C&C - Dragon Ball Super - "Which Universe Will Survive!? The Strongest Warriors Are All Coming Together!!" [12/15]

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
toonami2018-_main_template-png.189532
toonami2018-_dbsuper02-png.202701

95a97d94a2ad8e60187071d49b985b2a.jpg

Opening 2: Limit-Break x Survivor by Kiyoshi Hikawa
Ending 8: Boogie Back by Miyu Innoue

Last Time: After finishing his last minute training with Piccolo, Gohan challenges Goku to a fight to test his newly restored powers. At first, Tien and Piccolo join them, but soon fall back as Gohan and Goku increase the intensity. In the end, Goku still defeats his son using Super Saiyan Blue, but acknowledges his son's strength, and makes him team captain. Meanwhile, the god of destruction of Universe 10 forms a team consisting of bodybuilders.

This Time: Bored while waiting for the tournament to start, the two Zenos decide to see what the various universes are up to.

NOTES: Tonight's episode is hard to sum up because there kinda isn't one single plot; there are a bunch of different sub-plots, one which includes a whole new character voiced by Veronica Taylor! If you don't know her by name, look her up! You've no doubt heard her in something or other.

Meanwhile, this will be the final new episode of 2018. When the show returns in January, it'll still be at 11:00 PM, but will now lead the block, which is being shortened. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays.

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
Previously on Dragon Ball Super, we learned strong indication of why Zamus hated mortals before Goku came into the picture. Oh, and also, there was some father-son fighting and the son was named the leader. Something to do with auxiliary support management?

Still dealing with those RL circumstances, ARGH! I'm getting sick of it. So what will I be missing this week?

*The All King duo still being prince-like

*Last minute training where things get uncomfortable with Roshi while Goku take a bite out of Whis's defense

*Universe 9 suffering a planetary riot by some baddies wanting to escape their fate

*Hit recruiting Frost by pwning him

*Universe 11's management being slow due to hero work

*This girl in Universe 2 named Brianne de Chateau, nicknamed Ribrianne, giving viewers reason to dislike her

*Gowas's GodTube career for his bucket list

*And finally, we get some news that Buu needs Zs. Good night Buu, sleep ti-...wait, WHAT?!?!?

Nobodyman

Previously on DBS: Well, Gohan, you still can't beat your dad, but have the team leader role as a consolation prize.

Nobodyman

*sigh* Someone get those darn kids a Switch.

Whoa. We just had a creepy Popo moment.

Oh hai Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
The Rulers of the Cosmos have to be babysat.

"Only one warrior will defeat Kakarot..."
Aren't you two on the same team?

How many limitations has Goku left to go beyond?

Meanwhile, on the set of Fist of the North Star...

"I think Goku's universe is going to win the tournament!"
I KNOW Goku's universe is going to win the tournament!

Nobodyman

Oh, Yamcha, you poor deluded fool.

Roshi, shut the hell up.

So does that count as bestiality?

Goku reverts to the ol' biting technique

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Don't get your hopes up. They probably need someone to pony up for gas.

I lost all respect for Roshi after that thing at Tien's school.

Now he's trying to molest a shapeshifting cat.

Don't get his hopes up, Oolong.

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
Well if somebody gets booted, that's going to be Yamcha's chance to not be stuck being a poor dolt.

Nobodyman

And now we have a Sailor Moon parody.

Brianne transformed into her thicc form.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Meanwhile, on Space Vegas...

Please don't kill the obviously gay characters.

I think we've just found Majin Buu a girlfriend.

"She's a good reminder that we should keep an eye on the strong women of each universe, too."
Sound advice. Would that everyone did.

And everyone in the 10th Universe is doing the Harlem Shake.

DBTrilogy100

The recruitment process for the other participating universes for the Tournament of Power continues in tonight's episode. The episode starts with the Zenos at their castle playing a version of Rock-Paper-Scissors that involves using a hammer and a helmet...and they find it boring. The Omni-Kings summon the Grand Minister and ask him to tell them something interesting, so the Grand Minister conjures a holo-screen and tells them that Goku has completed filling out the roster for the Universe 7 Team and the Omni-Kings are delighted to hear this news. Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Tien, Shin, Old Kai, Beerus & Whis have gathered at Capsule Corporation and the Divine Beings of Universe 7 congratulated Goku for filling up the roster for the Universe 7 Team. Goku asks where Vegeta is and Gohan answers that Vegeta has gone to Kami's Lookout for some last minute training; Mr. Popo warns Vegeta (with a close-up shot that brings DBZ Abridged to mind) that he will be banned from the Hyperbolic Time Chamber if he destroys it again (like he did in the Zamasu Saga) but he figures Vegeta won't listen when Vegeta scoffs in response. Goku wonders how he should train and Old Kai offers to perform the Ultimate/Mystic Ritual on Goku like he did for Gohan during the Buu Saga but Shin points out that there isn't enough time to finish the 25 hong ritual before the Tournament of Power starts; Goku then asks Whis for some last minute training and Whis agrees to do so, much to Goku's gratitude.

Watching Goku from the holo-screen, the Omni-Kings are pleased with Goku's progress and want to start the Tournament of Power right away but the Grand Minister advices that they stick with the time that was set because other participating universes still need to finish filling out their respective team rosters. Universe 9's Supreme Kai watches as some mortals revolt on a city on a planet after hearing about the stakes for losing the Tournament of Power and the Trio of Danger admit to Universe 9's Destroyer & Universe 9's Angel Assistant (voiced by Howard Wang) that they could find any other team members besides themselves; Universe 9's Destroyer uses the Hakai Technique on the revolting city and decides they need to head to a different planet. The Grand Minister is disappointed by the revolt after seeing it on the holo-screen and the Zenos think Universe 7 will win the Tournament since it's Goku's home but they also admit that Universe 6 is known to have powerful fighters; the Grand Minister acknowledges that Universe 6 & Universe 7 are "twin universes" and changes the holo-screen to Universe 6. Frost is wearing a cloak while hiding in an alley of a rainy city and sees Hit arrive; Frost assumes Hit is here to assassinate him and pretends to surrender so that he can land a poison needle attack on Hit. Hit is able to avoid the attacks but admits that Frost has sharpened his skills during his time on the run; Hit tells Frost that he was sent by Champa to find & recruit Frost for the Universe 6 Team for the Tournament of Power because his survival instincts could be useful for their victory and Frost will die if he refuses the offer. Frost is happy to accept the offer and sees this as a chance to reclaim his honor; Hit tells Frost to not use his poison needles because weapons are forbidden and the punishment for cheating before telling Frost to follow him.

Back in Universe 7, Yamcha is in bed growing bored waiting to be invited to join the Universe 7 Team and Puar keeps him company; Master Roshi & Oolong arrive to talk...but Roshi has arrived to ask Puar to shape-shift into a human female to help him over come his perverted tendencies, Oolong didn't want to because of a time when he shape-shifted into Bulma's form during DB. Yamcha & Puar begrudgingly agree to Roshi's request and Yamcha asks Oolong if Yamcha will be invited to join the Universe 7 Team; Oolong gives Yamcha half-hearted assurance. Goku & Whis conduct their training in the training room at Capsule Corporation. In Universe 11, Top & Dispo are in a fancy restaurant (while wearing formal suits) and they are waiting for Casserale to arrive; Top contacts Casserale, who is in the middle of trying to rescue a cat from a badly wired building. Casserale says he will be there once he finishes this emergency; Dispo points out that their universe's existence is on the line but Casserale insists that he can't save the universe if he can't save a life in front of him and turns off his communicator.

The Grand Minister tells the Zenos about how the Universe 11 Team will consist of the Pride Troopers and the Omni-Kings consider Universe 11 having a chance at winning; the Grand Minister also brings up Universe 11's twin being Universe 2 and changes the holo-screen to Universe 2. In a city that brings Las Vegas to mind, someone who resembles a human female with green hair is walking towards a building that is auditioning for fighters for the Universe 2 Team; two audition candidates in line think the green haired woman is under the mistaken believe that the audition is a pop idol audition and mock her over it. The green haired woman (voiced by Veronica Taylor, best known as the voice of Ash Ketchum, Delia Ketchum & May from the 4Kids Dub of the Pokémon Anime and Sailor Pluto in the Viz Media Dub of Sailor Moon) asks if they are talking to her and introduces herself as "Brianne de Chateau"; Brianne says she's stronger then them and begins a Sailor Moon-esque transformation that changes her into...a blue Teletubby known as "Ribrianne". Ribrianne then attacks the two with the "Pretty Cannon"; the Omni-Kings are amazed by Ribrianne's power and the Grand Minister comments that Universe 10 have finished their team roster too as he changes the holo-screen to Universe 10. On Universe 10's Planet of the Kais, Universe 10's Angel Assistant leads the Universe 10 Team in a dance video that is being recorded by Gowasu to post on GodTube with the intent of raising moral in Universe 10.

The Omni-Kings enjoy the dance and the Grand Minister notices that something is up in Universe 7. Hercule/Mr. Satan/Mark calls Bulma to tell her that Buu has fallen asleep and won't wake up for 2 months and Bulma tells the others at Capsule Corporation; Goku heads off to try to wake Buu up and leaves before Beerus can come along (Beerus is still angry over the pudding from the Beerus Saga and Buu falling asleep during the written exam for the Tournament of Destroyers in the Champa Saga). The episode ends with the arena for the Tournament of Power still being built in the Null Realm and Goku flying off to wake Buu up.

This episode felt like a "calm before the storm" sort of episode for the most part and I did appreciate seeing a bit of most of the other participating universes (we didn't get to see Universe 3 and Universe 4), as well as their respective preparation progresses. The Mr. Popo close-up reminded me of DBZ Abridged and I heard Toei Animation are aware of it (they were apparently responsible for why the Team Four Cast voices were removed from the Cell Games Movie Reenactment scene in DBZ Kai). I admit, it would have been cool to see Ultimate/Mystic Goku. Roshi is trying to get rid of his perverted ways but I understand that some are wondering if he will relapse (whether during the tournament itself or after the tournament); I recall Akira Toriyama mentioning Puar being male in an interview but it was good that they gave an explicit answer in the series, itself. I figured Frost would be recruited for the Universe 6 Team despite his true colors being revealed since desperate times call for desperate measures. I never expected Veronica Taylor to join the cast of the DB Franchise but it's a great surprise all the same; I heard Ribrianne is a hated character among some fans (or at least, a vocal minority) but I liked Veronica Taylor's performance so far and will wait to see more of the character. The dance video for Universe 10 was pretty funny and Universe 10's Angel Assistant continues to be rather adorable. I won't lie, I hate that Buu fell asleep again; I hated it when he fell asleep during the Champa Saga and it still bothers me here. At the same time, I'm grateful he got to participate in the Zeno Expo. Now the Universe 7 Team needs to find a new fighter to take Buu's place. It looks like we'll have to wait 2 weeks before Toonami resumes new (dub) episodes, that was quite the cliffhanger to end the year on; good thing I'm a patient person.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Buu fell asleep again? Not very reliable, is he?

And so much for seeing him in his slim form.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts