Can the surprise release model work for TV shows/movies?

Latest News & Videos

Radiant97

gaming
Feb 3, 2018
your mom's basement
The surprise release is not new to the music industry. Pioneered by Radiohead back in 2007, multiple artists have attempted to release new material in this manner with varying degrees of success, but the model undoubtedly works for household names like Beyonce, David Bowie, and Eminem. Do you think this model could also work for TV shows or movies? For instance, let's say that Stranger Things' fourth season, or whatever cartoon example you could think of that would drum up that much hype, pops up out of nowhere with no prior announcement, would that be a viable marketing strategy?

PS: Random TV app dumps don't count.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
Well people would watch it, but I am not sure if more of them will watch with the surprise announcment, but I am sure that people will heavily backlash because that streaming service didn't tell them at all. People want to have a time to watch shows or movies they are interested in and they like it when there is a release date, and when they suddenly drop them, it infuriates people.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Radiant97

gaming
Feb 3, 2018
your mom's basement
Well people would watch it, but I am not sure if more of them will watch with the surprise announcment, but I am sure that people will heavily backlash because that streaming service didn't tell them at all.
I think that depends more on the quality of the product and word-of-mouth. Netflix did this with The Cloverfield Paradox a couple years ago with a freaking Super Bowl ad that aired just hours before it was released, but the movie turned out to be crap so I don't know how well it did in terms of viewership.
People want to have a time to watch shows or movies they are interested in and they like it when there is a release date, and when they suddenly drop them, it infuriates people.
I can understand with shows, but it's generally easier to make time for movies so I don't think it should be that infuriating.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
It's not feasible for a production with hundreds of people working on it. A band of five and their producer can keep a secret like that. An entire TV production cannot.

Radiant97

gaming
Feb 3, 2018
your mom's basement
It's not feasible for a production with hundreds of people working on it. A band of five and their producer can keep a secret like that. An entire TV production cannot.
The project itself doesn't have to be secret. People already knew there was gonna be a 3rd Cloverfield movie, but no one knew when it was gonna come out until the day it was released.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Canada
They already kind of do this. Most Netflix shows are complete mysteries until a few weeks before release.

Radiant97

gaming
Feb 3, 2018
your mom's basement
They already kind of do this. Most Netflix shows are complete mysteries until a few weeks before release.
Yeah but a few weeks is still a long enough time for the audience to "prepare". It gives a different sensation when a project's release catches us completely off guard.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm one of those people that's more familiar with Sonic's arch-enemy being called "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" rather than "Eggman".

As I mentioned, Melanie Minichino should definitely sing more.
it is kinda weird how despite Frozen being the highest grossing animated movie until Lion King 2019, there were no mainstream animated movies that tried to copy it, or at least accused of copying Frozen. I wonder why?
Just letting you guys know: I'm changing my username in two weeks. It's similar to the original, but a bit more wordy.
Asa
The last time a new SpongeBob premiered before KCA's was in March 2017.