C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Strong × Or × Weak" [11/10]

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Sep 30, 2005
Ratings
127 2
The Grid
Toonami2018-_Main_Template.png Hunter_x_Hunter_Chimera_Ant_talkback.png

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 5]
Ending theme: "Hyōri Ittai" by Yuzu [VERSION 1]​

Hunter%252520X%252520Hunter%252520-%252520118%252520-39%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Episode 119
"Strong × Or × Weak"
Chapters adapted: 281-283

This time:
Killua takes on Youpi, while Ikalgo tries to find a way to escape Bloster.

Notes:
  • Hunter x Hunter will be off next week for a marathon of Attack on Titan season 3. It will, however, be airing Thanksgiving weekend.
  • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 27 of the manga release.
  • Episodes 1-75 are currently available across four Bluray/DVD sets from Viz Media.
  • The first movie, “Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge”, is now available on Bluray and DVD.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,307 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I found it interesting for once there's one among the heroes who's gutless and hates himself for it. Instead them all being resolute pro-fighters. Also continues the unexpected dichotomy of some Chimera Ants having a lot of humanity.

Killua's Godspeed was amazing. Going all Super Saiyan Electric on Youpi. That had to have put some mileage on that APR total.

But getting impatient with Morel's fight. Feels like after all the build up, it will end real quick.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
Killua beating the crud out of Youpi was an awesome moment in the seemingly never ending Youpi fight. Still wonder how he's gonna possible be beaten as he's spent so many episodes shrugging stuff off and beating the crud out of the good guys.

I personally found the Ikalgo vs Bloster fight pretty solid and it provided some character development for him. It's weird that the control room was completely unguarded (why leave a room where you can release sleeping gas unguarded?), but maybe the ant in charge of that got killed somewhere in the mayhem. Not telling Bloster about the codes also seems like a weird thing for the chimera ants to do considering what could happen. There seem to be a few things that make me question the ants' intelligence.

As for Morel vs Shiapouf, it's not waiting for the fight to end, it's waiting for it to begin. It's been Dragonball Z level of prolonged staredowns with no blows being struck. It looks like that fight will really for real begin next week.

There are a lot of cool things happening in the palace invasion, but this show seems more like a marathon show than a week to week one. In spite of pacing issues, it is probably second to My Hero Academia as the best show on the block despite being all the way in the back of it.

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,775 6
New York City
I personally found the Ikalgo vs Bloster fight pretty solid and it provided some character development for him. It's weird that the control room was completely unguarded (why leave a room where you can release sleeping gas unguarded?), but maybe the ant in charge of that got killed somewhere in the mayhem. Not telling Bloster about the codes also seems like a weird thing for the chimera ants to do considering what could happen. There seem to be a few things that make me question the ants' intelligence.
TBH, that may be intentional. I mean, Cheetu was a total idiot, and the lion guy made an ability where he summons water - even though he can't swim! I guess in the end, most of them are basically just evolved animals...

I totally get why someone wouldn't like the Ikalgo stuff - but it's scenes like this that made me fall in love with the manga in the first place. It's such an un-Shonen thing to do, and I love how cerebral the show/manga can get, where it isn't just about who's stronger or what have you.

It is definitely better as a marathon show, especially since it has a page-turner quality to it. I recall marathoning over half this arc in the manga in a single day.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was pretty good. Killua's Godspeed technique was pretty cool. Despite having much less strength than Yopei, his fast speed allowed for Killua to land quite a few hits. I was really disappointed that the fight didn't last longer. Killua looked cool and I was hoping that he'd get a proper fight while Gon was waiting for Pitou. Yopei did figure out that one of the enemies could turn invisible, which might be problematic for Killua.

I have mixed feelings on Ikalgo getting the bulk of attention for this episode. On one hand, it showed how smart he was with figuring out all of the different ways Blaster could escape and then trapping him. Even though killing Blaster would really save Ikalgo a lot of trouble down the road, I liked that he was still afraid to do it. He saw it as weakness, but he isn't a fighter like the others and not wanting to kill even your enemy isn't weakness. It's a good character moment that gives a bit more depth to Ikalgo.

But on the other hand, I don't know if it really needed to be a full episode. We still haven't had a full episode devoted to Morel's fight and he's one of the more prominent supporting characters of this arc. I wouldn't say that it's pointless, mainly because I don't know how the rest of the arc plays out and keeping Blaster from getting upstairs still helps his friends, but I think calling it boring would be accurate. If we actually got some decent screentime for the fights, then I think an episode devoted primarily to Ikalgo would have been fine. The pacing has already slowed down to a screeching halt, so not even focusing on one of the main fights for most of the episode doesn't help with that. There's just so much buildup and not enough payoff yet, which is definitely similar to how I felt about the York New arc. As slow as the pacing for this arc has gotten, at least stuff still happens and we aren't spending a few episodes figuring out how to get money for an auction that ultimately doesn't matter in the slightest. This arc would still really benefit from a binge watch though, or at least this half of the arc. I thought that the first half of the arc was paced pretty much fine. It wasn't until they spent months preparing for this attack and then a few more weeks just going through the castle where the pacing started to become problematic for me.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode. I just hope that the episode after the week break will pick things up a bit.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
I totally get why someone wouldn't like the Ikalgo stuff - but it's scenes like this that made me fall in love with the manga in the first place. It's such an un-Shonen thing to do, and I love how cerebral the show/manga can get, where it isn't just about who's stronger or what have you.
Well, Ikalgo vs Bloster isn't totally unlike anything in shonen. There have been a few times when a shonen fight involves setting traps rather than rapid fire fisticuffs. A good example is Shikamuru vs Hidan in Shippuden, which involved a pit trap. I think what makes the Ikalgo fight have a mixed reception is that it interrupted the Youpi fight when it was getting cool. Part of me ponders if just showing the Youpi fight, then the the Shialapouf fight, then the Bloster fight without cutting from one fight to another would help or hinder the pacing.

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,775 6
New York City
Part of me ponders if just showing the Youpi fight, then the the Shialapouf fight, then the Bloster fight without cutting from one fight to another would help or hinder the pacing.
Hmm. Without going into graphic spoiler territory, I don't think it would work just because the different sub-plots might occasionally intersect.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,556 10
Hmm. Without going into graphic spoiler territory, I don't think it would work just because the different sub-plots might occasionally intersect.
Thats one of the things I like about this arc looking back, in most Shonen arcs you have the characters going on set battles where they have to fight their opponents to the bitter end but Hunter X Hunter treats this more like an actual mission where characters go different stages and interact with different characters. Its more like a web than a line

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Well, Ikalgo vs Bloster isn't totally unlike anything in shonen. There have been a few times when a shonen fight involves setting traps rather than rapid fire fisticuffs. A good example is Shikamuru vs Hidan in Shippuden, which involved a pit trap. I think what makes the Ikalgo fight have a mixed reception is that it interrupted the Youpi fight when it was getting cool. Part of me ponders if just showing the Youpi fight, then the the Shialapouf fight, then the Bloster fight without cutting from one fight to another would help or hinder the pacing.
I don't know if that would help with the pacing, mainly because the fights themselves take forever to even start in this arc, but actually having a decent amount of screentime for the fights would have helped a lot in terms of my personal enjoyment. A good part of the reason why the Ikalgo vs. Bloster frustrated me was because we've hardly seen any actual fighting in this stage of the arc. It is all buildup with little payoff at this point and the pacing itself is borderline One Piece levels of slowness.

I'm sure that there is a reason why they devoted more time to Ikalgo's subplot during this episode, but I just wish that we could get a good solid fight in this arc. I'm also sure that the fights will come, especially when we haven't seen what the king is going to be doing during his fight yet, but considering how much time they spent just preparing for this attack, I was hoping for a bit more payoff by the time they actually entered the castle. This stage of the arc thus far has been at lest fifty percent narration/exposition with the rest of the percentage being inner monologues from the characters.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
but I just wish that we could get a good solid fight in this arc.
The Youpi fight is quite an interesting case in that there are a few select high octane moments, about 30 seconds of action per episode on the fight and rest being the characters monologing and cutting away to other stuff. The cutting away to Morel and Shiapouf's staredowns seem a little pointless when literally nothing has happened. Supposedly, cutting away from the Youpi fight to show something else was done because all the fights eventually connect in some way. (do the characters switch opponents or something?) Overall, cutting away wasn't as big a problem as the monologues, such as the idea that Knuckle was unhappy that Youpi just ran away from him and didn't consider him worth killing. That scene could have been two or three minutes rather than a whole episode. The Youpi fight is 5% cool stuff, 90% padding. Anyone wondering when the Youpi fight will finally end and if the conclusion would be satisfying?

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,775 6
New York City
and the pacing itself is borderline One Piece levels of slowness.
Ouch! I guess it might feel that way...but the average One Piece episode only adapts one chapter (or less) while the average HxH episode adapts three chapters (or more). Granted, many chapters of HxH are basically walls of text, which probably explains that. :p

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
while the average HxH episode adapts three chapters (or more). Granted, many chapters of HxH are basically walls of text, which probably explains that. :p
Part of me wonders if the caption boxes were done to explain what was going on considering the incoherently bad artwork the manga is infamous for. I've seen some pictures of the manga and I'm afraid to start the manga journey because some of it looks Sonichu level awful. It's just amazing how breathtaking the anime's visuals are in comparison. Killua vs Youpi looked amazing.

NlSXRLE.jpg

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,775 6
New York City
Part of me wonders if the caption boxes were done to explain what was going on considering the incoherently bad artwork the manga is infamous for. I've seen some pictures of the manga and I'm afraid to start the manga journey because some of it looks Sonichu level awful. It's just amazing how breathtaking the anime's visuals are in comparison. Killua vs Youpi looked amazing.
I mean, I don't think so since this was the first arc to feature heavy narration. If I remember right, Togashi himself said it was because a lot of the stuff that happens during the second half of this arc takes place in seconds, so the narration is there to keep us informed about what everyone is thinking, doing, etc.

That said, the current arc in the manga is arguably even more text heavy, just not with a narrator. I think giant text boxes are just a Togashi thing.