Cartoons You Hated as Kid but Now Like as a Teen or Adult

JoeMabbon

Autobot
A companion thread to this one.

What are some shows you hated or didn't care for, but appreciate more now that you're older?

Beast Machines would be one for me. When it first came out I couldn't stand it. Most of the cast was written differently than how they were in Beast Wars, something Hasbro encouraged, to the point that they felt unrecognizable. There was less comedy and the conflict was so bleak. I also hated the Maximal robot designs which felt too humanoid for my tastes. I re-watched it in high school and found it far more palatable. Maybe because I was further away from Beast Wars by that point. Maybe the Unicron Trilogy helped me appreciate the writing more. I still don't like designs for the Maximal's robot modes, but their beast modes and the overall designs for the Vehicons still hold up years later.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Hate is a strong word! (déjà vu :D )
I will also include being a teenager as childhood.

Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: I strongly disliked it. Look, I grew up with the 1976 episodes of The Scooby-Doo Show and this cartoon is shockingly different from it. But in a good way. SDMI is really hilarious, the ONLY Scoovy-Doo cartoon that is ACTUALLY funny. Also the only Scooby-Doo cartoon that is actually mysterious and scary! The only downside is the romantic troubles in the first season, they took it too far. (lthough it was funny in the beginning)

Medabots: I already couldn't stand Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade, so I imagined this one would be just as bad. But this cartoon is actually kinda funny and the characters are so cute together!

Code Lyoko: I found it too repetitive and weird as a child. But I did like Scooby-Doo so those are not the best reasons to dislike a cartoon...

G.I Joe Renegades: A cartoon about soldiers... sounds terrible. I saw one episode and hated it. But now I changed my mind. The fact that they are fugitive is what makes it work.

‐-----------------------------------------------------------------
The following I never strongly disliked:

It took me 5-ish years to give The Secret Saturdays a proper chance because of its strange art style. It premiered when I got in my short teenage phase where I was overly harsh on new cartoons. Now I actually kind of like the strange art style, especially the static noise you sometimes see on the screen! (only in HD, the American TV rips you find only lack this static noise) This cartoon was just as original with animation as its siblings Chowder and Flapjack.

Hey Arnold: my sister liked it but I was too young to read the subtitles. When I got older, they only aired it with a horrible dub. So naturally I didn't like it so much. I was also under the impression that it was too down-to-earth to be a cartoon. As an adult I think disagree with that. The jazz, the character designs and the colours are what make this cartoon so good.

I didn't like Angelo Rules as a young teenager, but that's because season 1 is pretty boring. This cartoon improves every season, it's insane.

Sym-Bionic Titan: Well, there were so many action cartoons on TV and this one felt so cliché, so I only watched the first episode and then skipped the rest. I couldn't have known that they would break all of those clichés! I also couldn't have known that the action would have been so good! (Well, I actually could have... it's Genndy Tartakovsky)

Transformers Prime: The first episodes are soooo bad. They immediately kill off a character and it doesn't have ANY emotional weight AT ALL. Such "Edgelord" writing was a good enough reason to stop watching, so I stopped. But after that it got better. I don't think this cartoon is the best one ever, but I now disagree with most of the Transformers fandom that its flaws are "unbearable". Some of its flaws include the fact that all main characters are very flat, Miko is too annoying and nothing REALLY happens in most of the series (every few episodes you will think: "We are back where we started!"). However, the Decepticons are funny and have more character than the Autobots, and the plots of the individual episodes are good, you only realize how hollow it is when you watch an entire season and realize that overall, nothing meaningful has happened. This cartoon is good when your expectations are very low, but it sucks when your expectations are high. This cartoon is actually almost like an episodic cartoon that pretends like it's not, and there is nothing wrong with episodic cartoons IMO.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I grew up in the 1980's. There is not a single cartoon I hated as a kid that turned out better in hindsight. It's always the other way around.

@Red Arrow I love Transformers Prime. It's the only Transformers cartoon I love. Had no idea it was divisive among the fandom.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I grew up in the 1980's. There is not a single cartoon I hated as a kid that turned out better in hindsight. It's always the other way around.

@Red Arrow I love Transformers Prime. It's the only Transformers cartoon I love. Had no idea it was divisive among the fandom.
TFW2005 has many threads like this and this. Many either love or despise Prime, but I kinda agree with both opinions :sweat:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
TFW2005 has many threads like this and this. Many either love or despise Prime, but I kinda agree with both opinions :sweat:
I saw Prime before I saw Animated so my perspective was that it was literally the first good Transformers cartoon I ever saw and was mad I didn't get something that great as a kid. I can't really take complaints about it (even if they are true on some level) THAT seriously if they are from people who love the trainwreck of the G1.

For the record, I think Animated is definitely overrated. Prime is my favorite because the finale movie Predacons Rising was absolutely amazing.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Every piece of Transformers media is divisive. Except Kiss Players, which is universally hated.
Yes that's true :D The Transformers franchise will never have a Batman: TAS series that pleases most fans, because pleasing most fans is impossible. Every fan has their own ideas on what Transformers should be like.

To be fair, Energon and Cybertron are almost universally disliked as well, not as much as Kiss Players but still.

I do find the Kiss Players images on Google hilarious.

creator

Thanks for posting a positive thread.

I enjoyed Rocko's Modern Life when I was younger, but I appreciate it much more as an adult. I always laughed at the show's zaniness, but many of the jokes flew over my head. There is an airline called "Dairy Air" which I never picked up as a kid, but it's pretty clever.

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
I have one on the top of my mind, "Rocko's Modern Life" It was a show I didn't want to even watch as a kid, when it was rerunning on Nick, that was switch channels time. I've grown to like the show more now, the Splat reruns made me like the show when they first re-ran it. So, I do like it now. (Funny enough, I tried the same for Ren and Stimpy and still don't like that show)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's a fun fact. Benjamin Valic said in this article about how he considers Robert Downey Jr as one of his favorite actors.

What I currently plan: Artistic Alphabet, but with references to various Anime Superhero members in the background.

This is the original version, it was made in 1996 and uploaded to Youtube a decade later:
TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!
To think that it was 5 years ago on this day when Ronnie Anne Santiago made her "formal"/on-screen debut. It was on May 3rd of that year when she made her "technical"/off-screen debut.

The winner of this matchup is Surprise, which got 4 votes. The Birthday Cruise got 1 vote. The next matchup is Sleepover Sneak In. It's between "Slumber Party Sneak In" from Too Loud and "Blunder Party" from The Casagrandes.

Featured Posts