Cartoon Network's library of cartoons

VeiledHat

Hi, um, I'm Moxy, and, uh, uh, that's Flea!
Cartoon Network holds the rights to many, many classic cartoons. The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Space Ghost, Birdman, etc. But they never play them. Instead, they opt to show Teen Titans Go a thousand times and play new shows I have no interest in. I don't even see their original cartoons from the Good Ol' Days (Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken) either.

It saddens me. Because Cartoon Network/Boomerang doesn't care anymore, Flintstones airs on MeTV now. Boomerang doesn't even play ANY classic cartoons anymore, save for the standard Looney Tunes/Tom & Jerry and Dexter, which airs in the dead of the night. I know we have the CN/Boomerang app, but it isn't the same compared to watching the shows on TV.

Whatever happened to "The Best Place for Cartoons"?

Mr HooPoe

I assume it has to do with how much CN evolved as a network. When it first started out, it was little more than a cheap network dedicated to airing old-school cartoons for 24 hours a day. But before the 1990's ended, they had already started evolving into a new kind of powerhouse, one that prided itself on making its own cartoons with its Cartoon Cartoon label. While they made Boomerang a separate channel (which in theory is a pretty great idea), the regular network started pigeonholing itself into a more modern and child-oriented environment. This got to a point where even Boomerang started airing newer shows because CN was presumably not going to air them.

I guess a channel like Boomerang was nowhere near enough space to occupy all the shows it could air despite it being created to avoid going the ways of making itself "CN 2". Hopefully, streaming for Boomerang might get plenty of the classic shows back to see. But I doubt the network will actually be able to be about old shows again considering how much younger it skews than it used to. Airing The Flintstones on a different network entirely seems like a surefire sign that the networks have given up on those shows.

Pray for streaming to pay tribute to those old shows, I guess.

TheJLeeTeam

Slacker Musketeer
Cartoon Network was the best place for cartoons back then when streaming didn’t exist. Soon HBO Max will be the best place for cartoons.

Mr HooPoe

Nick Rewind is not an apt comparison, as it worked for reasons specific to Nickelodeon as a whole. For one, Nick has a proper plan of releasing its media on home media. It could market the nostalgic value of its old shows and release them under that label. CN did something similar where they released 30 hours of content in one package based on four shows (there were two of these) but it seems hard to really follow through on that when it is all variety hour. Also, the shows themselves did not have much proper attention for home media as a whole. There are exceptions like Courage the Cowardly Dog but nowhere near enough to make it noteworthy.

Now for the block. 2011 was a good time for Nick to launch a whole block of 1990’s Nick shows, animated or otherwise, to give diehard fans the shows they wanted. CN is trickier on that front--and the reboot of Cartoon Planet in 2012, clearly meant to bank on the success of Nick Rewind, shows pretty much why. It could not keep its promise of sticking to old shows after about a year and caved in on itself by resorting to simply reruns of what was already on the network. It also limits itself to 7-minute and 11-minute episodes, leaving out chances of showing most episodes of Foster’s (only four were ever shown on the block) amidst other episodic shows. Even so, that is only really a few handful of shows left out like Sheep in the Big City or Megas XLR (it was written off later, I recall). Yet Cartoon Planet never really took much advantage of its catalogue and really limited itself to about half of the CN originals people would have expected from the 1990’s and 2000’s. (Okay, that might be an exaggeration, as it just reminded me that those shows were just ignored by and large.)

Probably should have said this first, but of course this was because Cartoon Planet was just an hour long block. Limiting yourself to only four different shows an hour is going to be a serious challenge for banking on nostalgia. It was also a weekly block to make matters worse. By contrast, Nick Rewind had hours of time for its shows to air--to the point of rerunning them the same night! And all throughout the week. This was also on a completely different channel separate from the main network. CN could only run it on its main network, and competing with primetime programs and [adult swim] was eventually going to give way to failure. It was rightfully axed by 2014.

I heard CN added some of its older shows on their On Demand service two years ago, too. Not sure how that worked out, as I barely heard about any other shows since.

At this point, though, it has to be streaming. Streaming is legitimately the one platform remaining for CN to take advantage of its classic catalogue. There is no way it can happen on the main network. Cartoon Planet tried and failed, and this was before the schedule got filtered down to specifically new shows. And Boomerang is just a graveyard at this point, beyond salvation. The upcoming HBO Max will be interesting to see if CN can put some of its pre-CN stuff and even its less-regarded shows on the network.

Low Spark of Lyman

Throw me a role, Jon.
I've said this before and I'll say it again (albeit differently): Lots of channels forsake variety nowadays, Cartoon Network was just late to the party. It was in 2015 or so that they became heavily reliant on Teen Titans Go! and (later) The Amazing World of Gumball.

Also, on the Cartoon Planet revival, I've read from an interview with Andy Merrill that the show's budget was the reason it didn't have George Lowe (and therefore no Space Ghost). I think that says something about it being underwhelming when it came to showcasing vintage CN shows.

AdrenalineRush1996

Nickelodeon has NickRewind. CN doesn't have anything.
As in the main channel showing the old stuff nowadays, not as in their sister channel showing said stuff nowadays since last time I checked, NickRewind is on TeenNick, not on Nickelodeon.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Lawrence Ferlinghetti, former Poet Laureate of San Francisco and publisher involved with Allen Ginsburg's Howl, has died at the age of 101.
I think I kno why Nicktoons brought back older shows, as well as NickRewind, I think it might have something to do with Tooned In. Tooned In is a trivia game show with Nickelodeon cartoons trivia questions.
New page on the RegularCapital Audiovisual Research Wiki: 4Kids Entertainment Nearly Launched A TV Channel In The UK 4Kids Entertainment Nearly Launched A TV Channel In The UK
Ricky Roxburgh, one of the writers for Monsters At Work, said how he isn't thrilled that the show didn't get mentioned that much in the article. He compares the situation to that of Tangled The Series (which he also worked on).

We do have Nickelodeon on netflix thread, I wonder why nobody is using it other than me? It was last active on Nov 2019

Featured Posts