"Catwoman: Hunted" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The Hollywood Reporter has a first look at a new animated movie, Catwoman: Hunted coming in early 2022. Elizabeth Gillies will voice the title character, and Stephanie Beatriz is Batwoman. Apparently the movie falls under the "DC Animated Movie" branding.

Release Date: February 8, 2022​

Hunted, which is produced in an anime style, picks up with Catwoman as she attempts to steal a priceless jewel. The heist puts her squarely in the crosshairs of both a powerful consortium of villains and the ever-resourceful Interpol as well as Batwoman.
Other stars include Jonathan Banks as Black Mask, Steve Blum as Solomon Grundy, Lauren Cohan as Julia Pennyworth, Keith David as Tobias Whale, Zehra Fazal as Talia al Ghul & Nosferata, Jonathan Frakes as King Faraday & Boss Moxie, Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Barbara Minerva/Cheetah, Kelly Hu as Cheshire, Andrew Kishino as Mr. Yakuza & Domino 6, Eric Lopez as Domino 1, Jacqueline Obradors as La Dama, and Ron Yuan as Doctor Tzin.
Shinsuke Terasawa is directing from a script by Greg Weisman. Ethan Spaulding produces, along with Colin A.B.V. Lewis. Sam Register executive produces.

Comments?

Stay tuned for further updates!

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I have to admit, a solo anime-esque Catwoman feature film with an all-star cast is...really not something I was expecting, to be honest o_O.

I'm kind of surprised Batman isn't in it. I mean, not that he and Catwoman are attached at the hip, but you kind of feel like he'd at least have some role in this. Will Catwoman be flirting with Batwoman :p?

Speaking of, nice to see Batwoman in a starring role in a movie again, I think Stephanie Beatriz will do a good job with Kate. And they're apparently adapting Julia Pennyworth (her animated debut) as her Alfred from the comics, which is neat. Although given Lauren Cohan is white I'm guessing Julia won't be dark-skinned here :confused:?

I'm actually kind of wondering if this is set in the Young Justice universe given Greg Weisman wrote the script and Kelly Hu is playing Cheshire...although nice to have her and Zehra Fazal reprising Talia in this :).

Commander Riker as King Faraday? Neat :D.

I hope Cheetah doesn't job in this :sweat:.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I liked up the filmography of Shinsuke Terasawa, and he's apparently done some anime. The article says anime style, but his credentials make me wonder if it's like straight up anime.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, my first impression was the movie could be similar to the Batman: Ninja anime film from a few years ago. But this seems to be just a "stand-alone" movie within the main DTV movies line. Maybe Batman: Gotham Knight would be a better comparison (even if that was an anthology and tie-in to a live-action movie).

Not a lot to comment on the "first look" photo but it looks fine, and the voice cast sounds solid to me. Interesting that this won't be a Batman story, but Batwoman isn't getting top billing either. Greg Weisman's involvement is also a pretty big plus.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I'm kind of surprised Batman isn't in it. I mean, not that he and Catwoman are attached at the hip, but you kind of feel like he'd at least have some role in this.

Eh I'm glad they don't feel the need to have Batman in this because quite frankly DC is already pushing way too many Batman/Superman/Justice League animated films. Like I get they are the most popular brands but seriously I'm all in favor for DC deciding to do something else and share the focus around to various other heroes even ones just associated to the Bat canon. So getting a feature on Catwoman is fine especially since Selina's honestly due for a full on focus in some form. Like seriously though she's been in shorts and obviously guested in various movies and shows over the years the only other Catwoman feature film of any kind was the Halle Berry one... something's needed to come around for ages to be another example of a Catwoman movie that you know actually features the character properly.

Frontier

Staff member
Eh I'm glad they don't feel the need to have Batman in this because quite frankly DC is already pushing way too many Batman/Superman/Justice League animated films. Like I get they are the most popular brands but seriously I'm all in favor for DC deciding to do something else and share the focus around to various other heroes even ones just associated to the Bat canon. So getting a feature on Catwoman is fine especially since Selina's honestly due for a full on focus in some form. Like seriously though she's been in shorts and obviously guested in various movies and shows over the years the only other Catwoman feature film of any kind was the Halle Berry one... something's needed to come around for ages to be another example of a Catwoman movie that you know actually features the character properly.
I guess silver lining is it's a movie starring Batman adjacent characters but doesn't actually have Batman in it :p.

Maybe this is karma for all those Batman animated films that never used Selina...although that's been improving over the past few years :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Cool! Really happy to finally see a Catwoman DTV. What a killer cast and unexpected characters.

Nosferata from the 90s Superboy comics?! Domino I think were German agents from the Blackhawk comics. La Dama from the current Blue Beetle comics. Dr. Tzin from the 60s Batman comics. The only eye roll was Black Mask - he seems overused in live action and animation.

Yeah, my first impression was the movie could be similar to the Batman: Ninja anime film from a few years ago. But this seems to be just a "stand-alone" movie within the main DTV movies line. Maybe Batman: Gotham Knight would be a better comparison (even if that was an anthology and tie-in to a live-action movie).
Yes, the bottom of the THR article calls it part of the DC Animated Movie branding (i.e. Batman Ninja, Batman vs TMNT, TTG vs TT, Deathstroke). You can see that branding on the covers of those movies I mentioned. And I bet this is the secret project Weisman mentioned on the AMA with Vietti on January 24, 2019. So for it to have a 3 year lead time, that synchs with how much time Ninja took to make as well and the anime component. So I think it's very likely this is the non-DC Universe slate. First time I think I saw an article formally use the DC Animated Movie branding, too.

Last edited:

Greg91

Reporter
I'm happy to be constantly surprised by DC's animated movie line-up nowadays. The first Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, Justice Society movies, and now an anime Catwoman movie.

I remember just a few years ago when Batman and the Justice League dominated the line-up.

The characters, animation style and Greg Weisman's involvement definitely excite me.

EmaHalJordan

I don't like the ads for upcoming animated movies. Hopefully they announce the rumored SINESTRO CORPS WAR because if not it will be a disappointment in 2022.
I hope this is a movie like Batman Ninja off the main line.

Injustice is not something that makes me happy either, "Justice" if it had been beautiful.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
This is more of a discussion for the DTV movies thread, but even if this Catwoman feature is part of the main movies line, there should still be at least 2 more coming out next year we don't know about yet. Having a movie without Batman and with Catwoman as the focus looks pretty promising to me there will be more surprises.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
This could go either way. In terms of Japanese directed Batman films, I enjoyed Batman Gotham Knight but had a mixed reaction to Batman Ninja.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts