124 2
The Grid

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 5]
Ending theme: "Nagareboshi Kirari" by Yuzu

Episode 95
"Grudge × And × Dread"
Chapters adapted: 221-223

This time:
With the conclusion of the battle with Cheetu, Gon and Killua are taken to meet “Kite”.

Notes:
  • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 21 of the manga release.
  • Three Bluray/DVD sets are available now from Viz Media, containing the first 50 episodes.
  • The first movie, “Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge”, is now available on Bluray and DVD.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
244 5
So we are approaching the final battle that will last 30+ episodes? I hope that we don't have anything as drawn out as the Fake Karakura Town battles in Bleach. So far, there's been a pretty good mix of action and character development in this arc. We get the hint that maybe Gon was holding back against Knuckle and saving it for Neferpitou. Whenever Gon vs. Neferpitou happens, let's hope it's worth it. Cheetu will probably return in a little. Interested to see what happens next.

Jul 16, 2015
Ratings
214 4
So we are approaching the final battle that will last 30+ episodes? I hope that we don't have anything as drawn out as the Fake Karakura Town battles in Bleach. So far, there's been a pretty good mix of action and character development in this arc. We get the hint that maybe Gon was holding back against Knuckle and saving it for Neferpitou. Whenever Gon vs. Neferpitou happens, let's hope it's worth it. Cheetu will probably return in a little. Interested to see what happens next.
The final battle will take a long time, but there's still some setup to get to before it technically starts. This arc still hasn't introduced the most important character yet, IMO.

This episode hints at things that will have more importance down the road.

While watching this episode, I just didn't care about Gon's anger and sadness towards what happened to Kite. Probably because Kite was such a mediocre character and I didn't care about his connection to Gon. I read somewhere that in the 1999 show, Kite showed up in the beginning, but here it's not until the start of this arc. Maybe if they had introduced him earlier, his relationship to Gon would've felt more important. When I first watched this arc I thought Kite was going to turn out evil or a bad guy or something. But, then he died. I think I would've preferred had he been a bad guy or something.

Also, we won't see much (or any, I can't remember) of Gon and the crew for three weeks. The next two episodes are a special two parter and there's a marathon in between, so three weeks.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was pretty good. I was surprised that we didn't see more of Knuckle's fight with Cheetu. His power does make him more useful against the Chimera Ants than I expected, but he ran off before the fight could continue. I was also surprised that we just jumped into the group bringing Gon and Killua to Kite. It felt like I had missed a scene, but maybe it wasn't really necessary to move the plot along.

I guess that they did just want to save the reveal of Kite's design for Gon and Killua. I kept wondering if anyone would figure out that Kite was dead by the way he was moving, but the assumption that he was just under the enemy's control wasn't an unreasonable one. Those punches still looked like they hurt Gon quite a bit, but then he said that Kite's punches were much harder. I thought that Gon's sadness over Kite's situation was completely understandable. Gon cares deeply about his friends and would do whatever he could to protect them. He wanted to get back to the NGL within a few days to save Kite and was crushed when neither he or Killua could pass the test. They didn't spend a lot of time with Kite, but I thought that they developed a nice friendship for the amount of time they had together. Not to mention Kite protecting Gon and Killua effectively cost him his arms and put him in a major disadvantage for his fight with Neferpitou. I don't know if he would have had a much better chance against them with two arms, but not having a huge injury didn't help him.

I was surprised that they skipped through nearly a month later. It made sense given that Gon couldn't use Nen until that point, but I would have thought that the Chimera Ants would have done a significant amount of damage within that time frame. The King and his Royal Guards are probably keeping a lower profile, but I don't know about any of the former Chimera Ant soldiers. That test from Knuckle's master did seem to imply that either Gon was holding back considerably during his previous matches or that he did become significantly stronger during this past month even without being able to use Nen. The former wouldn't surprise me. While he did tell Knuckle to not hold back, I don't know if Gon could have done the same thing, especially when he recognized how kind Knuckle is to begin with.

It seems like they're already setting up some major battles among the different groups, but considering how long the arc is supposed to be, I imagine that there will be more setbacks for the main cast. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Stephanie Sheh voicing Izzy Park the same way she does Sailor Moon has me considering the chance of Nazneen Contractor dubbing some "Sailor Moon" episodes I currently dont plan to buy.
Watched the newest Halloween yesterday
I can’t express my unpopular opinions without someone yelling or disagreeing at me why I’m a monster for thinking that way (liking adult animation, SpongeBob’s new episodes are inferior, etc.)
If you have Starz Encore Family (Not Kids & Family, but Family...) 1 hour as of this post, they'll be playing "Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas" and "Sonic Christmas Blast". (3:19pm-4:06pm EST) Both will play again at some point.
I'm at episode 50 of {Batman: TAS ∧ Hey Arnold}.