Can Nickelodeon experience a Live-action Renaissance?

Rex Kamex

I don't trust Nickelodeon to make live-action again. Their live-action renaissance ended in the late 90s. Nowadays, they just essentially copy the Disney Channel formula of bad kidcoms.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. (I'm not currently saying I agree or disagree here.)

They don't even try to do anything unique.

I really don't understand what you mean by this, though.

With Legends of the Hidden Temple, they made a TV movie out of one of their earlier game shows. With Legendary Dudas, it was a fictional series, but they had made it a mockumentary-like show with a confessional cam (like reality TV shows often use).

With Henry Danger, they made a show by Dan Schneider where none of the leads were already well-known Nick actors from other shows Dan Schneider was involved with. Also, Nick's Ho Ho Holiday Special of last year had a storyline with various various current/recent Nick actors involved, with more Nick actors doing different sketches and songs during part of the special.

Not trying to suggest these were all the most amazing ideas or that they were all executed well, and I'm not trying to suggest Nick should be satisfied with how things are currently going with their live action material, but Nick has been doing things they either haven't done before or haven't done in a long time.

If they're rebooting animation there's no reason they couldn't reboot live action. They already brought back Hidden Temple. Why couldn't Clarissa be next? She'd be perfect. Aren't Kenan & Kel supposed to be back in some form? And what if they brought back Afraid of Dark? All three could do well I think. Plus Disney is doing it. Although new original ideas would be preferred.

Kel is a series regular in Game Shakers, so I feel that the earliest pair up of him and Kenan on Nickelodeon would happen in that series. Not sure whenever the two will be involved with something again, but there was a Tonight Show Goodburger sketch last year and a Fandango commercial with both Kenan and Kel in it. (Kenan plays a particular character in multiple Fandango commercials.)

Last edited:

kanc

Kenan has busy at SNL for over a decade. I doubt he'd want to come back.

Not sure about Kel, though.
Kel Mitchell is currently in Game Shakers as someone already pointed out

Rex Kamex

There was some interview I saw sometime back that had Kel mention him and Dan Schneider thinking of ways Kenan could play a character on Game Shakers. (Haven't found it again so far...) That said, they didn't confirm anything, and Kenan might not ever be in a Game Shakers episode. That said, that's the most likely show I'd see a Kenan & Kel reunion in one of Nick's current shows.

If they're rebooting animation there's no reason they couldn't reboot live action. They already brought back Hidden Temple. Why couldn't Clarissa be next? She'd be perfect. Aren't Kenan & Kel supposed to be back in some form? And what if they brought back Afraid of Dark? All three could do well I think. Plus Disney is doing it. Although new original ideas would be preferred.

Why Clarissa? I'm not saying I think it's wrong- I'm not exactly sure what you had in mind- a show that includes an adult Clarissa, or a show with a new young Nick star playing Clarissa?

Can TeenNick air reruns the 2000's shows?

Which of those shows are you talking about? TeenNick airs shows like Drake & Josh and Zoey 101, at least, but I'm not sure which shows you had in mind.

Micahel Cataldo

Which of those shows are you talking about? TeenNick airs shows like Drake & Josh and Zoey 101, at least, but I'm not sure which shows you had in mind.

I meant the other 2000's and 2010's shows that TeenNick should air reruns of.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Why Clarissa? I'm not saying I think it's wrong- I'm not exactly sure what you had in mind- a show that includes an adult Clarissa, or a show with a new young Nick star playing Clarissa?

It's a 90s favorite and I think the show's premise can work even today and translate well. It doesn't even have to be called Clarissa for that matter, although it might be better off if it was. And I meant a new cast for sure. The original is just too old at this point to appear in anything, really. Maybe a cameo, but that's about it. Like finding an old diary or something and then tracking down Clarissa in the finale. Then again, not sure how long it could go on. Most reboots are forgettable. Maybe a holiday special of some sort would work best.

Nick Mick

Now forget and be content ♥
My problem is that Nick's current Live action material is just too homogenized. It's the same problem Disney had with their Live-action shows. The Thundermans, Game Shakers, Henry Danger, School of Rock, all feel like they're just the same show just with different settings and premises, and two of those aren't even from Dan Schneider. Compare this to Ned's Declassified, Pete and Pete, Drake and Josh, Eddie McDowd, Alex Mack of the past. They may not have all been winners, but each show at least had a specific style to it. Most of the newer shows all just feel interchangeable. They're not the worst things on TV, they're just lazy and unfunny.
I wouldn't really call the Nickelodeon sitcoms the worst thing on TV. I actually like The Thundermans and Haunted Hathaways, andd...... maybe Nicky ricky dicky and dawn. Yeah, aside from them, nothing is really good. There are mediocre shows now, like Knight Squad, which is a perfect example of a homogenized show, as everyone in it doesn't act at all like how a medieval times person would (I'm not saying they should imitate them, but they should be inspired by them to make the characters the least bit standing out), and Nicky Ricky Dicky and Dawn, as while it has a really standing out premise, the acting is all over the places, and the main characters sometimes, act like really mean jerks, for the sake of learning something, anything (though when they have fun like in that Hollywood special, I have also fun). And terrible shows, such as Marvin Marvin, which unlike its also creative premise, has a execution so poor, it can certainly be described as the genocide of television (especially those jokes, they are an insult to human brain, and that's no overexaggeration), and School of Rock, which not only has some differences from the movie (which is the least bit of its problems), but also REALLY FORCED jokes, including screaming and yelling, making some of the almost non-existent character development completely ruined.

If there's ONE solitary live-action show currently airing on Nick international stations at least, is Hunter Street. It has a well storyline, plus a lot of character development, and that mystery feel that give vibes from House of Anubis (from the people who made Hunter Street), and Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events. Too sad it proves that if you have to be a successful Nick US show, you don't only need to be live-action, but to also have that stupid laugh track.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts