"Catwoman: Hunted" Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

• Purrfect

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 5 55.6%

• **1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• *1/2

• Total voters

Frontier

Staff member
Is she openly bisexual? Is that something Weisman clarified on his site? If so, it's a failing he had to make it canon after the fact. The way Selina treated Kate here made me believe she was faking being bisexual to mess with her. It doesn't play like she's actually bisexual at all.
It was in press materials and interviews prior to release. I don't think it was faking so much as just using Kate's attraction to her as a way of throwing her off her game because that's what Selina does with everyone.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It was in press materials and interviews prior to release. I don't think it was faking so much as just using Kate's attraction to her as a way of throwing her off her game because that's what Selina does with everyone.
It's gross and sends a bad message between two women. I don't care what the press materials said.

Frontier

Staff member
It's gross and sends a bad message between two women. I don't care what the press materials said.
I mean, if anything I think that just represents the kind of character Catwoman is and that she treats both sexes the same way, and she and Kate were able to work well together anyways.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I mean, if anything I think that just represents the kind of character Catwoman is and that she treats both sexes the same way, and she and Kate were able to work well together anyways.
I'll say it: That kind of character is gross. Especially today.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The kind of character who toys with or teases another characters' feelings?
Sexually? Yes. Gross. It amazes me what fans of superhero comics will tolerate. But Catwoman is almost no better than Pepe Le Lew, with the exception of the gender dynamic being switched (which admittedly usually does make it a little easier to forgive. Except when she pulls it on another woman. Then it's just as gross as Pepe.)

Frontier

Staff member
Sexually? Yes. Gross. It amazes me what fans of superhero comics will tolerate. But Catwoman is almost no better than Pepe Le Lew, with the exception of the gender dynamic being switched (which admittedly usually does make it a little easier to forgive. Except when she pulls it on another woman. Then it's just as gross as Pepe.)
I guess the difference for me is that it's not like she's physically assaulting someone or pushing herself on someone who is unwilling, nor is she cripplingly emotionally manipulating someone, so I don't see it as all that problematic. But I guess seduction can toe a fine line.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I guess the difference for me is that it's not like she's physically assaulting someone or pushing herself on someone who is unwilling, nor is she cripplingly emotionally manipulating someone, so I don't see it as all that problematic. But I guess seduction can toe a fine line.
What I dislike is that the creators make the distinction that the person being seduced is into it, so it's not an actual violation, or anything. But if you showed a guys doing to female character what Catwoman does to male characters people would rightly throw a fit. Even James Bond isn't as gross as he used to be for that reason. I don't think creepy, predatory behavior should be excused because supposedly the person it is done to finds it hot. What if they didn't? What if it frightened them instead? And it's because comic book writers never ask themselves that question which is why I think characters like Catwoman and Poison Ivy are so problematic.

Frontier

Staff member
What I dislike is that the creators make the distinction that the person being seduced is into it, so it's not an actual violation, or anything. But if you showed a guys doing to female character what Catwoman does to male characters people would rightly throw a fit. Even James Bond isn't as gross as he used to be for that reason. I don't think creepy, predatory behavior should be excused because supposedly the person it is done to finds it hot. What if they didn't? What if it frightened them instead? And it's because comic book writers never ask themselves that question which is why I think characters like Catwoman and Poison Ivy are so problematic.
Well, seduction in principle relies on their being an attraction or interest between the characters, but I think the extent to which it goes defines how predatory it actually is and Selina never outright brainwashes people like Ivy does or forces someone to sleep with her.

But I guess that also just goes into how "okay" it is for anyone to manipulate someone, whatever the context or method.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Well, seduction in principle relies on their being an attraction or interest between the characters, but I think the extent to which it goes defines how predatory it actually is and Selina never outright brainwashes people like Ivy does or forces someone to sleep with her.

But I guess that also just goes into how "okay" it is for anyone to manipulate someone, whatever the context or method.
It's a comic book's bread and butter, but it's not a storytelling technique I remotely approve of. I write my reviews under the understanding that it's possible certain comic book tropes are indefensible (to me at least).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
She was. And doing it while naked in the tub is not okay.
I seem to recall her stealing it before she got in the tub. We don't see it happening "live." It's just revealed after the fact she has the phone after she's in the tub and we put and 2 and 2 together. I think you're being prudish. She's not mocking Batwoman's sexuality out of the blue for no reason nor doing it maliciously. The objective was to steal the phone and Selina used herself as the temporary distraction. I don't think there was anything more to it.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I seem to recall her stealing it before she got in the tub. We don't see it happening "live." It's just revealed after the fact she has the phone after she's in the tub and we put and 2 and 2 together. I think you're being prudish. She's not mocking Batwoman's sexuality out of the blue for no reason nor doing it maliciously. The objective was to steal the phone and Selina used herself as the temporary distraction. I don't think there was anything more to it.
Of course I'm being prudish. I'm a prude. So I object to that. It would be weird if I didn't.

Edit:

Let me put this way. The creators were obviously hoping to get an offended reaction from certain people watching the movie. I happen to be one of those people offended. It's a perfectly normal reaction to that. You make a certain scene for shock value you can't be surprised people are shocked.

Edit 2:

I think I'm getting pushback here because my reaction is quite conservative and it's confusing people who know my political bent. The truth is, I'm not precisely a liberal. More like a partisan Democrat. I'm very personally conservative.

In one of my reviews that was edited by the mods yesterday (rightly, I might added. I should have rereviewed it more carefully) I made a very saucy joke. But it was just a joke, and I was kidding and didn't mean it or believe it. That's another reason I suppose my thoughts on this might be confusing.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Of course I'm being prudish. I'm a prude. So I object to that. It would be weird if I didn't.

Edit:

Let me put this way. The creators were obviously hoping to get an offended reaction from certain people watching the movie. I happen to be one of those people offended. It's a perfectly normal reaction to that. You make a certain scene for shock value you can't be surprised people are shocked.

Edit 2:

I think I'm getting pushback here because my reaction is quite conservative and it's confusing people who know my political bent. The truth is, I'm not precisely a liberal. More like a partisan Democrat. I'm very personally conservative.

In one of my reviews that was edited by the mods yesterday (rightly, I might added. I should have rereviewed it more carefully) I made a very saucy joke. But it was just a joke, and I was kidding and didn't mean it or believe it. That's another reason I suppose my thoughts on this might be confusing.
Well, you got me a little curious. Exactly how would you have done this scene of her stealing the Batphone?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Well, you got me a little curious. Exactly how would you have done this scene of her stealing the Batphone?
Catwoman's a pickpocket, right? It's mundane, but it's how I would have done it. Not everything needs to be a set piece. The movie was already overlong. Also would have saved a couple of minutes.

Edit:

Also should point out that Catwoman just snagging the phone off Kate's person when she wasn't looking is the REALISTIC way a person would do it in that scenario. Isn't Weisman all about doing things realistically? Or does that not factor in at all when there is potential gross fanservice involved? I'm not going to say Weisman's commitment to believability and realism is obviously b.s. he only pays lip service to. But this scene says it for me.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Catwoman's a pickpocket, right? It's mundane, but it's how I would have done it. Not everything needs to be a set piece. The movie was already overlong. Also would have saved a couple of minutes.

Edit:

Also should point out that Catwoman just snagging the phone off Kate's person when she wasn't looking is the REALISTIC way a person would do it in that scenario. Isn't Weisman all about doing things realistically? Or does that not factor in at all when there is potential gross fanservice involved? I'm not going to say Weisman's commitment to believability and realism is obviously b.s. he only pays lip service to. But this scene says it for me.
So you mean in the jet scene, just have Catwoman pretend to bump into Batwoman and skip the whole seduction bit straight to the tub scene? Eh, I guess that could work.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
So you mean in the jet scene, just have Catwoman pretend to bump into Batwoman and skip the whole seduction bit straight to the tub scene? Eh, I guess that could work.
Simple, no? I'm a very simple writer when it comes to stuff like that. Also, I'd just eliminate the tub scene entirely. I don't need to see a superhero's ADL's.

ABrown

Target had this on sale for $9 off, so I went ahead and picked it up. I really enjoyed it, mostly because of Elizabeth Gillies. She is absolutely incredible in all of her roles, and I think she was an absolutely perfect choice to play Catwoman.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts