Cartoon Network's (Upcoming) 30th Anniversary

Toonhead2002Ultra

What I'd do is bring back Cartoon Planet to air old shows (like they did in 2012) for their birth month. October would be around when CN usually gets 8pm back from Adult Swim so I think it would be a good spot for it. I also think CN's classic originals would be a cool lead in for Hank Hill and the rest of the Adult Swim gang. Obviously I'd like older shows on October 1st itself as well. If that doesn't happen then the CN section of twitter would burn to the ground and complain about TTG for the kazillionith time. An option I'd like not involving linear cable would be adding more CN shows to HBO Max like Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi, and Camp Lazlo. That's just me though.

Moe

1) Suspension of Cartoonito and Adult Swim

2) CN goes full retro channel for 1 month, based on 1992-1993 schedule.

3) Boomerang block in the morning

4) Super Adventures block in the afternoon

5) Classic shorts at night and after midnight

R Lopez

1) Suspension of Cartoonito and Adult Swim

2) CN goes full retro channel for 1 month, based on 1992-1993 schedule.

3) Boomerang block in the morning

4) Super Adventures block in the afternoon

5) Classic shorts at night and after midnight

They would never do any of this (they would especially never get rid of Adult Swim, since that's probably what's keeping the channel afloat), but they could do all of this on their website.

Better yet, it would be nice if HBO Max created playlists and/or streams to replicate the network's earliest days. It's all material that WarnerMedia owns (classic Looney Tunes, MGM and Popeye shorts; the Hanna-Barbera library).

In general, there's lots of stuff from the first decade of Cartoon Network that HBO Max is missing. And not just original series---I'm talking about things like "ToonHeads" and "Cartoon Planet" and specials like "The Flintstones: On the Rocks" and "Night of the Living Doo."

Moe

They would never do any of this (they would especially never get rid of Adult Swim for a month, since that's probably what's keeping the channel afloat), but they could do all of this on their website.
It was my sweet dream. :D

Better yet, it would be nice if HBO Max created playlists and/or streams to replicate the network's earliest days. It's all material that WarnerMedia owns (classic Looney Tunes, MGM and Popeye shorts; the Hanna-Barbera library).
Yes, WB needs to merge Boomerang streaming service with HBO Max like they did with video part of DC Universe.

In general, there's lots of stuff from the first decade of Cartoon Network that HBO Max is missing. And not just original series---I'm talking about things like "ToonHeads" and "Cartoon Planet" and specials like "The Flintstones: On the Rocks" and "Night of the Living Doo."
Yes, those are in WB vault for very long, long time.

Markus Nelis

It's pretty obvious they will celebrate it this year. Look at the shows they've been airing. That's the first taste and hyping up. You will see when they air more classic stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if they drop reruns of old/classic shows next year for another 5-10 years until they come back to celebrate their 40th anniversary.

R Lopez

It's pretty obvious they will celebrate it this year. Look at the shows they've been airing. That's the first taste and hyping up. You will see when they air more classic stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if they drop reruns of old/classic shows next year for another 5-10 years until they come back to celebrate their 40th anniversary.
I've just assumed that the older programs they've sprinkled into the schedule are "tests" to see how they do.

You know, networks generally don't like reminding people how old they are. Nickelodeon and MTV used to celebrate their big anniversaries, and then they stopped. If my memory is correct, they both stopped before reaching 30.

AnimatedFan01

What do you think are the odds of them airing any of their more obscure short-lived originals that never made it to the 2012 revival of Cartoon Planet? We can count out Symbiotic Titan, Generator Rex, Megas XLR, Class of 3000, and most likely all the live-action stuff. I'm not sure about Puffy; it was acknowledged in the 240 (?) characters video on CN's official Twitter, though I'm not sure if being acknowledged means they can still air it. Were any originals that got written off acknowledged in the OK KO! crossover special?

Last edited:

R Lopez

Were any originals that got written off acknowledged in the OK KO! crossover special?
Yes, "Megas XLR" and "Sym-Bionic Titan." But we on the outside shouldn't assume that we know exactly what a show being written-off means.

What do you think are the odds of them airing any of their more obscure short-lived originals that never made it to the 2012 revival of Cartoon Planet?
I mean, why would any network want to air programs that historically struggled to find success?

It'd be nice if they created a weekly slot in the schedule where they could run through their catalog of older series. They could even include "Destroy Build Destroy" and "Dude What Would Happen"---those lasted a few seasons.

Markus Nelis

I can see them celebrating the big 30 but just for one day in October. I don't expect a full month of celebration as they want to keep focusing on current shows, not the past. Also don't expect a lot of bumpers. Live feeds don't put effort nowadays as most people moved from cable tv.

jokerbeans2091

I can see them celebrating the big 30 but just for one day in October. I don't expect a full month of celebration as they want to keep focusing on current shows, not the past. Also don't expect a lot of bumpers. Live feeds don't put effort nowadays as most people moved from cable tv.

Or maybe the could celebrate on the weekend because their 30th anniversary falls on a Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jokerbeans2091

having low hopes for their 30th anniversary especially with whole girls graduate out of animation situation CN is in there are only 4 months left and yet they haven’t even acknowledged anything yet.

AnimatedFan01

having low hopes for their 30th anniversary especially with whole girls graduate out of animation situation CN is in there are only 4 months left and yet they haven’t even acknowledged anything yet.

Anyone who says CN never cared for their female audience is forgetting The Powerpuff Girls, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Juniper Lee, and Infinity Train. The second two may have flopped, but the other two were successful especially PPG.

AnimatedFan01

Important question: Do you think there's a chance that, if they do a marathon of their library in October, they'll air Squirrel Boy in honor of Everett Peck and make a bumper dedicated to him?

Peck is the first known Cartoon Network creator to die within the network's 30-year history, so it would seem disrespectful not to acknowledge him.

Now it would seem abrupt for them to air a 16-year-old show that only lasted one year and two seasons with 26 episodes (with a total of 52 segments) and hasn't been seen since 2009, and they didn't even air it (alongside several other short-lived CN originals) for their 20th anniversary during 2012 nor within the Cartoon Planet revival lineup, however since it would be for a special occasion and to show honor and respect to their first creator to pass, it definitely wouldn't be out of place.

Plus, Andy and Rodney did at least appear in the 20th anniversary video/poster and the latter made a cameo alongside several other CN characters in the OK KO! crossover.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts