Cartoons Adult Swim never aired

powerjake

Banned
There are alot of cartoons Adult Swim never aired on the late night block and these are ones I've noticed that never made it.

1.The Simpsons (During the Pre-Disney Fox days, Why was this never on Adult Swim).
2.South Park
3.Duckman
4.The Critic
5.Beavis and Butt-Head
6.Daria
7.BoJack Horseman
8.Star Trek: Lower Decks
9.Happy Tree Friends
10.Archer (Never happen during the Pre-Disney Fox days)
11.Ugly Americans
12.Napoleon Dynamite: The Animated Series

So what made Adult Swim not bother airing these cartoons?.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
So what made Adult Swim not bother airing these cartoons?.
  • Simpsons wasn't offered for cable syndication until 2014. Adult Swim (and the Turner networks in general) did try to bid on it at the time, but were outbid by FXX.
  • South Park and Ugly Americans are Comedy Central shows and had never been offered to other networks. This also applies to the MTV shows you listed.
  • BoJack Horseman's TV syndication rights were picked up by Comedy Central.
  • Star Trek Lower Decks only just started last year, and it's a streaming show so Paramount may not even give it a TV run.
  • When Happy Tree Friends was relevant, the TV rights were picked up by G4. By the time G4 lost it, its popularity had largely passed.
  • IIRC, Adult Swim did try to get syndication rights to Archer at one point (and it does actually air on Adult Swim in Canada), but FX declined the offer.
  • Napoleon Dynamite TAS bombed on Fox and was canceled after one season. Granted, Adult Swim did air Sit Down Shut Up, but that was the only one-season Fox show they bothered with.
I don't have an answer for Duckman and The Critic, but I imagine there either wasn't an interest from Adult Swim in those or the asking price was never low enough to justify it.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
IIRC, Adult Swim did try to get syndication rights to Archer at one point (and it does actually air on Adult Swim in Canada), but FX declined the offer.

Comedy Central obtained the rights to Archer in 2014.

I don't have an answer for Duckman and The Critic
Comedy Central and, again, Comedy Central.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
The UPN Dilbert series. I even recall someone (maybe not on this site) pointing that out around the time God, The Devil and Bob started airing on AS (early 2011).

powerjake

Banned
  • Simpsons wasn't offered for cable syndication until 2014. Adult Swim (and the Turner networks in general) did try to bid on it at the time, but were outbid by FXX.
  • South Park and Ugly Americans are Comedy Central shows and had never been offered to other networks. This also applies to the MTV shows you listed.
  • BoJack Horseman's TV syndication rights were picked up by Comedy Central.
  • Star Trek Lower Decks only just started last year, and it's a streaming show so Paramount may not even give it a TV run.
  • When Happy Tree Friends was relevant, the TV rights were picked up by G4. By the time G4 lost it, its popularity had largely passed.
  • IIRC, Adult Swim did try to get syndication rights to Archer at one point (and it does actually air on Adult Swim in Canada), but FX declined the offer.
  • Napoleon Dynamite TAS bombed on Fox and was canceled after one season. Granted, Adult Swim did air Sit Down Shut Up, but that was the only one-season Fox show they bothered with.

Those looked like the type of cartoons Adult Swim would pick up and air, from what you explained no wonder they were unable to have those in their lineup.

SpaceCowboy

Oh, I first clicked on this thread assuming it was about shows Adult Swim was supposed to air but never did.
Shows like Aquaman and Friends and that Rejected short by Don Hertzfeldt. :/

powerjake

Banned
Oh, I first clicked on this thread assuming it was about shows Adult Swim was supposed to air but never did.
Shows like Aquaman and Friends and that Rejected short by Don Hertzfeldt. :/

Thats not what I'm talking about, just mentioning adult cartoons they have never aired before.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
How about Powerpuff Girls Z?
That's a kids show through and through. CN could have aired it in the mid-2000s (back when anime was more pominent on their lineup), but they chose not to. It's way too late for them to air it nowadays.

harry580

That's a kids show through and through. CN could have aired it in the mid-2000s (back when anime was more pominent on their lineup), but they chose not to. It's way too late for them to air it nowadays.
yeah and also that anime would have aired on toonami

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Duckman was originally USA

I can see Comedy Central or AS reviving it since it ended on an unresolved cliffhanger. Comedy Central is sister to CBS Studios, which owns Duckman, and other ViacomCBS series of a similar style are being revived or getting spinoffs on CC.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Adult Swim needs to stop relying on acquisitions. That's why they are in the dire straits they are. Once Disney bought Fox 3/4ths of their entire library was gone. They need to produce new, legit original programming instead of just cheap stoner comedy.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.

Featured Posts