Cable providers advertising R-rated stuff during kids' shows

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
Cable providers tend to plaster their own/other ads/promos over certain ads/promos that most kids' cable networks show (for just 1 min. of every half-hour, and it seems that the cable providers can just advertise whatever they want during that 1 minute, even if it IS on a kids' cable channel). I have DirecTV, and this evening, when I watched Cartoon Network, DirecTV plastered over some ads with an ad for an R-rated film from DirecTV Cinema called "Inside Game", right before CN became Adult Swim. A similar thing happened with Disney XD, where DirecTV showed an ad for another R-rated film during Yo-Kai Watch back in 2018. Years earlier in 2015, on that same network, DirecTV mistakenly showed the first few seconds of an Adam and Eve infomercial, before it got cut off and Avengers Assemble came back on. In 2010, on Discovery Family, which was still the then-new Hub Network and didn't show TV-14 stuff until the renaming, DirecTV showed an ad for yet ANOTHER R-rated film, Sex and the City 2, which had become available on DTV Cinema at the time. Has YOUR cable provider done something like these?

Last edited:

Onfy

Canadian cable channels don't have local ad spots, but a few American channels (like TLC and Paramount) which of course do are distributed here. On my end the ads always seem to be for Rogers on Demand. Which is weird... because I don't have Rogers.

There is a bit of a weird variant on this for Quebec. Since advertising to children is illegal in Quebec, channels like Télétoon (the French one) which have ads anyway carry exclusively adult-targeted ads, including for things like beer. That's slightly weird.

On occasion the kid channels here have been known to air some strangely-chosen ads after the watershed when there's fewer rules, especially late at night when kids aren't likely to be awake. Here's a complaint the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council received about an ad for an adult phone line that aired during Batman: TAS on Teletoon Retro. https://www.cbsc.ca/decisionsarchive/20-1011/20-1011-1669_PD_E.pdf

Reactions: RDG

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
On Boomerang, I just saw a commercial for HBO Max, which advertised nearly everything that will appear on there, (yes, the ad shown on BOOMERANG even showed stuff like Game of Thrones and Rick and Morty); not sure if it was my cable provider's (DIRECTV) doing or Boomerang's.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts