C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "Long Journey, Goodbye My Friends" [8/11] (END OF PART 3)

Latest News

Sep 30, 2005
Ratings
123 2
The Grid

Characters

q5KsBep.jpg
Jotaro Kujo
Voiced by: Matthew Mercer
Stand: Star Platinum
Ability: Strength and Precision
Stats: Destructive Power - A / Speed - A / Range - C / Durability - A / Precision - A / Developmental Potential - A
Namesake: The Star (tarot card)
Joseph’s grandson, Jotaro isn’t one for displaying his emotions and is a man of few words, but deep down has a gentle heart and will protect anybody close to him, especially if he has to beat the crap out of someone. Recently, he gained a mysterious power known as a Stand; Star Platinum is one of the most powerful Stands around, possessing incredible precision, speed, and strength. With his Stand, Star Platinum, he’s now locked in combat with the Joestar family’s immortal enemy DIO, in order to kill him and break his curse on Jotaro’s mother.

crMKrBK.jpg
Joseph Joestar
Voiced by: Richard Epcar
Stand: Hermit Purple
Ability: Divination and Hamon
Stats: Destructive Power - D / Speed - C / Range - D / Durability - A / Precision - D / Developmental Potential - E
Namesake: The Hermit (tarot card)
Joseph Joestar once saved the world nearly 50 years ago, but since then retired from his Hamon training and became a real estate tycoon in America. However, after gaining his Stand, he sprung back into action once discovering that the evil DIO, who had taken his grandfather’s life, had reemerged from his hundred-year slumber. Alongside his grandson Jotaro, his friend Avdol, high schooler Kakyoin, Frenchman Polnareff, and a hotheaded dog named Iggy, Joseph set out on a 45 day journey to Egypt, on a race against time to defeat DIO and remove the curse afflicting his daughter Holly. Joseph’s Stand allows him to use spirit photography to help guide the Crusaders on their journey, as well as enhance his own Hamon abilities. Unfortunately, shortly after discovering DIO’s power to stop time and telling Jotaro this fact, DIO stabbed him in the throat with a knife, fatally wounding him, and then sucked his blood dry in order to complete the assimilation of Jonathan’s body.

4GGVBhR.jpg
Jean Pierre Polnareff
Voiced by: Doug Erholtz
Stand: Silver Chariot
Abilities: Speed and sword combat
Stats: Destructive Power - C / Speed - A / Range - C / Durability - B / Precision - B / Developmental Potential - C
Namesakes: Jean-Paul Belmondo (actor) / Michel Polnareff (musician) / The Chariot (tarot card)
Polnareff is a chivalrous Frenchman who met the Crusaders in Hong Kong. He was initially a minion of DIO but, like Kakyoin, was rescued from the brainwashing that had been placed on him. He had joined the group to avenge his sister, who was killed by the evil Stand user Centerfold. But after defeating his target, he continues onward with them across Egypt to end DIO’s evil reign and ensure no one else has to suffer. His Stand, Silver Chariot, is able to attack its enemies with high-speed swordplay.

GxmVnBR.jpg
DIO
Voiced by: Patrick Seitz
Stand: The World
Abilities: Vampirism (DIO) / Time Stop (The World)
Namesakes: DIO (Band) / The World (tarot card)
In the early 1880’s, a lower-class orphan by the name of Dio Brando was taken in by the upper-class Joestar family. With resentment for those of higher social status than him, Dio spent the next 7 years planning to take out the heir to the Joestar family, Jonathan Joestar, and claim its fortune. However, caught at a critical time in his plan, Dio used an ancient artifact the Joestars owned to become a vampire and began a new plot for world domination. Jonathan, along his friends, fought back against Dio, ending in a confrontation on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic which cost Jonathan’s life and sent Dio to a supposed watery grave. However, nearly a hundred years later, he was recovered by an unsuspecting group of treasure hunters, and given life anew in the modern age! Having gained possession of a mysterious Stand ability, the being now known simply as “DIO” wraps his insidious grasp around the world through agents also possessing Stands, in the resurrection of his plot to end the Joestar bloodline and dominate humanity!
While DIO has access to a Hermit Purple like Stand which allows him to monitor the progress of the Crusaders, this Stand in fact belongs to Jonathan’s body. DIO’s own Stand, “The World”, has a far more terrifying power: The ability to stop time for several seconds which, combined with DIO’s frightening speed as a vampire, gives him plenty of time to eliminate his enemies in less than the blink of an eye. DIO now faces off against the Crusaders himself. He killed Kakyoin with a single punch and stabbed Joseph in the neck with a knife, all before even confronting Jotaro. After a lengthy fight, DIO lured Jotaro back to the spot where Joseph was stabbed and absorbed his blood, at last completely taking complete control of Jonathan’s body and receiving a tremendous power boost.

jjba-stardust-crusaders-cover.jpg

Episode 48 (74)
“Long Journey, Goodbye My Friends"
Chapters adapted: 262-265

Previously on JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure:
Confident in The World's superiority over Star Platinum, DIO stopped time to try and finish Jotaro. However, he discovered that, due to Star Platinum being the same type of Stand as The World, Jotaro appeared to be able to both perceive him and move himself, albeit only slightly, while time is stopped. DIO initially assumed this to be a trick Jotaro pulled by planting a magnet on him to move his fingers, but this turned out to be a bluff by Jotaro, who used Star Platinum to counterattack during stopped time. Realizing that Jotaro could only move for a brief moment while time is stopped, DIO stayed out of his attack range and attacked using time-stopped knives, managing to land some hits on Jotaro. While Jotaro, managing to survive thanks to some magazines he hid under his clothes, was forced to play dead until he recovered, Polnareff attempted to stop DIO from finishing Jotaro off but was knocked out by him. Drawing DIO's attention away from Polnareff, Jotaro continued to play dead, going as far as to use Star Platinum to stop his own heart, until DIO got close enough, allowing him to bash DIO's skull and paralyze him. However, DIO tricked Jotaro into punching him over to where Joseph was, allowing him to drain his blood and complete his merging with Jonathan's body.

Now:
DIO now has complete control over Jonathan’s body and has reached a high state of power, his control over frozen time rapidly increasing. Will DIO be triumphant, or can Jotaro find a way to defeat him, save his mother from the curse, and at last free the Joestar family from their century old enemy?

JOJO'S JUKEBOX

I thought for quite some time about what song would best represent the final episode of Stardust Crusaders. Way back when I was planning out the road map for Part 3’s Jukebox songs, I initially thought about reusing “Get Back” by the Beatles (specifically I wanted to use the performance of “Get Back” from the famous rooftop performance right before the band broke up), since it was the song I used for the very first episode of Part 1. Then I thought about using a song which I’m going to include as a bonus after the episode finishes, but while that song is directly related to JoJo, it’s not contemporary with when the manga was published (something I’ve generally tried to focus on keeping to for these songs). But in the end, there was only ever one song which could go with this episode.

Here’s “Eat It” by Weird Al Yankovic.

Notes:
  • This is the final episode of Part 3, Stardust Crusaders. But JoJo isn’t going away any time soon! Tune in next week as we jump ahead to the year 1999 for the start of Part 4, Diamond is Unbreakable!
  • The manga chapters which this episode covers can currently be found in the paperback Stardust Crusaders volume 16. They will also be available in volume 10 of the hardcover releases, which should be released in February 2019 from Viz Media.
  • The events in this episode were previously adapted in episode 13 of the 90’s OVA.
  • The first 24 episodes of Stardust Crusaders, as well as the first season, are currently available on Bluray and DVD.
  • Please, no spoilers about upcoming events and future arcs. Especially with this being the final episode.

Last edited:

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Aug 3, 2002
Ratings
311 1
Chiyo-chan's America
JOJO'S JUKEBOX

I thought for quite some time about what song would best represent the final episode of Stardust Crusaders. Way back when I was planning out the road map for Part 3’s Jukebox songs, I initially thought about reusing “Get Back” by the Beatles (specifically I wanted to use the performance of “Get Back” from the famous rooftop performance right before the band broke up), since it was the song I used for the very first episode of Part 1. Then I thought about using a song which I’m going to include as a bonus after the episode finishes, but while that song is directly related to JoJo, it’s not contemporary with when the manga was published (something I’ve generally tried to focus on keeping to for these songs). But in the end, there was only ever one song which could go with this episode.

Here’s “Eat It” by Weird Al Yankovic.

This was indeed the song that I was thinking when it came to the perfect song for the final episode of Stardust Crusaders (with it making a lot of sense when you watch the episode).

Oct 18, 2016
Ratings
Fun fact: Araki did not get the name JoJo from the song Get Back. The name started because Araki named Jonathan Joestar after an American style diner in Japan called Jonathan's. Also alliteration was rather popular at the time, so that why we have JoJo.

Sep 30, 2005
Ratings
123 2
The Grid
Fun fact: Araki did not get the name JoJo from the song Get Back. The name started because Araki named Jonathan Joestar after an American style diner in Japan called Jonathan's. Also alliteration was rather popular at the time, so that why we have JoJo.
That's true, though the last chapter of Part 3 does contain a reference to it by having somebody listening to "Get Back" on a cassette player.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,491 8
Not going to lie I watched this after the OVA and while I enjoy DP adaption more in a lot of parts I feel as if the final fight was lacking a bit