C&C - Naruto Shippuden - "The Tale of Naruto Uzumaki" [9/23]

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
This episode adapts a chapter that to this day remains controversial among the Naruto fandom. I for one think that Kishimoto had good reasons for doing what he did here, but I also do think those who disagree with it have a point.

At the same time, in a weekly manga, it is all too easy to write yourself into a corner and if Kishi hadn't done what he did I do think he would not only have backed into a corner, but plow right into the walls.

I know this because I have written stories and fanfictions myself and have backed into corners many times without the weekly deadline pressures. It's a lot harder than it looks, trust me.

What do you think?

2945hmg.jpg
2i76c88.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-30-09h40m30s213.png

Official Naruto: Shippuden Talkback Thread

Opening 7: "Tōmei Datta Sekai" by Motohiro Hata
Ending 14: "Transient Fireworks" by Supercell

You can find some of the OPs and EDs on the Toonami Digital Arsenal in high quality (seriously, they need to update this).

Last time on Naruto Shippuden:

Nagato continues talking to Naruto and describes his second pain, how he and Konan helped Yahiko used what they learned from Jiraiya to create the Akatsuki to bring peace the Hidden Rain Village. But Hanzo deemed Yahiko's group a threat to his regime and allied with Danzo to kidnap Konan. Hanzo orders Nagato to kill Yahiko if he wants her to live and Yahiko sacrifices himself for Konan's sake, horrifying Nagato and forcing him into the crippled state he's in today.
No spoilers: No talk of future arcs, events, etc. ESPECIALLY NOW THAT BOTH THE MANGA AND ANIME ARE OVER! All spoiler talk must be taken to the anime forum or through pm! Please have respect for all new viewers or else TOBI will be coming for YOU. Believe it!

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
Previously, on Naruto, we got the full story of this pain. And suffice it to say, we now realize his pain. Let's see how Naruto feels about this pain.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Yeah, leveling an entire city and killing innocent people is a GREAT way to deal with pain.

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
So now Nagato realized he killed Jiraiya and caused all the other damage he did over a busted ideal.

Better late than never, I suppose.

A.Magik

Episode 174 The Tale of Naruto Uzumaki
Premiere Date: August 18 2010
Adapted from Naruto Chapters 447-449 (Published 2009)

It’s the First
Nagato took over the organization after Yahiko’s death (How he joined up with Madara will be revealed later).

It is revealed Nagato was the inspiration for Jiraiya’s character in The Tales of the Gutsy Ninja. The scene of the character proclaiming his Ninja Way of breaking the Cycle and finding Peace (which turns out to be an original quote by Nagato) is repeated for the last time, with Nagato as the person. The Gutsy Ninja’s name is finally confirmed as Naruto.

This story leads to the popular term of the ‘Talk No Jitsu’, a phrase for Naruto’s ability to convince a villain to change. In truth, Naruto had done this before with Zabuza and Gaara, but- at least in my recollection- this Arc is where the phrase/plot-point got cemented.

Won over by Naruto, Nagato performs the Gedo Rinne Rebirth. It is revealed that he is the Seventh Pain, Gedo (The Outer Path), reigning control over Life and Death. This Jitsu is portrayed as the Naraka Path's King of Hell appears at the center of the Village crater and releases an enormous flurry of green light.

It is also at this point that it is revealed that Gamabunta had been treated by the Great Toad Sage. This canonical revelation occurs when the Sage witnesses these events via a crystal ball, surprised to learn the Child of Prophecy were two people, one for peace and the other for destruction.

The Plot Thickens…
Nagato learned that the funded Ninjas of the Hidden Leaf Village made peace over the war, death, and destruction of smaller nations, thus creating his philosophy of the world ruled by Hate, never Peace.

Naruto understands Nagato, still hates him, but decides to follow Jiraiya’s philosophy, and find that answer to peace. He quotes the character of the book, stunning Nagato; Naruto has become the embodiment of ‘the Gutsy Ninja’ character that he inspired. He decides to believe in him.

As noted before, Jiraiya got the name Naruto by eating Ramen with Naruto spice.

Konan protests over Nagato’s actions for the last time. She knows the Rinne Rebith Jitsu is fatal.

The Great Toad Sage wonders if Jiraiya’s decision to fight for life to give Frakasaku the code may have preordained this current event.

Remember When (or Not)
Nagato remembers scratching the symbol of his forehead protector.

Naruto remembers Jiraiya’s wish for peace.

Nagato remembers telling Jiraya his desire to fight the violence of the world and break the curse and bring Peace. This inspires Jiraiya (who is eating Ramen with Naruto spice).

Jiraiya’s departure from the orphans is repeated.

The aftermath to Jiraiya’s departure is portrayed, with Nagato finding the book Tales of the Gutsy Ninja.

Nagato remembers his talk with Jiraiya about the Sage of Six Paths (with an added closure of Jiraiya patting him on the head, with Nagato smiling), Yahiko’s last words, the fish dinner with Jiraiya, a dinner with his parents, and his Pain confrontation with Jiraya.

Naruto remembers his own loneliness (portrayed in the 'crying child before the crowd' bit in the Gaara parallel sequence in the Chunin Exams Arc), his final attack with Sasuke at the Valley at the End, Sasuke peering over his unconscious body, his Nine Tails-possessed state smacking Sakura near the Tenchi bridge, his ‘tears with a popsicle’ scene. He also thinks about Sasuke’s post-Itachi reflection, even though he would have no idea of that one yet.

But in the Manga
The Manga had Nagato’s pre-established flashbacks occur after Naruto reveals the Gutsy Ninja’s name. The Anime has it occur before it.

The Anime limits Yahiko’s last words to audio only.

The Anime adds Naruto’s memories, including that Sasuke scene.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I've always thought Naruto's ability to "reach" almost anybody (even villains) with his words was one of his endearing points - but I can see why people would find it cheesy as well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts