C&C - Rick & Morty - Season Four Talkback

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I think this episode was based on even if he didn't directly write it, Dan Harmon's incredible hatred of Now You See Me. There's like a really funny youtube video that shows Harmon ranting about how much he dislikes that movie and his annoyance with heist kind of films and even as someone who likes Now You See Me as a franchise I still find that really funny. And I do really like this episode for the most part. I love the idea of Rick hating heist movies that focus more on the gathering of people and of the artisry then of just stealing the object as well as him easily not only stealing the object back from the crew knowing choosing people who would betray him but just taking over and breaking the entire con for the heck of it and that leading to the real problem and then gathering just a crew at random to do random things as part of this uber elaborate scheme to get his heistbot to break down. When the episode straight up admits it's going to be BS by pointing out the straight up betrayals and back stabbings and BS that is usually found in that genre I find it's a lot easier to get into and enjoy and there were a lot of great jokes throughout from the temple mummy wondering why these boobietraps even break the person they're supposed to be guarding to that predator phrase constantly being used as heist movie tag in to Mr. Poopybutthole teaching a class on Maya Angelou and later admitting he lost his teacher's license because Rick got them all to attack them and all apparently knowing karate due to that weird parallel to "I'm working on weapons in the center of the earth. You think there's another job I wouldn't turn down" to what everyone was randomly doing. I admit though I didn't care for that ending of Rick making Morty give up his dreams of writing a Netflix pitch just so he could go on adventures with him. It's weird as obviously to enjoy this show you kind of have to be down with Rick usually pulling off cruel stunts and bits and though usually not getting exactly what he wants and not emotionally coming out on top at least prevailing so easily over others but I don't know something about this felt exceptionally vitriolic for no reason. Like seriously because it's cutting into "Advneture Time" he takes away Motry's screenplay dream in way that makes Morty think it's his own fault? I guess last time Rick and morty were seperate and the first episode Morty was clearly at blame but I don't know Rick being so clearly in the wrong here bugged me but the rest of the episode was really fun so sans that bit good stuff.

Radiant97

Jewel Runner
Ah okay now I know why Justin Roiland accompanied Elon Musk when he went on PewDiePie's Meme Review.

Talk about a timely Elon Musk guest appearance, since everyone's talking about Tesla's new Warthog Cybertruck.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
I still like heist films (Now You See Me series, Ocean's series, etc.). Sorry, Harmon - thanks for tying, though.

All I'm convinced is what a terrible character Rick truly is. As well as what a wuss Morty is for letting himself be Rick's doormat (moreso than usual) at the end, there. That... Didn't sit well with me. Seeing someone get cynically beat down like that is NEVER funny to me - nor will it ever be.

Some good action and comedy that I can somewhat respect this show for, otherwise (at least this week) - too bad I still like Heist films. So, you lose, Harmon - take care.

I can only hope this show will do better (and hopefully a little bit funnier), once it comes back from Thanksgiving break, anyway. But, if I've learned anything in my life, cynicism is hard to get around and make funny when that's what dominates your show, as it is. And I've seen this whole show, so...

More and more, I can't say I'm sorry Morty puts up with this poor fool. It (usually) is his own fault, to be fair.

Radiant97

Jewel Runner
All I'm convinced is what a terrible character Rick truly is. As well as what a wuss Morty is for letting himself be Rick's doormat (moreso than usual) at the end, there. That... Didn't sit well with me. Seeing someone get cynically beat down like that is NEVER funny to me - nor will it ever be.
I don't think it was meant to be funny. It's yet another example of how Rick's presence is detrimental to Morty's well-being, which is what the show's been establishing for its entire run. I do think the jovial way they portrayed it was a bit twisted.

The premise of this episode is actually very similar to "Zoës and Zeldas" from season 1 of Bojack Horseman. Both involve a man in power (Rick/Bojack) crushing the dream of an underdog hopeful (Morty/Todd) so they won't leave their side.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
I don't think it was meant to be funny. It's yet another example of how Rick's presence is detrimental to Morty's well-being, which is what the show's been establishing for its entire run. I do think the jovial way they portrayed it was a bit twisted.

The premise of this episode is actually very similar to "Zoës and Zeldas" from season 1 of Bojack Horseman. Both involve a man in power (Rick/Bojack) crushing the dream of an underdog hopeful (Morty/Todd) so they won't leave their side.

Nailed it perfectly, m8. Now try being this valid in criticism... ANYWHERE ELSE - and not just towards overrated fare like Rick and Morty truly is, either. I dare you to, because just watch how people cry/moan/complain/rant about how wrong you are and that Rick is a saint or some noise like that, despite the otherwise being so much more obvious (e.g.: Rick is a terrible character, simple as that.).
Also, excuse me for missing the point with what was meant to be funny and wasn't. I think Rick being terrible and only that is all I meant to say, only because I like to believe in this case... I don't find myself in the wrong on this.

Dantheman

I loved it when Rick had eveybody at the convention steal every bit of it, up to and including ripping that one guy apart.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Season 4 Episode 4: Claw and Hoarder: Special Ricktim's Morty

Synopsis: Morty gets a dragon.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I have it on good authority that Morty gets a dragon in this one. Is this true?

Good for twenty years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.

And a comic strip idea was born.

"And that's the end of the 'Morty Gets a Dragon' episode."
After five minutes?

Great. Now they'll be long lines at the grocery store for Ecto Cooler. It's szechuan sauce all over again.

The dragon you have summoned is not in service at this time.

Oh, not in front of the kids, Rick.

#cancelrick

Last edited:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
New episode in two weeks. The new Harley Quinn show would actually make a good complement with this show.

Nobodyman

A dragon not voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch? BOOOOOOOO!!!

I spy a Duckman cameo!

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
The dragon has a Future vinyl album, signed by him in molly and percocet LOL.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Just don't become a superhero. Magic -based superheroes aren't very well-known.

Stop shaming dragons.

FLORIDA MAN TALKS TO CAT.

Morty is pretty useless this week.

That bonding gag was funny at first, but it got way out of hand.

And kids at Hogwarts train these perverts?

Matthew Broderick? Must have been his day off.

Let's end this now before the FCC ends it for you.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Okay unlike the last episode whose ending kind of annoyed this one to me makes a much better flow of events; Rick reluctantly has to get Morty a dragon (I actually forgot when the epiosde ended that Beth was in it at all but yeah she made like a 10 second cameo that pushed Rick to get the dragon for Morty. I have to wonder is there like a weird rule that in most every episode you need like at least a 5 second cameo of either Beth or Summer even if they otherwise have no point in the episode. Like even when Jerry makes a cameo in an ep there's usually more a reason for it then when it's just Beth or Summer... man why I am going on a rant about this of all things) that is obviously a very dangerous idea and breaks like the one rule Rick set up for it and when trying to slay the dragon Rick bonds with it and then we find out about the dragon's soul bonding fetish which leads to this whole magical adventure. I admit I also like seeing Morty's own selfish desire for these adventures even if this one was just being able to fly around and be friend a dragon even if it's one that didn't really want anything to do with him. And you know it is nice to actually get more of Summer in one of these epsiodes again in the main plot as i liked her interactions with Rick talking about shipping on the A** show and getting the magical archery powers and trying to show off a move and then pretty much talking straight to the dragon about the experience on their terms and the whole soul bound orgy leading to the death of the magician and of the dragon still wanting to hang out with the family to get some was a funny way to end that plot. maybe this was partially based off dragonheart with the whole dragon bond but i guess it's also just usually a different kind of outright fetishing of dragons that most people do. heck the subplot of jerry and the cat actually worked a lot better then I thought as well. I thought this would just be "Jerry is a loser who constantly gets outsmarted by this cat' throughout but I like more it's just the mystery of why this cat can telephatically communicate with others and having his own baggage about it and then finding out it's a much more disturbing story then anyone can actually handle. (My own personal theory since I'm an old school animorphs fan is that this guy is a nothlit who got trapped in the body of a cat and had a particularly nasty experience with a Taxxon, a super gross worm alien in the animorphs world to explain what happened to him). i am glad that this also isn't just a case of jerry being cowardly throughout as he actually did want to remember the truth about the cat and Rick just making the choice he shouldn't and just remembering it himself actually not wanting jerry to carry that burden on him. Does show again the two don't always have to be at odds and Rick's own small way of caring and though predictable the dragon and the cat at the end was a funny stinger. I don't know if this is a great or legendary episode but it's a fun one constantly entertaining me without the annoyance ending of last time so yeah solid stuff.

Dantheman

The "only people who like dragons are nerds who don't realize they're Christian" is an oddly weird, specific slam.

Freddy

Here are my personal quick thoughts on each season 4 episode so far:

Edge of Tomorty: Rick Die Rickpeat
Classic - style Rick & Morty episode in a good way. High-concept sci-fi idea, which could easily work in a more serious series, tuned up to eleven with some great zingers along the way. The running joke of so many alternative universes being fascists was great and the new status quo of Morty's parents standing up to Rick was well established.

The Old Man and the Seat
This episode was 50% amazing and 50% decent, so I think I go with it being overall pretty good. The A-plot regarding the App wasn't anything special, being pretty basic "Jerry is a loser" - plot, but the jokes were funny and Taika Waititi did good job in hist guest role. The B-plot, on the other hand, was some of the best writing of the entire series, and a good chunk of it revolves around toilet humor, which I usually find extremely unfunny, but here it was taken to such an extreme - level that I couldn't help, but to find it amusing and this was another great look at Rick's character.

One Crew over the Crewcoo's Morty
I didn't like this one. The heist movie parody part grew really stale really fast, since it was pretty much the same two jokes repeated over and over again, and the ending was just too meanspirited for my taste. I get it that Rick isn't meant to be a good person, but one of his redeeming qualities has always been his soft spot for Morty, so the ending didn't sit too well with me. This has pretty much the same problems as "Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender", so its no wonder that they are now the two R&M episodes that I outright dislike.

Claw and Hoarder: Special Ricktim's Morty
On paper, this episode shouldn't have worked, but it somehow it did. A good chunk of it is just one low-brow sex joke after another, but taking something as traditionally majestic like dragons and making them sleazy perverts just kept making me laugh. It was a cheap laugh, but in a good way. It helps that they got Liam Cunningham, who could easily play a serious dragon in a serious fantasy epic, to voice Balthromaw, which made all the sex jokes all the more hilarious.

Radiant97

Jewel Runner
The "only people who like dragons are nerds who don't realize they're Christian" is an oddly weird, specific slam.
Yeah I don't fully understand that jab. To me, it looks like they were mostly shading horny dragonkins in this episode.

Claw and Hoarder: Special Ricktim's Morty
On paper, this episode shouldn't have worked, but it somehow it did. A good chunk of it is just one low-brow sex joke after another, but taking something as traditionally majestic like dragons and making them sleazy perverts just kept making me laugh. It was a cheap laugh, but in a good way.
The sex jokes were really cheap and probably wouldn't be that memorable in the long run, but they were stupid and funny enough to make me laugh on first viewing.

Last edited:

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Well we reached all the 5 episodes that [adult swim] going to air so enjoy the midseason finale.

Season 4 Episode 5: Rattlestar Ricklactica

Synopsis: Things in space include snakes and sharp stuff.​

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Micahel Cataldo wrote on HungryBIte 19's profile.
Hi there.

We have one great music video and one great ending to an episode.
I wish a happy 57th birthday to Bob Bergen. He's best known for voicing Porky Pig.
harry580 wrote on RegularCapital's profile.
hey um I have another idea, the haim saban attempt to have news corporation (the owners of fox and fox family worldwide at the time) to buy his stake in fox family worldwide back in 2000/2001
New on the RegularCapital Audiovisual Research Wiki: Nickelodeon's Failed First Attempt In Germany (1995-1998): Nickelodeon's Failed First Attempt In Germany (1995-1998) tl;dr: Nick Germany gets screwed over by public broadcasting.

Featured Posts