C&C - Tuca & Bertie - Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Perla Magica

Digital Love
S03E06 "Screech Leeches"

Very interesting episode this week.

We've got an origin story of Bertie's goth phase we saw briefly in "Corpse Week".

Bertie's teenage life was really harsh, her parents didn't helped her after what happened in The Jelly Leaks, her group of high school friends make fun of her trauma, and worst of all, her first best friend - Muriel, who helped her find confidence in goth phase turned out to be a jerk.

It's interesting that Bertie used to be bisexual, it seems like she had a crush on Muriel when they kissed. To be honest, I feel bad for Bertie when Muriel brutally said to her that she was never her true best friend.

Bertie is very lucky to have Tuca as her truest best friend.

Bertie ditched her goth phase, Muriel who's now a successful horror movie director and a mom of a kid who looks like her didn't ditched her goth phase. There's the difference.

Nice to see Bertie's therapist again, it's been a long time since her last appearance in season two's finale.

Tuca is really good at basketball, her B-plot stories are unusually fun in general.

That Speckle cameo in the middle of the episode. Funny.

Most important lesson today: never do shoplifting. 8/10

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A literal therapist hat. ha!

Tuca's "bonding" with her brother. heh. lmao, the nurse. I don't care! :D

Love them lampooning the stupid high school career test. And Speckle's cameo. :D

But yeah, had a feeling Bertie's teen years were that. All the more reinforces Tuca's importance.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Considering they only gave him one line last week, I guess it's only fair

Episode 3.7: "A Very Speckle Episode"
Being an architect is tough and Speckle is close to losing it; Tuca dips into astrology and goes hard.

Midnight tonight, HBO Max tomorrow.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I always saw Bertie as more of a cactus.

Just don't start doing spirit animals. That's cultural appropriation.

You know what they say about tiny beaks.

Yeah, make it more like a prison!

It is difficult for me to believe that a plant has a gift of prophesy.

I AM JOR-EL, MASTER OF GOVERNMENT BUDGETING!

Good to see Aaron is getting some help.

Tuca's dating the Easter Bunny.

No más moss.

New tenants will be rated on Facebook on a scale of 1 to 10.

Don't get captured, Speckle.

Dammit Aaron, at least Fred is proud of being a turkey!

"I'm a cliff-hanger!"
Hopefully not the one with Sylvester Stallone and John Lithgow.

A sharp white candy knife to stick in her back.

And she only drinks orange juice and watches Nickelodeon.

Don't forget to empty the bag on that worry vacuum.

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
You know....some of the meetings we saw tonight are probably not unlike the conversations Lisa Hanawalt is going to have with David Zaslav to attempt getting her show renewed.

Zaslav: "Now, is it true what I've been hearing -- that this show is about WOMEN? Because women don't watch cartoons. Ever. Trust me, I'm 103 years old, I know these things."
Hanawalt: "Oh, well, uh.....it's actually about....BIRDS!"
Zaslav: "Oh, okay, I see it now. Wait, aren't birds kind of a girly thing? You don't see many weightlifters keeping pet birds around."
Hanawalt: "Oh no! The Rock has, like, 150 birds!"
Zaslav: "I didn't know that. Okay, fourth season approved."
Hanawalt starts to exit the room but then turns around: "And....you're too lazy to look that up, right?"
Zaslav: "No, I never look anything up, I don't own an encyclopedia."
Hanawalt: "Phew."

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Poor Speckle cracked. Too bad his new friend couldn't have been a normal person and not a jerk with a weird perversion.

I loved that Tuca did all that just to reaffirm she was right along.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
S03E07 "A Very Speckle Episode"

Finally a Speckle-centric episode! And oh, boy... It's kinda chaotically fun.

I know that his job has a lot of stress and I kinda knew it was a matter of time when he goes crazy somehow in the end. I really started to worry about Speckle.

Cliff is kind of a toxic owl guy, I already dislike him.

I want to try the strawbeggy omelette, even though it doesn't look delicious.

I liked the ending where Bertie helps Speckle with the worry vacuum. It was really sweet.

As for the B-plot, it's cool that Tuca tries get into new relationships, but choosing an giant pink Easter Bunny is a weird choice. And the way Tuca turned orange after she drank too much orange juice is kinda funny.

Wish that Draca could speak more in the show. 8/10

You know....some of the meetings we saw tonight are probably not unlike the conversations Lisa Hanawalt is going to have with David Zaslav to attempt getting her show renewed.

Zaslav: "Now, is it true what I've been hearing -- that this show is about WOMEN? Because women don't watch cartoons. Ever. Trust me, I'm 103 years old, I know these things."
Hanawalt: "Oh, well, uh.....it's actually about....BIRDS!"
Zaslav: "Oh, okay, I see it now. Wait, aren't birds kind of a girly thing? You don't see many weightlifters keeping pet birds around."
Hanawalt: "Oh no! The Rock has, like, 150 birds!"
Zaslav: "I didn't know that. Okay, fourth season approved."
Hanawalt starts to exit the room but then turns around: "And....you're too lazy to look that up, right?"
Zaslav: "No, I never look anything up, I don't own an encyclopedia."
Hanawalt: "Phew."
Funny stuff... but seriously now, I hope Tuca & Bertie gets renewed for another season, there's no way that Zaslav could took this fun bird show from us.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Another holiday episode?

If this is anything like Moulting Day or Corpse Week, it might be fun. And maybe also stressful.

Episode 3.8: "Fledging Day"
Bertie might have some mommy issues! Tuca coaches Speckle through a tough transitional life stage.

Watch it tonight at midnight, or (while you still can) tomorrow on HBO Max.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
So it's a Mother's Day-ish episode this year.

They just made up this holiday to sell flowes and greeting cards.

Without Corpse Week, we'd be hearing Moulting Day carols in August.

"Two non-barf meals coming right up. ...you disgust me."

He's unemployed, not unemployable.

M is for the many times I disappoint you
O is for the other times I disappoint you...

Forget Fledging Day, we need a Fledgling Day.

Dooo-do-do-do, do do, do do, can't touch this.

Ahhhhh this is so relaxing WHERE'S MY DAMN GRANDCHILDREN?!

I hope that soup's not creamed.

From zero to awkward in tenty seconds.

Surprisingly, that ISN'T the grossest thing I've heard or seen tonight.

That went better than expected.

Madre de dios, dude.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
S03E08 "Fledging Day"

So, this is the show's way to celebrate Mother's Day? Alright, understandable.

It's not easy trying to get along with your mother, but seeing Bertie bonding with her mom was really sweet. That's something that we wanted to see in this season and it worked.

Bertie's mom's past love interest is dying yet he's being very horny. Very awkward.

The B-plot is quite funny. Speckle wants to find a new job after getting fired in previous episode, but Tuca makes him a slacker instead. With all items left at home (a skateboard, a guitar, karate suit and Spanish book), he finds a new hobby as a stage singer. Interesting how Speckle learned Spanish so quickly, even if he didn't know its' words' meaning.

It's kinda sad seeing Tuca trying to have a distraction to avoid Fledging Day since her mom passed away. She even says how she has no one to help her out with her health issues. It was nice from Speckle to say that he cares for her as a friend.

Anyway... Figgy's back! It's been a long time since we saw what happened to him. It's a good thing that he apologies to Tuca. I'm really hoping things between them will get better.

This season is slowly getting good. 8/10

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Man, this was hilarious. It makes me sad it's a show Discovery owns and will probably throw away for being too good.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It was nice to see Bertie and her mom reach common ground. No child is ever ready to overhear someone talk dirty to their parent.

Tuca trying to teach Speckle to be a slacker. :D Loved it when the super long Tuca arm came back into slap Speckle's hand. lmao.

While totally cynical and bit too true, the nurse telling Tuca how progressively harder it will be to get another prescription was a hoot. Or her taping a recording of the tour to the duck. Hope those tourists and the duck are ok... And getting depressing that Tuca still has the ongoing cramp problem and distracted herself to avoid thinkinh about her late mother. Are they going to wait until season finale for the solution to her health ails? I agree it was interesting to see Figgy again and for him to apologize.

The dying cardinal and his butt wish. So OMG. And the tag with the double ice cream cone, so ugh.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Seeing Speckle derailed as a character like this is making me worried about the future of this show / disappointed in this show, honestly. WBD holding an axe over this when improvements can be made like they did to mah boy Final Space (just so they can push more REALITY TV BRAINWASHING on us, BTW!) ain't helping matters. Also, seeing Tuca be meaner than usual (especially to Speckle, which started at Episode 5 of Season 3) only adds to that worry/disappointment for me, at the end of the day.

This show can do better, IMHO. And I want it to - because it deserves to keep going and keep on actually getting better, dammit. If any show deserves an axe to itself about now, it's definitely not THIS, nor did Final Space deserve such a fate, to go off on that tangent again for a moment.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Two episodes tonight, and I have reason to believe the season finale is one of them.

I am hopeful this gets renewed, but I'm worried we may have to convince the new management that it's worth renewing.

Maybe tell them it's actually a reality show about wedding cakes.
Or rewrite Tuca to weigh 600 pounds.
Or give Bertie and Speckle a family with 37 kids.

I'm sure they'll think of something.

Speaking of weddings, families, and other depressing stuff...first:

Episode 3.9: "Somebirdy's Getting Married"
There's a wedding in Bird Town, which means being forced to mingle with ex-lovers while dressed in fancy attires.

Then:

Episode 3.10: "The Mole"
Tuca's in trouble and Bertie has to dive deep to understand how to help her; Speckle does some wild stuff too.

Watch them tonight at midnight or tomorrow on HBODiscoveryMaxPlus or whatever it is now.

(Whatever happened to making shows because people liked them? TV networks can't survive on cheap ratings grabs, that's how we got "CN Real", for crying out loud...)

Last edited:

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
"Somebirdy's Getting Married":

Speckle's totally relatable. I was bouncing around temp jobs after I left college, and the lack of income made me feel useless at times.
It's not always cool to get gift cards for Christmas. Especially if they're for gas and groceries.

LOOK! A WEDDING! IT HAS WEDDINGS! RENEW THIS, DISCOVERY PEOPLE!

We all know where you want to plant your roots.

I remember hearing about a club consisting of first wives. Diane, Bette and Goldie were nasty.

Temptation.

Seems they'll let just about anybody in this place.

We didn't come to start no trouble. We're just here to do the awkward ex shuffle.

You're not eligible to be a member. Yet.

Childhood sweetheart. Coming out of the closet. A building fetish. And that thing that happened recently.

And I thought Rowan Atkinson made bad wedding speeches.

Nobody asks the lizard if he wants to be a part of this.

Looking at the world through addiction-colored glasses.

So are you broken up or not?

So are you back together or not?

Great wedding, guys.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
"The Mole":

Not everyone's into ASMR, Bertie. I find it annoying when I hear people chew out loud.

He needs to work on his bedside manner.

Stop talking about being in and out in a jiffy, please.

Come along and ride on a craptastic voyage.

I'm flashing back to the Aunt Flo cartoon from Wonder Showzen.

I'm on a horse. I mean a bird.

Of course there's a Bertie shrine.

Urine too deep.

"Bad penguin."

So many callbacks in this one.

Life is more important than childbirth. No matter what certain people say.

Figgy's shaking like a leaf right now.

For a moment there I thought Tuca was going to breastfeed.

This show needs a season four yesterday.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The tempo had to be fixed. lol.

Lotta exes, Speckle.

lol, did not expect the lizard to be that big or albino.

Well, at least Speckle acknowledged he gets depressed from time to time and just needs to rebuild his self-esteem. Curious to see what he chooses for his next job after Figgy got him thinking.

Happy Tuca and Figgy got back together. Ah, and when he saw Tuca instead of the alcohol. :)

I'm glad Tuca's medical problem got solved at last and hope she can still have children. It was interesting aside that "Tuca's mom" denied the problem was her daughter suppressing her grief over her death and told Bertie to get to the growth already.

Also liked Winter told Bertie to stop overthinking things while she was trying to have her epiphany.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
S03E09 "Somebirdy's Getting Married"

First part of the season finale, let's go.

Oh boy, where do I start? Wedding episodes are always interesting (except for that infamous one from "Regular Show").

Bertie tried so hard to help Speckle to get out of his depression, of course without breaking up for real. And about Speckle... yeah, being depressed sucks, but at least he acknowledged that. His speech about fixing himself and rebuilding the house that he and Bertie could live in was really great. This also proves that Bertie and Speckle's relationship is getting stronger.

I'm really happy for Tuca and Figgy that they're now a couple for real this time. I've cheered for this healthy relationship and this episode gave us a happy conclusion for this arc. :)

Surprising that Kara has now a new girlfirend who helped her being a better person and getting therapy.

The realistic bricks, really? 8/10

S03E10 "The Mole"

Second part of the season finale, let's go.

Great episode, it's the typical fantastic voyage story with some deep depths. We've got a few callbacks to this season and as well as first two seasons as we entered the insides of Tuca a.k.a. Horseville. It's also fasctinating that Tuca sees Bertie as a hero and a very important bird-person.

Bertie is finally appreciated by Chef Garcia for the "Milk and Cookies" idea, I guess that arc also got a nice closure.

Speckle and his brilliant surgical skills accidentally killed the medical inspector, no wonder why Figgy got traumatized. But hey, I'm happy that Speckle and Figgy became friends.

This episode also redeems Kara as a character, like Tuca said: she's a bad girlfriend but she's a great nurse. Oh, yeah, Kara mistakes Bertie's name and calls her "Georgette".

Tuca's cramps issues arc got resolved, and I realized that this arc wasn't about period issues after all. We also see what Tuca's mom was like.

This episode is evolutional as Tuca and Bertie have the perfect connection with each other and their friendship is stronger than ever. Tuca might not have a baby, but she still has Bertie as the best thing she ever had.

Satisfying closure of this season which I can say was challenging. All that I can say is that I had a great time with this season. And one more thing, this show needs more seasons and at least survive the Discovery pluge craze. We don't want "Tuca and Bertie" to get cancelled the second time, right? 8,5/10

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I can proudly say this show somewhat redeemed itself with me with how Season 3 ends and all that, but I still need to see Speckle find happiness sooner rather than later. Especially since our main 3 characters are just about there and are likely gonna be just fine, going forward. Yeah..... WE BETTER GET A SEASON 4, DAMMIT. I like this show much more than Bojack Horseman, honestly enough. FORGET. THE. HATERS.

DogBoneController

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts