Cartoon Network Studios Europe Renamed To Hanna Barbera Studios Europe

harry580

In my opinion, the studio's name should be "Hanna-Barbera/Ruby-Spears Studios Europe". How about the idea?
they can't do that because ruby spears was split off from Hanna Barbera into its own studio and a company named rs holdings, but ruby spears I believe went bankrupted and later closed in 1996, the ruby spears productions library and ip before the Hanna Barbera and ruby spears split are remained and folded into Hanna Barbera while Joe ruby and ken spears remained the name of the studio, now the two gone, I don't what happen to the trademark ruby spears productions name

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Yeah, the swirling star is my favorite. Given that they officially retired the brand the moment both Bill and Joe were dead, I never expected to see it again. I don't know what the point would be of just making the change in Europe. Makes me wonder if WB doesn't see Cartoon Network as their future and are reverse-branding in preparation for streaming.
Although the Europe studio was famous for, well, Gumball, Elliot and a pile of pilots, and if it doesn't do much, I suspect this means something is in the planning

harry580

Although the Europe studio was famous for, well, Gumball, Elliot and a pile of pilots, and if it doesn't do much, I suspect this means something is in the planning
maybe they going to use the new Hanna Barbera studio to produce shows based on Hanna Barbera ips (maybe gumball and Elliot production moves to the American Cartoon Network studios?)

TolerableDruid6

this all seems like a very weird and random change to make, feels like they're doing this solely so they can use Studios Europe as a way to pump out generic "boomerang originals" and HB reboots, in fact i wouldn't be surprised if they continue to use the cn studios europe name on gumball movie/elliot (they kinda already use different aliases for things anyway)

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
I hope we are getting more Elliott and hope they might be giving the European studio more to do, it would be interesting to see what else they can make.

harry580

I hope we are getting more Elliott and hope they might be giving the European studio more to do, it would be interesting to see what else they can make.
since this new name is Hanna Barbera, they would do shows based on Hanna Barbera ips and maybe continued to make gumball and Elliott (if the Cartoon Network studios europe become a name in only division of Hanna Barbera)

Vuxovich

they can't do that because ruby spears was split off from Hanna Barbera into its own studio and a company named rs holdings, but ruby spears I believe went bankrupted and later closed in 1996, the ruby spears productions library and ip before the Hanna Barbera and ruby spears split are remained and folded into Hanna Barbera while Joe ruby and ken spears remained the name of the studio, now the two gone, I don't what happen to the trademark ruby spears productions name
Given the fact they mainly worked with New York City-based distribution companies (mainly with Bohbot Entertainment), I think the reason why Ruby-Spears was split off from Hanna-Barbera was likely because the Ruby-Spears animation studio moved to New York before Turner could buy them. The reason for this was due to the change of the Hollywood animation industry's system. Ruby-Spears later reorganized itself as a New York-based film-and-television production company and not as a new animation studio (contrary to popular belief). How about my theory?

RegularCapital

To be fair, CNSE/HBSE is the younger studio and wasn't meant to be CN's main studio. I believe the creation of the actual Great Marlborough studio (not the development studio that preceded it) was to take advantage of UK tax breaks in animation from 2013 (most of Gumball's production except for the exec. producers and writing staff was done in Ireland (again tax breaks) and Germany before that date) and also to develop a show that's high quality but also meets EU quotas, of which UK productions are still valid towards that quota even after Brexit. From what I remember Ireland was planning to scrap animation tax breaks (along with other media tax breaks) or reduce them due to the Euro crisis in the earlier part of last decade.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Makes me wonder if WB doesn't see Cartoon Network as their future and are reverse-branding in preparation for streaming.
They do. I think all kids shows on HBO Max are under the CN brand except Sesame Street? (not sure, I don't have HBO Max)

RegularCapital

harry580

RegularCapital

As mentioned on the CN International Thread:

Vanessa Brookman, head of kids, EMEA has named Sarah Fell as director of original series, EMEA, at the recently rebranded London-based Hanna-Barbera Studios Europe. Sarah Fell was a producer on The Amazing World of Gumball and The Heroic Quest of the Valiant Prince Ivandoe. She was already director of original series at Cartoon Network Studios Europe and will continue the role at HBSE.

Sarah Fell will report to both Brookman and Sam Register, president of Warner Bros Animation and Cartoon Network Studios, who co-lead Hanna-Barbera Studios Europe.

Last edited:

harry580

I wonder Warnermedia can relaunch Hanna Barbera studios in the usa maybe as a division of Cartoon Network studios or Cartoon Network studios becomes a divison of Hanna Barbera studios usa if Hanna Barbera studios gets relaunch in the usa

harry580

I gotta say, when I first saw the title, I thought it was an April Fools' Day thread that somehow didn't get locked yet.

Seriously, who predicted this? Anyone?
well, since this the 20th anniversary of Hanna Barbera going out of business, warner bros wanted to revive the name to honor the original studio that was closed back in 2001

I wonder what next? disney reviving blue sky studios 10 years later but in Asia or Latin America?

Low Spark of Lyman

well, since this the 20th anniversary of Hanna Barbera going out of business, warner bros wanted to revive the name to honor the original studio that was closed back in 2001

I wonder what next? disney reviving blue sky studios 10 years later but in Asia or Latin America?
Oh? I was leaning towards desperation on the reasoning.

Blue Sky Studios? Who knows, at this rate.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Bringing back Touchstone makes sense, since that was just a name, going by memory.

How can they bring back HB studios? A studio’s more than a name; it’s the people who work there, their shared culture. With HB shut down 20 years ago that no longer exists.

harry580

Bringing back Touchstone makes sense, since that was just a name, going by memory.
I agreed, disney started touchstone as a label to have pg 13 and r rated films on it
How can they bring back HB studios? A studio’s more than a name; it’s the people who work there, their shared culture. With HB shut down 20 years ago that no longer exists.
maybe because Hanna Barbera survived as a in name only so maybe Warner Bros thought the potential Hanna Barbera has so they bought it back

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I noticed Friends promo are back AGAIN for nick@nite same from last year that using repetitively, but this time says "every nite"
Happy Birthday, Justin Felbinger
How come nobody made SpongeBob talk back? It's currently airing new episodes every Fridays
Since I'm in New Hampshire, there's snow outside today.

Featured Posts