C&C - Dragon Ball Super - "Let's Do It, Grand Zeno! The Universes' Best Tournament!!" [8/25]

Latest News & Videos

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
Last Time: Krillin and Goku face off against all their past villains, but Krillin doesn't handle it as well when he realizes that almost all of these villains have killed him in previous battles! After panicking for quite a bit, he comes to realize that the way to conquer the Forest of Terror is to conquer your fear. After bravely facing down his former enemies, Krillim comes out of the forest with a new sense of self-confidence, which is what Roshi was hoping for all along.

This Time: Peace has returned to Earth, leaving the two Zenos (and Goku) bored. Goku, wishing for some excitement, decides to ask the two Zenos about the upcoming tournament...

NOTES: Well, this is it. The final arc of Dragon Ball Super begins tonight! However, for those of you who feel sad to see the show go, don't be - at least not yet. The Universe Survival arc is by far the longest arc in the show. How long? Longer than all the other arcs in the show combined (although some people divide this arc into two separate arcs, more on that later).

Meanwhile, the keen-eyes among you may notice that starting with tonight's episode, the animation style is slightly different, utilizing a darker color palette. In general, many fans agree the overall animation quality goes up with this arc, and the fights as well. So, enjoy.

And no spoilers! Zeno wouldn't be happy.

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
May 25, 2009
CA
Previously on Dragon Ball Super, this felt like preparation for something big.

Considering what is going to happen, I may as well point to a comment I had made about God stuff that can be found here. Let me point to the thread by whoisthisgit. If the Love vote for WITG's comment comes across as narcissistic, I apologize; in the first place, a good chunk of the reason I had made the video was to deconstruct the myopic mentality of the Advance Wars subreddit. WITG had made that comment in his annoyance with Rivals (the AW1 level) in general, never mind Rivals AC, that reached the point where Rivals got a Worst Levels Ever episode on its own. My intent was to get the comment semi-stickied to underscore how the Advance Wars subreddit's darwinism is a load.

I wish I could keep on talking about that to get into the subject of gaming communities' bullies, a problem I have thought about recently especially in light of gaming involving the concept of escapism, but that's going to get too far off topic so I'll just leave you guys with this testimony full of URLed evidence for those wondering why the AW subreddit is awful. Or people could PM me, talk on my profile, whatever.

Here's the comment I mean to directly point to, in spoiler tag for length convenience (no spoilers, don't worry):
While we don't know if God is physically real, note that I say "physically"--and keep in mind that we definitely know the story with Santa Claus. My old man had once pointed out that Santa doesn't need to be physically real either to genuinely exist. Besides, for all we know, God could be the entire universe

Something I realize now is that fashioning oneself as one of God's soldiers or agents or whatnot is surprisingly humble enough. Oh it can be abused, but a friend pointed out how believing in God is still a good sign of altruism, just have to be steadfast about it. I'll admit, though, I'm worried when God can have reason to come across as a power abuser caring too much about the status quo, but even if (s)he is, I'd be for reminding him/her of the better reasons why people would want to revere him/her.

I'll cut to the chase: I did point out that a friend mentioned that believing in God would show altruism, that doing so would be indicative of being willing to work with others. I'll admit I can get lost on that point, but I can tell you something that I'd want to believe in: Genki Girls being pure-of-heart angels worth looking after, not least because they'd do the same for you and actually can prove they actually aren't as dumb as they can seem even if they would have clearer blind spots in their intelligence. Of course, there are times where we would see indication with them that Pure Is Not Good and Light Is Not Good. Funny, by the way, how DBS had involved a villain who followed those two tropes, and the clincher is how Zamus, for all his sadism and narcissism sending him into Complete Monster territory, already proved to have valid points worth digging up when his reason for detesting mortals boils down to them being too physical for their own good--his problem was tarring all mortals with the same brush and the severity of how he acted upon as much. Especially since Goku, a primary target of Zamus's wrath, is at least benevolent enough that you can trust him with your life, certainly a lot more than you can trust him to not leave healing items on the toilet.

So how would this relate to our omnipotent friend All King? What we have seen of him indicates a young prince. And I do emphasize "young" there because he's rather interested in fun, to say the least. In fact, didn't he destroy 6 Universes on a whim? Though granted, that's just word of mouth, but considering that it came from Whis, cool guy he is BTW and I would expect he'd double check his sources if he'd even need to do that much, suffice to say that I can't blame the Destroyers and Creators for being scared into brown-nosing.

Here's the question I want to pose from that, the one to keep in mind throughout the arc: who watches the watchmen?

TC mentioned that DBS is now going to use a darker color palette for the animation. May I also mention how Opening 2 is, as you're going to see, darker in tone than Opening 1. This is going to prove to be deserved, and our little omnipotent prince is going to provide at least a good chunk of the reason for that. Where I go with the latter part of my comment is how when God just plain abuses his power, we can find ourselves subject to God Is Evil, and when that happens, benevolent reason to believe in God goes bye-bye in the midst of arbitrary bias. Come to think of it, that sounds like the Advance Wars subreddit, which, as I'll state yet again, celebrates the trolls in its myopia. What really sticks out about it is how this would inevitably involve a favorite trope of mine: David VS Goliath.

No, I'm not being sarcastic when I say "favorite", because the David VS Goliath trope is what you expect: the good guy is the clear underdog from his own weaknesses, never mind what the bad guy has to work with. It provides a lesson that creativity is what is good and can even be used to overcome personal adversity. It's a point of interest for me having given Pac-Man his own dedicated video for my Smash 4 Frail Sniper character, Melee Tornado player project; good luck evading fighting at close range where you're far easier to hit when you have to fight at close range where you're far easier to hit. The point is, when we get rewarded for not being products of our weaknesses or circumstances, that would surely improve things, so it becomes preferable for works and society to indicate as much.

Of course, Tropes Are Tools. We still have to consider the direction of that creativity to make sure this doesn't degenerate into becoming a contest of talent at any cost, because that can still happen. Zamus did have a foundation for his genocidal crusade, no matter how awful the crusade itself at the very least proved. All King, where he stands, could prove to be not that different from Zamus, and his personality helps provide that concern. Though ironically, that same personality does provide hope he would listen if anything becomes problematic. Really, we would want to hope the characters of Dragon Ball could genuinely revere him, and if he's shown his reasons for any problems he causes are indeed off, especially from contradiction, I don't doubt that will hit him with reminders of points like how with great power comes great responsibility, or how power doesn't make morality whatsoever, or...yeah, you get the point.

Oh, and by the way, my comment, the one I self-quote, was made....definitely before February 6, 2018, although since it is marked with "(Edited)" and YouTube doesn't show when the last edit was, you'd have to take my word that that's the case, that there was no significant editing since a given point in time. What does that have to do with anything? Well, that's a tale for another time. If you want to listen, PMs help.

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
U.S.A.
Previously on DBS: Turns out the only way to win is to not win. Now lets go home and smoke weed.

And Dragon Ball Super continues the tradition of only changing the opening for the final arc.

Did they just say "I can't get no satisfaction"? I think Mick Jagger's gonna sue someone.

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
Jun 10, 2016
I'm reading Reddit reactions since I can't watch the live stream yet... IS THE OP REALLY DUBBED????

A.Magik

Sep 28, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I really like the beginning scene of Farmer Goku. These vendors don't know Goku as a Tournament champion or fighter; to them, he is just a skilled farmer. It's a nice definition, as well as showing that Goku can actually have a talent on something that doesn't require Ki blasts or hitting someone. It reminds me of Episode 52, when Trunks visits Gohan at the University; we spot students looking at Trunks (and who have probably met Gohan) and the Ice cream vendor that has a popular customer in Gohan. I love the way SUPER no longer has its cast in a vacuum of Mt. Pouzu, Capsule Corporation, Kame Island, or the Temple Lookout; now they interact with society.

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
May 25, 2009
CA
Those lyrics....I thought the lyrics had said something about the door of possibilities still being locked? The dub involves different stuff, doesn't it?

ZeroKelvin

The Last Samurai
Jun 6, 2015
Texas
"What else could we play?"

Well, you two could engage in a staring contest...

"3 on 1? That's unfair... *cracks knuckles*... for you guys."

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
U.S.A.
Of all the people in all the towns in the all the world, they had to try to carjack him.

Goku got scratched by a bullet. No way in hell.

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
May 25, 2009
CA
Yeah, Goku has find the right balance, doesn't he. At least we saw a show of how Dragon Ball likes its Showy Invincible Hero trope.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The teaser is good. The comments saying "Release The Snyder Cut" are not.
Is the concept of good scheduling just dead at this point, I'm looking at PlutoTv and most of the time they just got the same show on repeat.
As someone who just got into Usagi Yojimbo, I am so hyped for the cartoon.
Saw the Descendants short Audrey's Royal Return. I will not miss this franchise. That was a disaster.
I'd tell Pumpkin Spice to go back where he came from but I'm not sure he'd still fit in the bottom of an outhouse.