Cartoons and Copyright

Cartman

Flute Player
From what I understand, the reason why companies who own the rights to a lot of these vintage cartoons (i.e. Sony owning Columbia cartoons) don't release their cartoons on any format is because they don't believe it will generate enough income.

My question is, if they don't think the cartoons will generate enough income through sales, why do they continue to spend the money to renew the copyrights rather than just either selling the rights to someone else or letting the films lapse into the public domain?

Pooky

Staff member
Beats me. I also think these companies could officially release some of their cartoons on YouTube; I'm aware that might not be a huge revenue generator, but surely a little is better than none?

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Regarding the Columbia cartoons, they have trickled onto MeTV's Toon in With Me block (i.e. a short appears every now and then), so at least they're getting some modern attention, even if it's not a format (I assume that means home video/digital/streaming).

Of course, it's good that MeTV is giving attention to vintage cartoons, especially those not yet available in a format.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts