put out, IMO. I do not think it's very funny yet, but it has potential.

Maybe they want to censor swearing to sell it to other countries?
Star Trek: Lower Decks is already in syndication in Canada on CTV. It airs the same day as CBS All Access. But it's also on cable. Likely why they censored it. @PF9