Cartoon sound clips used on Svengoolie

Mr. Horse

insert clever caption here
'Pologies for the late, late, late, late reply (was pre-occupied with other schtuff), but thanks for the additions! Unfortunately, it would appear I've been locked out and can't edit the OP. Looks like we ought to create a spreadsheet to catalogue all of these.

and thanks for identifying the source of "Oh, uh.... yeah." Was wondering about that line for quite some time.

TeridaxXD001

It’s not a cartoon, but after watching a lot of The Munsters the past couple days, I can identify the “Oh...darn!” sound byte as specifically taken from the episode "Autumn Croakus.”

Last edited:

TeridaxXD001

Animaniacs:
“Now goodbye, you worthless little morons!” (“Plane Pals”)

The Simpsons:
“How ‘bout something cool?” (“Saddlesore Galactica”)

Last edited:

Jared DiCarlo

Sorry it's taken me so long to update the list, but thanks for the additions!

There are a few I'm wondering about too:
-"Heh-uh-heh-hey....POOEY!"
-"Stand by folks, here it comes!"
The “POOEY” sound effect, as Sven explained on his show back in the 90s (the clip where he does this is unfortunately now private), comes from an old comedian named Eddie Lawrence, aka “The Old Philosopher”. I’ve listened to a few of Lawrence’s records as this character (and believe me, they were painful to get through), but haven’t been able to find the particular record that has this on it.

TeridaxXD001

Pinky and the Brain:
“Oh Brain, you look simply fetchin’!” (“Brainania”)

Looney Tunes:
“It’s quite disturbing, you know. Quite disturbing, yes, yes, quite disturbing.” (Goofy Gophers?)
“Ooh, simply wonderful!” (also Goofy Gophers?)

The Simpsons:
“I don't think any of us expected him to say that.” (“Homie the Clown”)

Last edited:

Mr. Horse

insert clever caption here
The “POOEY” sound effect, as Sven explained on his show back in the 90s (the clip where he does this is unfortunately now private), comes from an old comedian named Eddie Lawrence, aka “The Old Philosopher”. I’ve listened to a few of Lawrence’s records as this character (and believe me, they were painful to get through), but haven’t been able to find the particular record that has this on it.
Thanks! I actually thought it might've been lurking around on an old Stan Freberg record, like "Ow, ow, OWWWWW!"

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Dunno if this was mentioned before, but another Looney Tunes sound: "Duh, doi [et al]...", from shorts like Hot Cross Bunny (which I re-watched just days ago).
Looney Tunes:
”Yeah, I say, yeah…” (Foghorn Leghorn)
IIRC, that clip sounded slowed down on Svengoolie. Not sure if it was like that originally or not.

About the Homer scream: I think it's within this compilation video (The Last Temptation of Homer, I guess?):

Jared DiCarlo

Thanks! I actually thought it might've been lurking around on an old Stan Freberg record, like "Ow, ow, OWWWWW!"
Speaking of old Stan Freberg bits, that clip Sven uses of people cheering "Bravo, bravo! Was that moving, was that not a great bit?" comes from his United States of America album (narrated by Paul Frees, and featuring usual Freberg cronies such as Peter Leeds and June Foray). I also heard "Adios, muchachos!" on this album.

Last edited:

disman00911

Hello, new member here although I remember this website when it used to be called ToonZone.

Anyway, I want to say thank you so much for creating this thread. I watched Svengoolie a lot when I was younger when he was on WCIU Channel 26 and still occasionally watch his show on MeTV from time to time. I am quite amazed that not only the posters here were not only able to identify the shows where the sound clips Sven used originated from but from the exact episodes. There were some sound clips that have been identified that I always assumed that were either public domain or exclusive to his show. For example, the Stan Freberg albums (I’m more familiar with him voicing Pete Puma are few other characters on Looney Tunes.)

I was a 90s child and I grew up in the Chicagoland area and actually old enough to remember when WCIU switched from Spanish-speaking Univision (which since resides on WGBO Channel 66, essentially switching places with WCIU) to English-speaking independent and revived Svengoolie. I never knew of the “Son of Svengoolie” since that was way before my time as I wasn’t alive then and was in diapers when WFLD Channel 32 (the future Fox affiliate) would cancel it in 1986. I do remember Rich Koz (the man behind Svengoolie) hosting children’s programming in the early 90s called the “Koz Zone” on Fox 32 that aired programs, such as “Tiny Toons”, “Muppet Babies”, “Alvin and the Chipmunks”, “Super Mario Bros Super Show”, “Beetlejuice”, etc. Koz continued to do Koz Zone bits even as Fox expanded its Fox Kids cartoon lineup to weekday afternoons in 1992.

Here’s some Fox Kids 1992 commercial break that aired in the Chicago market, which featured a few Rich Koz promos.
Fox Kids commercial break 1992 1
Fox Kids commercial break 1992 2

I didn’t know it at the time but Sven used many of the same sound effects that that date back to the Son of Svengoolie years of the 80s and the Jerry Bishop original adaptation of the character in the 70s. (Koz also used these when he was doing the Koz Zone in the early 90s on Fox 32.) What always stood out for me was that Sven would use sound clips from various TV shows, movies, and cartoons in addition to the sound effects that were exclusive to his show (such as “BERWYN!!”). It always amazed why I randomly heard clips from Animaniacs, which was my favorite weekday/Saturday Morning cartoon back in the day, as I sat through the movies that Sven was showcasing every week.

It was already mentioned earlier, but the likely reason why Sven was able to use sound clips from Animaniacs, Looney Tunes, etc. was that WCIU was airing Kids WB programming when it first launch. Chicago was quite quirky when it came to WB programming as the Kids WB programs aired on WCIU and not WGN Channel 9, which instead was airing newscasts, talk shows and sitcom repeats (or Cubs/White Sox games during baseball season) on the weekdays and “Bozo the Clown” on Sundays mornings. Also, in most TV markets, Kids WB weekend programming aired on Saturday mornings at around 7-11am local time. But in Chicago, the programs aired on SUNDAY morning and started on a later time at 10am-2pm. Chicago kids didn’t experience the “Big Kids Goes First” fiasco (where Kids WB aired the older-skewing cartoons first and the rest afterwards) as badly as children in most other markets.

Usually, Sven would use sound clips from TV shows or cartoons that WCIU was airing at the time (the shows on the Kids WB block, Mama’s Family, Hogan’s Heroes, Good Times, etc.) But there were sound clips from shows that WCIU DIDN’T air, most notably The Simpsons (whose syndicated reruns were airing on WFLD 32, the Fox affiliate). Maybe Sven got permission from his former employers at WFLD to use Simpson clips. Of course, I would hear sound clips from “Beavis & Butthead”, “South Park” and other shows as the years went by. I was always wondering if there were other people out who watched Svengoolie at some point remember any of the sound clips he often used on his show.

Last edited:

disman00911

I found a few other sound clips Sven used on his show over the years that I didn’t see listed.

Dot Warner saying “DEE-GUSTING!” on Animaniacs (yet another sound clip from that show!)

May I Sniff Ya? – a puppy says this to his grandfather in a Slappy Squirrel short (again from "Animaniacs”)

There was another Pinky and the Brain clip was where Pinky laughs and says “NARF!”

Officer Cosgrove (voiced by Ed Asner) saying “Ha! That’s Funny” on Freakazoid. Sven may had also used Cosgrove’s catchphrase (“Cut it out”) but I’m not sure. The “Great googly moogly” sound clip was also from Freakazoid and it was said by Professor Jones (voiced by Jonathan Harris of “Lost in Space” fame.)

Speedy Gonzales going “Andale Andale YEAHAW!!” (Looney Tunes)

Not sure were this soudn came from but it was a woman saying “Oh My God, Oh My God, Oh My God!” in a quick fashion who sounded like Harley Quinn from the Batman animated series. Then again, I don’t think the Fox or WB censors would allow a character to say that on a show targeted towards children although the Batman cartoon did air briefly on Fox’s primetime lineup.

“So Long Jackass!” – sounds like it came from Seinfeld but not sure. It was often used just before Sven gets chickens thrown at him to end the show. after a corny joke told by a man whose only visable by his hands. It would be replaced with the Bugs Bunny clip “So Long Screwy, See you in St. Louie!” right around Svengoolie moved from WCIU 26 to MeTV.

“That’s Gotta Hurt!” – almost certain this was from Seinfeld as it’s George Costanza’s voice. WCIU later aired “Seinfeld” reruns sometime in the 2000s. In the Chicago market, they first aired on WFLD Fox 32 when Seinfeld reruns entered syndication.

Here’s a Simpsons one that Sven used: Krusty the Clown saying “What the Hell was THAT?” after he showcased a Russian version of “Itchy and Scratchy” after he lost the rights to air “Itchy and Scratchy” (from “Krusty Gets Cancelled”)

Some more Simpsons ones:
Bart and Lisa screaming in horror
Bart and Lisa shouting “YAY!!” in delight
“Don’t Have a Cow, Dad.”
Bart saying this to Homer.

“You Jackass!” Thelma Harper from the 1980s sitcom “Mama’s Family”

“Mmmm That’s Good!” JJ Walker from the 1970s sitcom “Good Times”. All this time I had always thought I was a clip from Rerun from “What’s Happening”, another 1970s sitcom. WCIU was airing reruns of both shows at the time as well as the 1980s revival series “What’s Happening Now”. Sven may had also use of a clip of JJ’s famous catchphrase “Dynomite!” from Good Times but I'm not sure.

“Hey pipe down! We’re trying to go to sleep!” (Moe Howard, unknown Three Stooges short)

Sven also used movie clips from various movies:
“ALRIGHT!!!!” (Adam Sandler, “Big Daddy” 1999)
“YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” (Jack Nicholson, “A Few Good Men” 1992)

That’s all I can think of for now. If I know any others, I will let you know.

In the meantime, there are some Svengoolie clips on Youtube (including full shows that were recorded on VHS back then):
Svengoolie 100th Show on WCIU in 1997
Svengoolie 150th Episode on WCIU in 1998
random Svengoolie youtube playlists

disman00911

Even MORE clips from Animaniacs that Sven used! The WCIU staff must had really loved that show back then.
Dot - "You can't argue with that. It's too stupid."
A man saying "It was the most stupidest thing I ever seen!". Think this was from the Warner's 65th anniversary episode and it was a Kirk Douglas/Spartacus impression (the same one Maurice LaMarche used that episode where the Warners met Michelangelo)

A few unknown ones:
- A girl or young woman saying "That is so mean!"
- A woman sarcastically saying "Everybody Ha Ha Ha!" (think this was from one of the 90s Warner Bros cartoons, probably "Animaniacs" again since I heard some background music.)

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I found a few other sound clips Sven used on his show over the years that I didn’t see listed.

Dot Warner saying “DEE-GUSTING!” on Animaniacs (yet another sound clip from that show!)

May I Sniff Ya? – a puppy says this to his grandfather in a Slappy Squirrel short (again from "Animaniacs”)

There was another Pinky and the Brain clip was where Pinky laughs and says “NARF!”

Officer Cosgrove (voiced by Ed Asner) saying “Ha! That’s Funny” on Freakazoid. Sven may had also used Cosgrove’s catchphrase (“Cut it out”) but I’m not sure. The “Great googly moogly” sound clip was also from Freakazoid and it was said by Professor Jones (voiced by Jonathan Harris of “Lost in Space” fame.)

Speedy Gonzales going “Andale Andale YEAHAW!!” (Looney Tunes)

Not sure were this soudn came from but it was a woman saying “Oh My God, Oh My God, Oh My God!” in a quick fashion who sounded like Harley Quinn from the Batman animated series. Then again, I don’t think the Fox or WB censors would allow a character to say that on a show targeted towards children although the Batman cartoon did air briefly on Fox’s primetime lineup.

“So Long Jackass!” – sounds like it came from Seinfeld but not sure. It was often used just before Sven gets chickens thrown at him to end the show. after a corny joke told by a man whose only visable by his hands. It would be replaced with the Bugs Bunny clip “So Long Screwy, See you in St. Louie!” right around Svengoolie moved from WCIU 26 to MeTV.

“That’s Gotta Hurt!” – almost certain this was from Seinfeld as it’s George Costanza’s voice. WCIU later aired “Seinfeld” reruns sometime in the 2000s. In the Chicago market, they first aired on WFLD Fox 32 when Seinfeld reruns entered syndication.

Here’s a Simpsons one that Sven used: Krusty the Clown saying “What the Hell was THAT?” after he showcased a Russian version of “Itchy and Scratchy” after he lost the rights to air “Itchy and Scratchy” (from “Krusty Gets Cancelled”)

Some more Simpsons ones:
Bart and Lisa screaming in horror
Bart and Lisa shouting “YAY!!” in delight
“Don’t Have a Cow, Dad.”
Bart saying this to Homer.

“You Jackass!” Thelma Harper from the 1980s sitcom “Mama’s Family”

“Mmmm That’s Good!” JJ Walker from the 1970s sitcom “Good Times”. All this time I had always thought I was a clip from Rerun from “What’s Happening”, another 1970s sitcom. WCIU was airing reruns of both shows at the time as well as the 1980s revival series “What’s Happening Now”. Sven may had also use of a clip of JJ’s famous catchphrase “Dynomite!” from Good Times but I'm not sure.

“Hey pipe down! We’re trying to go to sleep!” (Moe Howard, unknown Three Stooges short)

Sven also used movie clips from various movies:
“ALRIGHT!!!!” (Adam Sandler, “Big Daddy” 1999)
“YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” (Jack Nicholson, “A Few Good Men” 1992)

That’s all I can think of for now. If I know any others, I will let you know.

In the meantime, there are some Svengoolie clips on Youtube (including full shows that were recorded on VHS back then):
Svengoolie 100th Show on WCIU in 1997
Svengoolie 150th Episode on WCIU in 1998
random Svengoolie youtube playlists
Yes, "so long jackass" was from Seinfeld.

Not animation, but I identified two oft-used voice clips. Both came from the obscure film Ruby:
"And keep your hands to yourself."
"You dirty, dirty bird!" - should be noted this is an edited clip- the original word was "bastard", not "bird".

The Rifftrax version is currently free on Amazon Prime if you want to watch it.

disman00911

Just watched a vintage Sven episode from 1999/2000 that was uploaded to YouTube and found the following sound clips:

"She's Alive....ALIVE!!" from "The Bride of Frankenstein".
"Oh My God, They Killed Kenny!" Stan Marsh from "South Park" (many episodes from the early seasons)
"I Bet You Say That To All The Girls", Dot from "Animanacs" (yet another clip from that show but I forgot the episode she said it in)
"Mind Your Own Beewax" - think this was from "Freakazoid" and said by Professor Jones
"That's Nice Singing. They Remind Me Of..." Slappy from "Animaniacs" (forgot the rest she said)
"Who You Hittin?!" Moe to Larry after he hits Curly just as after Moe does in the Three Stooges short "Disorder in the Court".
"Who Loves Ya, Sweetheart", The main character in the 1970s TV crime show "Kojak" (WCIU aired reruns of this show at the time)
"What A Tough Audience" - Bugs Bunny (unknown Looney Tunes short)

Sven used some sound effects, such as the ones typically heard in 1960s Hanna-Barbara cartoons. Some other sound effects include a baby crying, an audience laughing/canned laughter and a bowling strike.

Sven also used some random Three Stooges clips, usually the Public Domain ones as WCIU didn't air Three Stooges shorts when they became an English-speaking independent in 1995 as they were airing Sunday nights on WPWR Channel 50 (another independent station at the time though they had just became a UPN affiliate). Rich Koz later hosted a Three Stooges program "Stooge-a-Palooza" on WCIU in the 2000s.

A few unknown ones:
A man yelling "Get Off My Back!"
A man saying "Okey Doke" (probably an original one Sven used)
A man saying: "Well, Not Exactly".
A woman saying "My Boss Thinks It Will Be a Real Ratings-Grabber" (from an unknown TV show/cartoon).

It was already mentioned but the clip that has Yakko, Wakko, and Dot saying "YOU'RE KIDDING!" was from "Baloney & Friends"

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

I've heard variations of Eddie Lawrence's Old Philosopher routine on two episodes of Garfield and Friends; Mark Evanier has talked about getting him on the show and more or less reprising his role. I also heard him sampled at a record store I've frequented.

Getting back to sound clips, I've heard ones by The Goofy Gophers and Marge Simpson. Don't know/remember what they were, or if they've already been covered here (though the former is already represented per se).

Also, has anyone covered "You mean you don't know?! My life is ruined!", or something like that?

BTW: "Sven also used some random Three Stooges clips, usually the Public Domain ones". I previously mentioned a few from Disorder in the Court. It may be worth noting that a scene from Sing a Song of Six Pants is seen at the beginning of the opening sequence ("Calling all stations").

Last edited:

TeridaxXD001

Chicago was quite quirky when it came to WB programming as the Kids WB programs aired on WCIU and not WGN Channel 9,
It did eventually air on WGN (I own some tapes to prove it), but I'm unable to determine when exactly that was. It was at least by 1999 when they became Pokémon's exclusive US broadcaster.
Also, has anyone covered "You mean you don't know?! My life is ruined!", or something like that?
I mentioned earlier that it was from Animaniacs, specifically "Katie Ka-Boom: Call Waiting."

By the way, at the beginning of Dracula, Sven played yet another new cartoon sound clip, though it wasn't dialogue: it was an instrumental version of the 1967 Spider-Man theme.

Low Spark of Lyman

I mentioned earlier that it was from Animaniacs, specifically "Katie Ka-Boom: Call Waiting."

By the way, at the beginning of Dracula, Sven played yet another new cartoon sound clip, though it wasn't dialogue: it was an instrumental version of the 1967 Spider-Man theme.
A: I must have missed that. Or forgotten it. Or just didn't do enough looking back.

B: I noticed that. Pretty amazing.

disman00911

The WGN Superstation aired Kids WB programming for markets outside the Chicagoland area back in those days. Growing up in the Chicagoland area, I obviously didn't get the cable version of WGN since I already have local WGN. It was in 2004 that the Kids WB programming moved from WCIU 26 to WGN 9 but about a year later the programming changed from cartoons/kids programming to reruns of various WB sitcoms, such as "Reba" and "What I Like About You". The year after that, the WB and UPN merged to become the CW.

Anyway, some more Looney Tunes ones:
Miss Prissy saying "Oh yes."
Bugs Bunny saying "You are a Mental Case!" (unknown short)
There was a Yosemite Sam quote that was used (think it was from "High-Diving Hare" but I forgot) I also remember the Goofy Gopher sound clips being used but can't remember the exact quotes.

Animaniacs:
"Oh, he really got that clown this time!" - Plotz in that episode where he and Wakko are afraid of clowns.
"Oh, no no no no no." Dr. Scratchansniff (unknown episode)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts