Cartoon sound clips used on Svengoolie

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
The Joe Besser-esque "Not so fast!" seems to be from Birth of a Notion, at least if you ask me.

I also heard an Alfred Hitchcock line; don't remember what it was, though.

And yes, I know tonight's program was previously aired (for the most part*) on Halloween 2020, but nothing wrong with revisiting, right?

*The fan mail segment seems to be the primary exception.

EDIT 5/21/2022: I think the Hitchcock line was something like "My mind [sometimes?] moves in mysterious directions." It just came on tonight's movie: Dr. Phibes Rises Again

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
I don't think this has been acknowledged before: "How many times have I told you the phone is not for fun and games anymore?!" (or something like that), spoken by what sounds like a parody of Mr. Rogers.

EDIT: "No way. That's way too creepy." Has that been brought up before? (Sorry, movie's starting right now.)

EDIT 2: The line I brought up before was actually "Don't use the phone for fun and games anymore!" Which I've traced to I Saw What You Did (1965), which has been shown on Svengoolie before.

EDIT 3: "EEEEEeeeyuch!" Has that sort of thing been covered before? I did point out an "Eee-yuck", but I don't know if that's the same thing. It's surely not the "Raw! Raw! Rooster!" entry, at any rate.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Come back soon!
Staff member
Reporter
There’s a clip he keeps using of a lady saying “Uh-oh!” followed by giggling. Well, I’m watching I Love Lucy right now and I just heard Ethel say this. The episode is “Ricky’s Contract” from Season 4.

I think the lady saying “You scared me!” might be from I Love Lucy as well.
Yes, "You scared me!" is from Lucy. Can't remember which episode off-hand though.

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
Just tonight, w/ Trilogy of Terror- when one actor in the film had been noted for appearing in the television version of Logan's Run, apparently a clip of Col. Klink from Hogan's Heroes played, especially since it played into the gag Sven gave in response.

EDIT: "Oh no?", apparently from Boris Karloff in Frankenstein 1970, heard in the beginning of tonight's episode, It! The Terror from Beyond Space. I've seen it before, so I don't plan on watching much this time (this finding was more from luck).

Last edited:

Mr. Horse

insert clever caption here
Hey!
Apologies that I haven't checked this thread in a while, I've just been preoccupied with other stuff.
I felt like hopping on here to say, nice work, all of you! Nice to see this place still up and running, and mad props to you folks for ID'ing the sources of these fun little sound-bites.

Classic Speedy

Come back soon!
Staff member
Reporter
Fiend Without a Face:

Hare-way to the Stars:
Marvin the Martian: Delays, delays...

Hyde and Hare:
Bugs: Why! I've never been so insulted in all my life!

disman00911

I made a text file, updating all the identified sound clips used on Svengoolie. Correct me if there are any errors. Maybe the mods could use these in a sticky post or something.

Been a while since I last watched an episode of Svengoolie. Last week, I tuned in and spotted a few other sound clips:

Marge Simpson saying something like "As long as the fans like it". Forgot the exact quote.

There's a woman saying "Oh, uh Beautiful". Sounded like Lucille Ball from "I Love Lucy" but not sure. I often heard this sound clip be used over the years.

In one segment where Sven visits a fan convention, I heard two sound clips from the "Star Wars" movies one from Darth Vader and another from Obi Wan Kenobi but I forgot the exact quotes.

I've noticed that MeTV has expanded "Svengoolie" to a 1/2 hour. Three hours in total if the half hour spinoff "Sventoonie" is included. "Sventoonie" is the alter-ego of the red fish puppet Toonie that appears in "Toon In With Me" on MeTV and does commentary over a film. However, Sventoonie doesn't use any of the sound clips typically used in "Svengoolie" and has its own style of humor. Also, Sven is doing a "Spawn of Svengoolie" contest as I assume that MeTV is looking for a successor as Rich Koz has been portraying Sven for over 45 years or so.

On a side note, all this time I thought the "Koz Zone" was only a children's program block hosted by Rich Koz (aka Svengoolie) but instead began in 1989 as a movie-hosting program similar to "Svengoolie" as Koz returned to WFLD TV (Chicago's Fox affiliate) after the cancellation of "Son of Svengoolie" three years earlier. Much like the aforementioned "Son of Svengoolie" (and its later revival on WCIU and MeTV), the movies shown are usually b-list horror or Sci-Fi flicks. Koz also used many of the sound clips from the "Son of Svengoolie" (and Screaming Yellow Theater" before it) on the "Koz Zone". The "Koz Zone" also typically ended with a faceless man (with Koz doing the voiceover) telling Koz a corny joke, much like in "Svengoolie." However, Koz didn't get rubber chickens thrown at him at the end. There's also a music segment though Sven's long-time musical partner Doug Scharf ("Man with Other Hat") doesn't appear.

One episode features Koz returning as Svengoolie, who was seen as an separate alter-ego and wants to angrily confront Koz at the WFLD building. Can't find the exact segment clip on YouTube. It must had gotten deleted. The children's block version of the Koz Zone didn't start until 1991 and the "Koz Zone" as a whole ended in early 1993, about two years before Koz resurrected the Svengoolie character on WCIU 26. As a child of the 1990s growing up in the Chicago area, I only remember the children's hosting block and not the late night movie block since I was too young to remember the 1980s. Here's the first episode and a few other episode segments. The last link I posted was dead so here's a a few clips of Koz Zone / Fox Kids programming on WFLD Chicago in 1992. Two other short clips here and here, both from 1991, a year before Fox expanded its children's programming.

Attachments

• Svengoolie sound clips.txt
    16.8 KB · Views: 3

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
I've made my own list of sound clips myself, but haven't really done anything with it for a while now (or even write down new/unfamiliar stuff), in no small part since I have so many other things on my plate. So it's probably best that you, @disman00911 , be the primary driver of such a project. I can still help out with what I've got to fill in any cracks, though.

I have noticed ads for the expanded version of Svengoolie since, IIRC, Christmas Eve last year. I was concerned for a while about that due to the 10PM local news on MeTV for both stations I get in my area. The good news is that both stations have moved their news-on-MeTV slot to 10:30PM to accommodate Svengoolie. The bad news is that this means I still don't have access to the Sventoonie spinoff.

disman00911

Do you have a few of sound clips you wrote down? You may have written down some clips that I didn't write down.

I identified a few more clips but there likely exclusive to the show or from old Stan Freberg records as they date way back to the "Son of Svengoolie" era.
A man saying "Yeah" repeatedly
A man saying "Oh yeah!"
Another man screaming clip

I found the clip of Rich Koz bringing back his Svengoolie character during his Koz Zone stint in 1989. Another thing I noticed that Sven sometimes does pictography/"Win Lose or Draw" segments in the Me-TV era. Based on the few clips of the Koz Zone I've seen online, he also did these types of segments. I don't recall him doing these during the early years of the WCIU/Revival era. I did watch a full episode from the "Son of Svengoolie" 80s era on YouTube and it appeared that Sven didn't do a drawing segment during that era.

disman00911

Just thought of another Looney Tunes sound clip that was used at one point:
"Dogpile on the Rabbit!", said by the street tough bulldog who antagonizes Bugs in "A Hare Grows in Manhattan" (1947).

Also, there's a clip of a woman saying "Yeah, that's right!". There's some laughter in the background, indicating it must had been a comedy sketch or sitcom from the 1930s/40s/50s.

disman00911

Has the clip "Great, another loser" been identified yet?
No. I don't know the original source.

Meanwhile, I heard at least four other sound clips from yesterday's show. However, I don't know the original sources,
A man saying "Do You Know What You're Full Of?" (this is likely original/exclusive to the show as it dates back to the "Son of Svengoolie" days)
- A woman saying "Hubba, hubba, Hubba"
- A woman with a Daffy Duck-like lisp saying "Why Must They Always Ruin It!"
- A man saying "He's a Creep".
- A young man or hippie saying "If You Say So" and chuckles.

Also, I think I identified the Star Wars/Obi-Wan Kenobi quote as it was also used in yesterday's episode:
"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power."

Last edited:

disman00911

Just watched some old episodes of Svengoolie on Youtube. "Plan 9 from Outer Space" airing from around 2005 and "The Toxic Avenger" airing from 2002. Some of those commercials and WCIU bumpers take me back.

- A young woman or girl saying "Dude No Way!"
- A man saying "I didn't know what that means, do you?"
- A man saying "Good evening or should I say good morning."
- A man saying "Certainty Not", pronouncing it the way Curly from the 3 Stooges would.
- A man saying "What, are you drunk?"
- A man saying "You're Putting Me On"
- A man saying "Stop it, you savage."
- Dr. Scratchansniff from "Animaniacs" saying "Oh No-no-no-no!" It's likely from the episode/short "Drive Insane" as Yakko says "Oh-yes-yes-yes-yes!" right after it (as documented earlier, the Yakko clip was also a sound clip used on Svengoolie)
- A woman saying "Tori Spelling, duh!"
- A turned-on man saying "Ah-huh, yeah!" while chuckling (likely an original/exclusive sound clip for the show)
- The Brain saying "This is a pain that's going to linger" (Not sure if its from one of the shorts in "Animaniacs" or the spinoff "Pinky and the Brain")
- A man saying "You Used to Be Somebody, didn't ya? On TV."
- A man saying "That's an insult, you bucket of gas!"
- A man saying "Ah, speaking of the devil."
- A woman saying "What a toilet".
- A man saying "I'm pretty messed up, sir."
- A man saying "That's a good idea"
- A man saying "Well folks, that's gonna be a tough act to follow"
- "You Will Sit There and You Will Enjoy it" - Col. Klink from "Hogan's Heroes"
- A man saying "yes" (it's NOT the Brain from "Animaniacs"/"Pinky and the Brain". It sounded like the character Kojak, which reruns were airing on WCIU 26 at the time)
a man with a stutter-like voice saying "It makes me feel so good all over".
- A woman saying "Not bad for an old lady, huh?"
- A man in a parental warning saying "The footage you're about to see may not be suitable for younger viewers".
- A man saying "No, No, No."
- A man screaming "NO!!" (likely an original sound bite for the show)
- a man saying "Okie Doke" (likely an original sound bite for the show)
- A man saying "You Got a Point, there"
- An old woman saying "Oh yes Indeed-dy" (may also be a man using a woman's voice)
- A man saying "You're not gonna throw up, are ya?."
- A man saying "You got some explaning to do, rocky"
- A woman "Keep it moving, keep it show, keep out of the way of flying ice cream"
- A man saying "The Kid's a Stud"

Finally, can't believe I forgot about this one: A group of men booing or groaning. That sound clip is often used when Sven gets rubber chickens thrown at him after telling a bad joke or pun. It's likely an original/exclusive sound clip as it dates back to the "Son of Svengoolie" era.

I would be shocked if any of those I listed are actually identified from their original sources.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
- A man saying "Stop it, you savage."

- "You Will Sit There and You Will Enjoy it" - Col. Klink from "Hogan's Heroes"
1. I remember that line from at least one "Son of Svengoolie" clip:
2. I noted that there was a Col. Klink line during the Trilogy of Terror airing last year. Don't recall if that was it, though.

Meanwhile, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I remember hearing someone saying "Cut that out, boy" once (NOT Foghorn Leghorn).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today i learned that David Cronenberg (The Fly, Scanners) has a son who’s also a director and i saw a very psychedelic arthouse film made by him called Infinity Pool. I hope he becomes a more high profile director some day.

I wouldn’t recommend it to people who don’t watch arthouse movies though. It’s also very adult-oriented if you know what i mean
Update on the M&M's situation. He has reliable sources in this video.
Review Metabee wrote on DaGangOfToonz's profile.
is there any chance you are stoonsarchvie/sheetposter
Was "Xiaolin Chronicles" dubbed in both European Spanish and Latin American Spanish, like "Xiaolin Showdown"?
It's fun to see James Sie talk about Jackie Chan Adventures.

Featured Posts