Cafe Toon Zone: Rules and FAQ

Supreme

Just a couple of things to point out regarding the new faq/TOS:
No misquotations or misrepresentations of other members. This is considered libel.
This does not apply to (most) message board settings, especially ones like these. Since we are basically characters in a play (anonymous, fake names), there is no direct inference. There also has to be proof of loss or damage.

A couple of links about it
use of derogatory terms
Online personas exclusion

No irritating posting styles, including use of all caps and excessive punctuation.
Would this include some members' use of shockingly contrasting colors for their post text? That's more irritating than "excessive punctuation".

EinBebop

Data Dog
Supreme said:
Would this include some members' use of shockingly contrasting colors for their post text? That's more irritating than "excessive punctuation".
Whatever do you mean????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick K.

i yapped all over the dcau thread, and now i read the rules lol. helpful thread here. i need to come down. shame on me... :shame:

Shnay

Ne'er-Do-Well
Post count threads are getting closed very quickly these days (and with good reason). I know the policy has always been that they are "frowned upon," but if we're going to close them, why not just make "No post count threads" a rule of this board?

(Edit: Okay, but don't come crying to me when half the replies on the next post count thread are "This is stupid" and the other half are "One more post for me!")

comicart

This thread up to date?

Just checking to see if this thread is up to date. It's the first place I looked before announcing a Toon-related art update.

Then I was called a SPAMMER and the thread was shut down.

Not nice(?)

T

Harley

Embarassment Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
No problem. Glad I could help.

I wouldn't take it too personally, he didn't call you a spammer. I read that same post and he said that particular post was spam... which, is an accurate description within the rules. By no means a judgement of your personality or intent.

I'm off to go make pretty things. Merry Easter to all.

Passepartout

Jean Passepartout
Nightflower said:
Rune's right. It means if you have a different point of view, try to persuade other people in a reasonable and rational manner on why you think you're right. Basically, don't write things like "You're wrong, you suck!" and not offer any arguments to back up why you think the other person is wrong.
We need to respect and do what the moderator tells us and whatever Maxius tells us to do goes and rules whether we like it or not!! What happens if a kid under twelve read some filth and his or her parents would have a field day making a big fuss over the foul language.

SlyBoy

Mary Poppins is an alcoholic
Passepartout said:
We need to respect and do what the moderator tells us and whatever Maxius tells us to do goes and rules whether we like it or not!! What happens if a kid under twelve read some filth and his or her parents would have a field day making a big fuss over the foul language.

Some of the "light" swears like the h-word and the d-word get by, but words like the f-word and the s-word are automatically filtered out.

Toss

Beware my non-existant neck!
EinBebop said:
This is my 808th post.
That was ridiculous. I know because I am beginning a message board and I would not like my members outright defying my wishes. (Not that they ever would. My girls are good girls;) )

SE V6

This site has too much moderation. I am members of other Professional sites(I mean like i'm a member at the michael crichton/road n' track fourms) and the moderators aren't so strict and so professional. Like I started a new thread sayin' i was new and stuff and it was deleted and moved to comin and goin. And guess what, NO ONE EVEN WELCOMED ME. I'm a member at over 10 different message boards and at most every fourms people have welcomed me. NO ONE EVEN LOOKS AT COMING AND GOING. FO REAL. Why can't you just make any ole' thread as long as it on topic of the section? I mean just look at this site. All the threads all professional lookin'. That's a good thing but you should be allowed to make a thread if you're new. Why does it matter wether someone has returned or is leaving? Why can't they just state that in one of their last or first post the make before comin or leaving? FO REAL. Who owns this site? I wanna have a talk with them. Thanks you for your time.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
We often have over 100 new members every week. If even a smaller percentage of them decided to make threads that were nothing more than to announce they were new, it would be a lot of similar threads on the board. It may work on other boards, but we just have too many people here.

Shnay

Ne'er-Do-Well
Birthday threads

I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not, but I think there should be some guidelines regarding birthday threads. Sometimes, there will be four or five birthday threads on the front page, which I think we can agree is too much clutter. Another issue is that, since birthday threads are left up to the posters, there are people who feel bad if nobody makes a thread for them, which isn't good.

What if we were to have a monthly thread dedicated to birthdays? For example, there could be a "August Birthdays 2004" thread that people could pop into any time to say "I just wanted to wish these people a happy birthday" or "Hey, it's my birthday, I'm this old today," etc. This way, it's all contained in one thread, and nobody gets left out.

However, there is a possibility of people spamming it. Someone could pop in everyday to give birthday wishes in order to pad their postcount. But I think it should be evident who is being genuine and who is just there for "post count +1."

So, that's my suggestion. Let me know what you all think.

Delthayre

Retired
No one loves you, deal with it

I'm really just happy with the threads as is. The clutter doesn't seem, to my recollection, as bad as you mention, but I'm often oblivious. The only thing that I don't like is people starting they're own birthday threads. But that's because it offends my sensibilities more than anything else.

Besides, a general birthdays thread just wouldn't feel right.

It's the "Hi I'm New" threads that really bother me. I don't see any need for them or find any worth in them.

the Amanda

Rogue Alchemist
I don't really see why there should be any "Hi, I'm new" OR "birthday" threads, either as a generalized single thread or (worse) individual threads.

Right now "Hi, I'm new" is supposed to be consolidated into "Intros, Comings & Goings," which at least reduces board clutter. There tends to be almost nothing to say in response to a "hi, I'm new" besides a couple of members "Hi, welcome to Toon Zone." If someone wants to make their presence known, they should post some good stuff.

"Birthday" threads are generally more amusing as people come up with funny greetings/fake presents/fake parties, but can quickly get sickening. Especially if everybody including 10-post noobs wants them. Birthday wishes can be PM'd.

Thus, I say "BAH!" to all your useless greetings and conventions. :p

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts