CBS...to consider airing Nick shows on 2022/2023?

aegisrawks

By claiming their programming targets "teens" Litton is able to run twice as many commercials than they would if they said they were aimed at kids. This also allows them to do in-show advertising that would be prohibited if intended for kids.

Of course, Litton's stuff isn't really aimed at teens either. They only say it is to qualify as E/I programming.

That's just about the scummiest thing I have ever heard in the TV Business. That's it, Litton must be stopped.

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
Maybe this could work, I would love to see a return of Saturday Morning Cartoons, and Nick is a very popular, well known brand. So it only makes sense

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
Here's an idea of what I think the lineup would look like.

8:00am- PAW Patrol

8:30am- Blue's Clues and You!

9:00am- SpongeBob SquarePants

9:30am- The Loud House

10:00am- Rise of the TMNT

10:30am- The Casagrandes

11:00am- It's Pony!

11:30am- Ollie's Pack

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Okay, but we still have to air at least 3 hours of E/I programs(one can be aired on a subchannel, but that’s not guaranteeing CBS has subchannel with E/I programs). I expect a mix of Nick Jr. on CBS, Nick on CBS, and ABC Kids.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
As I mentioned, The Loud House and SpongeBob have enough episodes for local off-network syndication.

I can't see Nick on CBS being a thing again, but I could see CBS Television Distribution syndicating those two. Also, I could see a syndicated package made up of all episodes of the 2003, 2012, and the first season of the 2018 TMNT cartoons (all packaged together because if sold separately, they might end up on different stations in a market which might schedule one against another). Future seasons of Rise of the TMNT would be added to the package in the future as they complete airing.

A non-Nick cartoon I could see being distributed by CTD in off-net syndication is Yu-Gi-Oh!. CTD could acquire the syndication rights from Konami.

If The Casagrandes hits 100 episodes (at the rate of 20 episodes a season, it would reach this mark at the end of its fifth season), I could see that show syndicated to local stations.

PF9

Not if the cord-cutters have their say

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Nobody has sold children's TV in Syndication since DIC gave up in 2009. That market place died. If Cord Cutters with children were running to over the air TV, Qubo would be still airing 24 hours of children's programming and they've have multiple competitors wanting that marketplace. Like when Retro TV had found an audience, Metv, Antenna and others started and aired retro tv (not the channel) shows. Local stations wouldn't have 4pm or 3pm newscasts and still looking for new talk shows.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Nobody has sold children's TV in Syndication since DIC gave up in 2009.
Except for E/I stuff, but whether they're really kids shows is debatable(they're technically aimed towards a teen audience, since kidvid commercial restrictions end at 13 but E/I kidvid shows can aim up to 16 years)

PF9

Not all who watch children's cartoons are in fact, children.

It's just as likely children would watch off-network primetime shows meant for older audiences in syndication.

A number of popular children's cartoons in the past few decades have lasted long enough to reach the 100 episode milestone generally required to put any scripted show into off-network syndication under the current guidelines.

So I want off-network syndicated children's cartoons to be a thing again.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
The last time a U.S. kids show entered local syndication was Star Wars: The Clone Wars in 2012. It largely aired in off-hours and didn't last long. I don't think it's likely anything new tries that again.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I hope CBS does try it again. This could actually work.

Here's the big question, what would more profitable for CBS to show on Sat mornings, Nicktoons or Infomercials?

I think with streaming, Sat morning cartoons are a thing of the past, like VCRs. Kids can watch cartoons whenever they want, why would they wait till Sat morning to do so?

I think this stuff appearing on CBS All Access is far more likely than the CBS channel.

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
Here's the big question, what would more profitable for CBS to show on Sat mornings, Nicktoons or Infomercials?

I think with streaming, Sat morning cartoons are a thing of the past, like VCRs. Kids can watch cartoons whenever they want, why would they wait till Sat morning to do so?

I think this stuff appearing on CBS All Access is far more likely than the CBS channel.

We can't really say anything yet. Besides, there's a chance it could work. Nick is a very popular brand with kids and families. They still do pretty good in the ratings, and they also have a ton of merchandise (seriously, I can't tell you how many times I have walked into a store and seen Nickelodeon Slime kits). On the other hand, places like Netflix and YouTube are slightly more popular with that same audience. However, TV antennas are sort of making a comeback, so it maybe could work for those who don't have cable and want to watch current Nick shows, but don't care for CBS All Access.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts