Can the surprise release model work for TV shows/movies?

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
The surprise release is not new to the music industry. Pioneered by Radiohead back in 2007, multiple artists have attempted to release new material in this manner with varying degrees of success, but the model undoubtedly works for household names like Beyonce, David Bowie, and Eminem. Do you think this model could also work for TV shows or movies? For instance, let's say that Stranger Things' fourth season, or whatever cartoon example you could think of that would drum up that much hype, pops up out of nowhere with no prior announcement, would that be a viable marketing strategy?

PS: Random TV app dumps don't count.

Last edited:

5YearsOnEastCoast

Well people would watch it, but I am not sure if more of them will watch with the surprise announcment, but I am sure that people will heavily backlash because that streaming service didn't tell them at all. People want to have a time to watch shows or movies they are interested in and they like it when there is a release date, and when they suddenly drop them, it infuriates people.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Well people would watch it, but I am not sure if more of them will watch with the surprise announcment, but I am sure that people will heavily backlash because that streaming service didn't tell them at all.
I think that depends more on the quality of the product and word-of-mouth. Netflix did this with The Cloverfield Paradox a couple years ago with a freaking Super Bowl ad that aired just hours before it was released, but the movie turned out to be crap so I don't know how well it did in terms of viewership.
People want to have a time to watch shows or movies they are interested in and they like it when there is a release date, and when they suddenly drop them, it infuriates people.
I can understand with shows, but it's generally easier to make time for movies so I don't think it should be that infuriating.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's not feasible for a production with hundreds of people working on it. A band of five and their producer can keep a secret like that. An entire TV production cannot.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
It's not feasible for a production with hundreds of people working on it. A band of five and their producer can keep a secret like that. An entire TV production cannot.
The project itself doesn't have to be secret. People already knew there was gonna be a 3rd Cloverfield movie, but no one knew when it was gonna come out until the day it was released.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
They already kind of do this. Most Netflix shows are complete mysteries until a few weeks before release.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
They already kind of do this. Most Netflix shows are complete mysteries until a few weeks before release.
Yeah but a few weeks is still a long enough time for the audience to "prepare". It gives a different sensation when a project's release catches us completely off guard.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts